1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

What To Look For In Hosting

Discussion in 'Directory Operation' started by toradrake, Feb 14, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

I asked this question in another forum for the forum side of my site, but I need a little more information pertaining to the directory side of my site.

You guys know about the crazy site I am building, so I will not go into all of that.

I am trying to build my own server to host my entire site on. I need to know how though. What am I going to need for my server to work properly with a forum, web store, directory.... etc. So basically, when trying to find a hosting service what would I look for there for my directory to work properly?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

Are you talking about dedicated hosting?

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

Seeing no answer, if you are planning on a large general directory, and intend to host it on the same hosting plan as your forum and other sites, you may find that you will need a dedicated hosting account. Of course, that gets into a whole other level of complexity.

Basically, your options are shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated hosting. Within these options, there are various levels. I would look for a hosting company that offers each, and ask them about the difficulty of moving from one plan to another, as well as your options if you should need some help in doing so.

A smaller, niche-type directory can do fine on a shared hosting plan, although I would still pay a few dollars a month for a dedicated IP.

VPS is something in between shared hosting and a dedicated server, and some hosts allow managed or unmanaged options, depending on needs and abilities.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  4. jblogger New Member

jblogger

@Converse is there too much price difference between a VPS and a dedicated hosting account? Because a VPS is an obvious choice if you want to have control of your host compared with a shared host. But in the end of the day a VPS have to share its resources with other virtual servers on the same host so the use other people make of their servers may impact yours. If both options, a VPS and a dedicated host, are in the same price range then the real obvious choice is a dedicated one.

5. Converse Active Member

Converse

It's shared hosting, but you should have a larger share with VPS hosting. How large of a share will depend on which VPS hosting plan you choose, as there are usually three or more options within VPS hosting. The lower levels of VPS hosting are roughly the same as the higher levels of shared hosting.

The reason I suggested contacting a prospective host first is that the difficulty levels differ from one host to another. If you can fairly easily upgrade from VPS hosting to dedicated hosting, then it might make sense to start out with VPS hosting, since it's considerably cheaper than dedicated hosting. Until your volume of traffic and resource needs require it, you could then save the money that you would otherwise spend on dedicated hosting.

6. jblogger New Member

jblogger

Ok, now I have a better understanding about what you where talking. So a VPS is a good place to start if one is looking for more features and control than what a shared hosting provides but once the site gets too big it's better to switch to a dedicated hosting. In that case it does makes sense to check first if there's an easy way to upgrade from a VPS to a dedicated server without breaking things up.

Now, to stay on topic of what to look for in hosting, I think the first thing to look for is guaranteed uptime. It won't matter how much disk space you have available if your server is down so a 100% guaranteed is a must (or maybe %99.99). Besides uptime, the available bandwidth, memory and CPU is important.

7. Converse Active Member

Converse

Pretty much, however, on VPS or dedicated hosting, you're far more on your own than you are on shared hosting. Although there are managed VPS hosting plans, otherwise you will be responsible for installing pretty much everything you'll need, including cPanel, security software, etc. Again, some hosts will be more helpful than others.

I have several sites and, unless I need VPS or dedicated hosting for a solid reason, I prefer shared hosting, because I can turn to the hosting company when I have problems, WebHostingHub even fixed a WordPress problem that I had, which was entirely my fault. I called them asking about a back-up and he said he thought he could fix it, and he did. Dreamhost, on the other hand, wouldn't consider that.

If I were more familiar with dedicated hosting, and all of the requirements for it, I might host most of my sites on one dedicated hosting account -- although, since we're talking about directories, it's a good idea not to host more than one directory on the same account unless they have unique IP numbers.

I don't know that anyone can guarantee anything one hundred percent but I'd certainly prefer having a hosting company that strives for it.

Especially with shared hosting plans, it's important to know what you are permitted when it comes to bandwidth and CPU usage, as well as what happens if you go over it. When I exceed my bandwidth on WebHostingHub, they shut my sites down. Other hosting companies might bill you for overage.

8. jblogger New Member

jblogger

A few years ago I used dreamhost to host a blog. I was happy with the service but just before turning a year with them my site was down for about 3 days. I complaint with them about the downtime and they pointed out to their TOS. There wasn't anything there about guaranteed uptime there so I decided not to renew my hosting with them.

Ever since that experience I always check the uptime. The usual is %99.99, so if everything works like they promise a site shouldn't be down more than 3.65 days in a year.

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

Sorry.... had a lot going on and was not able to get here for a couple of days.

Maybe I asked the wrong question... LOL cause now I am even more perplexed.

I am building my own server and I want to house all my websites on that web server with domain names pointed at them. So I need to know what to design my server around. I am assuming from what I am reading I need to make for certain that there is plenty of bandwidth and @Converses suggestion points more towards a dedicated hosting. Am I getting this right?

10. Converse Active Member

Converse

Building your own server is not something that I could help with.

11. jblogger New Member

jblogger

@toradrake I'm on the same path as you (or at least I think I am...). I want to set up my own server and host my own sites. Mostly for educational purposes. I got a VPS from Crissic Solutions, a hosting provider located in the US. I got their cheapest VPS which has 2 TB of monthly bandwidth, 512 MB of dedicated RAM and 1 dedicated IP address. Maybe you could take a look at it and see if it fits your needs.

A VPS looks like the first step before getting a dedicated server. Specially because the price is much lower and they are basically the same. At least from an administration perspective.

12. toradrake Member

toradrake

Thank you @jblogger... that was basically the info I was looking for. I wanted to understand how I should model my server so as to work with holding a site like mine.