1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Which TWO of these directories would you most like to have your site listed in?

Discussion in 'Directory Reviews' started by WDFAdmin, Oct 29, 2014.

?

Which TWO of these directories would you most like to have your site listed in?

1. AMRAY

30.0%
  2. Aviva Directory

20.0%
  3. Best of the Web

20.0%
  4. Directory Journal

30.0%
  5. DMOZ

80.0%
  6. Jasmine Directory

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. JoeAnt

10.0%
  8. Skaffe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Viesearch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. WoW Directory

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WDFAdmin Administrator

WDFAdmin

Staff Member

If you don't know anything about any of them, don't feel obligated to vote. These directories were all in our top ten last quarter though, and links to them can be found in the footer of this forum.

2. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

You might say that I'm voting for AMRAY Directory for obvious reason but you'll be wrong.

In my opinion 2 directories I have selected AMRAY and Directory Journal are the closest
    to what Directories should and one day would looks like and being Postal is the way to go.

:)

fastreplies

3. CallieJo New Member

CallieJo

It would all depend on which website I would be submitting.

My most important websites are all centered around specific niches. I'd much rather submit these websites to niche directories that have some value to them. Value meaning that they offer more than a directory of links. Such as good content related to that specific niche.

My business website is already listed in several of those directories as well as location and niche specific directories. I submitted to them a long time ago.

If I had to choose from the list above, I'd definitely at least choose DMOZ and JoeAnt. I've used them the most in the past.

4. blur92 New Member

blur92

I am a very visual person so my decision was largely based on appearance. DirJournal is well designed. Anything graphically appealing has advantage at first. A cluttered looking site loses interest quickly. When I took a look at Aviva I did not bother to browse through it long. The directory list on the homepage reminds me of advertisements listed when I search something. I do not think the design in the upper right hand corner is professional either. JoeAnt looks organized. The only aspect I do not like is the logo. The color choice is fine, but the rest of it appears outdated. Another very clean, orderly appearing directory is Jasmine. Although I think white as the main color is ideal, the chosen blues compliment each other and are easy on the eyes. Also, I appreciate the texture on the banner. Viesearch looks fairly professional. My first impression of it was that it was simple to navigate through. Hoovering over the links for more categories is a good idea. Skaffe caught my eye at first due to the navigation bar on top. However, the text announcements saying 'new' in italics made me view it as less professional. That is a very minor matter, though. Best of the Web is bland looking to me. As a web user I would be attracted to something more detailed like DirJournal. I liked AMRAY a lot except the firetruck red text looks mismatched with everything else. Moreover, the font is too small and the banner is chaotic. It needs to be centered and simplified The background image is a nice touch. DMOZ is very straightforward, organized, and I have little criticism to give on it. The only thing that may be worth mentioning is that the side margins are too wide. WoW is designed extremely well. It may sound silly, though, but the site's name brings to mind World of Warcraft to mind first. If someone were to search for it (I tried) the first results are going to be for the game. Someone who is in a hurry or impatient may easily miss the directory.

Converse likes this.
  5. Converse Active Member

Converse

Thank you for a detailed description of the reasons behind your choices, @blur92 . Although I don't necessarily agree with you, the appeal or lack of appeal to a directory (or any other website) is highly subjective, and your opinions are as valuable as anyone else's, and the fact that you can define your reasoning makes it more valuable than most. Your post was interesting, and I like it.

blur92 likes this.
  6. blur92 New Member

blur92

Thanks, Converse. I agree that it is subjective and everyone's opinions are valuable. Honestly, I am fairly new to web directories, but they have caught my interest. I am hoping to gain a lot out of this site. Oftentimes I look for specific websites that appeal to an interest of mine but with little luck. This forum looks as if it will help me out. I have already discovered useful information from this thread. I got a taste of a various directories with mostly unique styles.

7. Jill Original Member

Jill

Original

My favorites are Aviva and DirJournal but since the question asks which I would most like to have my site listed in, I couldn't pass up DMOZ, since it offers more authority than any of the others. I don't especially like DMOZ but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want my site listed there.

8. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

DMOZ for one and AMRAY for the Second. I know, having submitted a couple of sites back in 2006-8 and still being marked as pending, DMOZ is way slower and more strict, but still, there is something I love (why only me, it is the world too) about DMOZ - their credibility is one factor and the other factor a little personal - is this was the Directory which I used when learning about what web directories are about.

blur92 and Converse like this.
  9. jdroc New Member

jdroc

So why doesn't DMOZ have an express service like most other directories? Is it to hold on to tradition, or just the .org at the end?

10. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

They have a tradition of verifying things manually which is time consuming and this "Manual Doing of Things" is the reason they have been able to survive and build a reputation for them. They have earned the Trust of millions and even most of Today's Search Engines - who don't care a damn for many other Directories.

In my personal, non-technical opinion, doing a thing manually lends a personal touch, and there are some parameters that machines or rather, computer programs cannot handle.

jdroc and blur92 like this.
  11. blur92 New Member

blur92

Manual verification is respectable and sets a good impression. People may gain the idea that these sites are higher quality because they were reviewed before acceptance. Overall, I agree with you.

12. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

And I forgot to add - As far as I know, the people who verify the sites are all volunteers. This means, the people behind the task are passionate about what they do and are not there for the sake of money :)

blur92 likes this.
  13. blur92 New Member

blur92

:) that's pleasant to know. This makes the site doubly respectable, and I think it's safe to say the content is good quality. People doing tasks for money commonly don't care about what they do. It's just about getting the job done as quickly or mindlessly as possible. Of course, this is not an absolute rule. There are still many who are passionate about the job while at the same time earning wages for it; or there are those who value doing a good job out of integrity.

14. Converse Active Member

Converse

Other than a few people who are employees of AOL, and who have other tasks that they perform for AOL as well, DMOZ is entirely staffed by volunteers. The staff are there to handle technical problems that might come up with the software the powers DMOZ, to make improvements that require access to the code, and to sometimes be an arbiter in rare disputes that may erupt in the internal forums. Otherwise, DMOZ is volunteer driven and always has been.

SimplySidy likes this.