1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

What was your first online job?

Discussion in 'Monetizing' started by athena02, Oct 30, 2014.

1. athena02 New Member

athena02

Mine was rewriting a document of nearly 20k words. Even though the pay was really meager (only $50), I was pretty excited about netting my first online job.

I'm still surprised nowadays that I accepted this, but I have no regrets as it helped me get to where I am today, and I guess we all have to start somewhere.

2. Billy New Member

Billy

I was writing articles for a guy that I met on Digital Point. He was a nice guy, but I was writing 400 word articles for $3 a piece. It took me a long time daily just to make $30, and I got burned out really quickly..

3. Shan Barton New Member

Shan Barton

Editing articles that were to be published on an online home improvement magazine back in 2011. This was a very interesting job for me considering that it paid $4 for a 500 word article. The editing work was very simpe and the job lasted a good 7 months. I would edit 10-15 articles in about an hour or two and that was it. I am surprised that the client is today one of the top home improvement sites online. They have made tremendous progress over the years to beat the competition online. I feel prroud to have contributed to that in some way because they always insisted on error-free articles for their readers.

Converse likes this.
  4. jdroc New Member

jdroc

I just got my first online job last week. I will write two articles a month for 10 bucks a piece. It's a website about themes and wordpress plugins. I know the pay sucks, but he offered a bio and a back link so I do need the advertising. I plan on using jobs like this to use on my resume. I hate not having any published works to show. Especially since I know I can write better than at least 70% of the stuff I see on blogs and other websites. I can crank out a keyword optimized article in about two-three hours. When I attempted my first website on my own, I noticed all my articles were over 1,000 words. I didn't know that 500-750 words would get it done depending on the subject matter. This is why I decided I can write for others and still find time to do my own thing. I don't want to learn to write effective sales copy. I understand what it takes to get people too buy, but figure I probably need training to write this kind of copy effectively.

Converse likes this.
  5. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

My first online gig was writing five 500-word articles for a client. The pay was peanuts! I'm not sure why I accepted that job. But it was sort of like a blessing in disguise because that was when I first learned about SEO. Soon after, I started my own blog. I still write for clients from time to time, but for the most part, I'm busy with my own sites.

6. Scorp Member

Scorp

My first ever income online (I won't call it a job) was a little keyword research task I did on this site. I got $0.25 cents for doing that.

It's nothing much, but they didn't have a minimum payout amount, and they actually sent me that money after I earned it. I was amazed, that's was the first crucial step to me becoming a believer, that money can actually be made online.

The next payment I got from this Captcha site, which was around $3. That was the next step, moving up in the world, from $0,25cents to $3 bucks.

The next payment I received was from Mylot, for participating on that site. That was almost $5.

And then I received some smaller payments from some Paid To Click sites...

Then I got paid $10 from Humanatic, for reviewing phone calls.

Eventually, I also got into transcription, and that's the first time I got an over $50 payment. And then I just kept pursuing transcription, and everything else I could get my hands on, and now I live from this "internet thing."

A true hustler baby! ;)

7. CyberGal New Member

CyberGal

My first online gig was with Associated Content, which then became Yahoo Voices before being dissolved. This was 10 years ago and it led to a lot of work up until last summer. It seems that now I can't find any writing work so now I do a lot of mTurk and transcription. I'm doing whatever it is to be able to work from home and still pay the bills because that's what I need to do. However, I am finding that it's growing harder and harder each year. I remember knowing this was going to happen a few years ago though after one of Google's big updates.

8. Rainman New Member

Rainman

My first online job was writing a 1 minute commercial for a game that was being created. The video was to be posted on youtube and a number of different video sites. I'd never written a commercial before though I had some experience writing scripts [which was why I was hired]. The client who hired me guided me through the process and once we were done I wrote a number of stories and the business relationship would have lasted longer but since I didn't have lots of free time then . . . we had to part ways.

9. Arianna New Member

Arianna

Ebay selling, photographing, editing, and shipping. $2,000 a week. It was beautiful. It took roughly three weeks. Someone set me up with everything and I figured out the rest. I lost my source for the product itself though. It is amazing when you get it right on the internet. I keep trying but I haven't seen it since, soon I hope.

10. Billy New Member

Billy

That really sucks. I hope you saved some of the money that you can put towards other ventures. I've heard of some many people being in the same situation, and unfortunately, they assume that it's going to last forever, only to wake up one day to $0 in their bank account.

11. Arianna New Member

Arianna

Well that was actually part time believe it or not. I had another job. I spent a lot of money then and had rent. I wish I had saved. I've been doing that over the past year. What I really hope is that I can figure out how to do it again, but that I make more money. Steady and continuous is the other one. I feel like it is going to happen again. It has to I am do.

Billy likes this.
  12. starlight22 New Member

starlight22

I did many different tasks online and signed up to earn money on quite a lot of sites. My first online job has to be writing and I enjoy doing this very much. You can do mostly any job online which is very cool. There are other things I'm interested in like voice over acting and so much more. I'll be working from home for a long time.

13. xTinx New Member

xTinx

I started out as an online academic writer and then later on branched out to SEO content writing and virtual assistance. My forte is still writing. I accept all kinds of online writing gigs though I've now shifted my focus to creative writing since it's basically something I'm more comfortable doing compared to academic writing and other technical forms of writing.

14. Billy New Member

Billy

That's the thing with earning money online. You never know how long it will last. I had something similar happen a few years back. I finally thought that "I made it" because I successfully ranked a site to position #3 for a 6600 monthly searched keyword, and once I got to that position, I started making $10 to $15 a day in AdSense. I know that's not huge, but this was the moment that earning money online went from being a dream to something that was real for me. Within a few weeks, I was hit by a Google penalty, I think it was the "too many ads above the fold" which did not apply to my site at all, but I had a large banner across the top and could only think that that was the only logical explanation. A lot of sites get caught in the Google crossfire.

15. ockham New Member

ockham

My very first online gig was making some fake JavaScript code as a gag for somebody. Got $5 from it, so I can't complain. :D

16. Jason76 Member

Jason76

My first online job, and the one which now brings in the most cash, involves being an affilate of a major job website. Actually, I was teaching ESL in South Korea, and I had to work with a lot of recruitment companies. Working with them gave me the idea of putting up an employment website.

17. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

My first online job was writing on forums. I mean it wasn't a ton of money, but it was good enough for just writing online. I always knew when you started to write online that you wouldn't be able to make a ton of money. The best thing that you can do is work on a bunch of different sites. That's what I've been doing and it's been going pretty well. Looking back on the first time I started working online to now, I'd say that I'm doing pretty good.

18. Scorp Member

Scorp

What sites do you write on Danielle?

Are you writing to sell articles, like on iWriter? Or on sites where you bid on jobs, like Freelancer, Elance and the like? Or is it like a revenue sharing type thing like Hubpages and stuff?

19. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I have tried out Freelancer and Elance and they just didn't work for me. I'm in college so I don't have a ton of experience like many of the people who are using the site to work from. There are so many people on that site that it's hard to even be considered for a job which is one of the things that I hated. I have tried working for Triond and Bubblews, but you don't really get paid so it's not a great job. So right now I have been using PostLoops to make some extra money in hopes that I can find something else where I can also make some money.

20. Scorp Member

Scorp

I have those sites - Freelancer, Elance, oDesk, and the like. They're bidding sites, I call them begging sites.

I used to write and make moeny on Bubblews, until they stopped paying. They're not reliable, forget about that site.

PL is good. It's legit. They pay.

You can also try Fiverr, make a gig offering writing services, and whatever else you can do. Also check out iWriter, they're pretty good too and legit. They've been around for a while.