1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

What was used before SQL?

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by KenBrace, Mar 1, 2015.

1. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

What did web developers use database wise before MySQL came along?

Any know?

I can't imagine programming a website without having MySQL at MyDispoal. :D

2. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

That is an interesting question. All of my websites that I create now have at least one database. A lot of websites wouldn't still be here if they did not exist.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

LOL I have no clue and a very good question. I even went around trying to find the answer and can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking and see if I come up with something.

4. Ray Active Member

Ray

In the old days, before PHP and SQL were commonly used, most forums, web directories, and content management system ran on "Common Gateway Interface", commonly referred to as cgi, and all the script files and data were stored in the root directory of the site, in a folder called cgi-bin.

My first directory script, back in 2000, was a massive cgi script that accomplished all the directory functions, and all the data was kept in the data folder within the script's folder in the cgi-bin. This system was very inefficient and server-intensive, but it was the latest technology of the times and, for years, it was considered the gold standard by most programmers.

Then the dinosaurs came... and... you know the rest of the story :).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    KenBrace, Converse and ksguy like this.
  5. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

@Ray - That is a very interesting point! What were the file sizes of a CGI file? I am assuming that with the amount of data some of them would contain, they could have been very big and somewhat hard to navigate and understand.

6. Ray Active Member

Ray

I don't have those details, it's been a long time since I had that setup but, I think I've answered the original question in this thread.

7. Aminur Rahman New Member

Aminur Rahman

Couple of searches on internet i couldn't find anything relevant of this topic. If you find
    what was exactly used before SQL please let me know. Thanks!