1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Why don't people like IE?

Discussion in 'Web Browsers' started by KenBrace, Feb 28, 2015.

1. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Why is Internet Explorer becoming less and less popular. It is still being used by lots of people but I'm definitely seeing its decline. Browsers like Chrome & Firefox are taking its place.

So what is it about IE that makes it unattractive? Is it the look & feel? The features?

2. toradrake Member

toradrake

Its slow, has issues (crashes a lot), and old school.

3. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

4. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

I would have to agree. I think that it is the speed of the browser that causes people to steer away from it. I also think the look of Chrome is much better than that of Internet Explorer.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

I think that now they are coming out with a new browser they are not too concerned with how IE is. I have noticed that IE has been getting progressively worse in the past few years and does not seem to be improving even with updates.

6. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

That's interesting. I've heard something about that but not many details.

I think that's a bad move on their part though. It sounds crazy for Microsoft to invent a new default browser for Windows after having IE for so long.

Why not just revamp Internet Explorer I wonder?

7. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

@KenBrace - I have also heard about this.

Perhaps Microsoft have decided to start again with a new web browser as the current IE may be too bulky. With years of code and updates it could get quite messy and with new technology it may be simpler to start the build again with a fresh design and application.

8. Rainman New Member

Rainman

I don't know why "most" people don't like IE. so I'll only speak for myself. At around the time Firefox was released they offered more features than IE 6 had and it [that version of Firefox] was faster. Instead of copying what the Firefox developers had done right, IE developers were complacent.

The browser was not updated for quite a long time but even then the improvements didn't make the browser any better. The exodus to Firefox and other browsers like Opera started then.

Since then I suppose most of those who made the switch didn't bother trying to find out if any new versions of Internet Explorer were better.

Then there's something else. Add-ons add more functionality to browsers. Internet Explorer has very few add-ons so that would be another good reason why most people don't use that browser.

9. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Yeah no one really gets addons for IE. They only do that with Chrome and Firefox.

That seems to be about the way I remember it. Everyone used IE. That's all you heard of. Then suddenly you started hearing everyone talk about all these other browsers.

I remember the first time I ever heard of Firefox. A friend of my dad's came over and they were on the topic of browsers. I had never really heard of anything but IE at that point. Then he starts telling us that this new browser called Firefox was super awesome. Both my dad and myself were skeptical and didn't pay much attention but it wasn't long before the new browsers over took the market.

My primary browser is Chrome at the moment. I rarely use IE.

10. toradrake Member

toradrake

Now this is just my opinion based on observation. I think that what happened is that Microsoft being as big as it was did not have the foresight to understand that other browsers would overtake IE. They believed to be so embedded in people and the fact that it was apart of the software that came with ever computer that they would never have to worry. So they never improved on the browser and just did updates to keep with the times. Cause if you remember up until the mid 2000's (could be wrong about time frame), it was all about designing sites to work best in IE and not so much the other browsers. It was the dominating browser. Now they are seeing the loss of users for their browser and realize that it may be too late to try and save it. So they have decided to explore other browsers and create a new one using some of the features of the most popularly used browsers. They will slowly integrate it into the system and over time, slowly phase IE out with the hopes to overtake the browser market again.

KenBrace likes this.
  11. lordrenly New Member

lordrenly

Personally, and I think most of the people here would agree that IE is way too slow that it is not worth using anymore. I don't know whether it is slow because it is too heavy or because of bad implementation but I don't think I was able to make it lighter by disabling some of its features and add-ons.

However, there are certain websites/programs that are only compatible with IE so I don't abandon it completely. Overall, I use only probably for 5% of my activities.

12. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I still use it as well. I like to alternate between browsers. I get bored if I use a particular one for too long. I might use Chrome for a while then use Opera or IE for a while. Then maybe Firefox. My primary browser is still Chrome but I like to mix things up every now and then. I honestly experience roughly the same speed with all browsers. Some of them might be slightly faster than others but I don't really notice it. I prefer certain browsers over others mainly because the look & feel not necessarily the performance.

13. Converse Active Member

Converse

Someone is still using it because it's still the most common browser accessing any of my sites, and I don't use it myself.

14. toradrake Member

toradrake

I can't remember when the last time I used IE was. I can't even remember if I still have it on my computer or not. LOL It has become pretty much obsolete to me because I find it to be very useless. Ok I just checked. I do still have it.

15. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

What version of internet explorer do you have?

16. toradrake Member

toradrake

I have IE 11. When I opened it, it updated. I think it was 9 or 10 last I used it.

17. xTinx New Member

xTinx

I hear some developers prefer to use IE better than Mozilla and Chrome because it's easier to deal with whenever they test run the programs they're making. I personally don't like it because it takes time to load but that could be because it's been ages since I last updated the browser. But I've already tried the IE 11 version and it's still not working for me unfortunately. My current bias is Mozilla.

18. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I'm a web developer and I've had the opposite experience. Styling a web site is easier to do in chrome or opera. If you know you're CSS you can make it fit all the browsers most of the time but there are certain properties that aren't available or don't work properly in IE. I wish all browsers used the same kind of CSS as Chrome. That would make front end programming a lot easier.

19. toradrake Member

toradrake

IE, from my experience, seems to be the only one that makes things difficult. All the other browsers have conformed to each other, but IE has to resist. As I stated before, when I worked in the industry, sites were designed on IE because the majority of the world used that browser and if it was not configured correctly it did not work correctly in IE. I still run across sites that look one way in Firefox and Chrome then they do in IE and they even have features that only work in IE. I wish I could remember which sites they were, I would include a link so you could see it for yourselves. IE dominated the market for so long, they got too big for themselves. So big in fact, they made themselves obsolete.

20. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Well it would certainly seem that way but like @Converse and others have mentioned you would be surprised to find that often IE is the most commonly used browser on their site. I heard another forum admin say this. I haven't checked my site but I think I will soon. So more people are using it than we think.