1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

What Platform

Discussion in 'Directory Operation' started by toradrake, Feb 7, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

I want to create my own directory. What would be the best platform to use for its creation?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

That would depend on what you want to do with it, and what your interests are. Some directory scripts are not responsive, and that should be a consideration in any new directory. Some scripts don't allow you to include much other than categories, subcategories, site titles, and descriptions. Some don't even allow for category descriptions, which would greatly limit the amount of textual content that your directory could have.

If you're familiar with WordPress, and particularly if you want to include a blog in your directory, there are directory themes for WordPress. The only one that I am familiar with is the one that I am using for my directory of directories -- DirectoryPress -- and I don't recommend that one, but that doesn't mean they're all bad. I've looked at some recently that looked pretty good; but then, I thought DirectoryPress looked good before I bought it. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible; it's just not what I wanted.

The one that @Ray recommends -- phpMyDirectory -- looks very good, and I'll probably be buying it soon for a directory that I am thinking of starting in conjunction with my seniors only forum. Not only is it responsive, but it includes a plugin that provides a bridge between Xenforo and the directory. Plus, it looks like there is a lot to be done with it, and it doesn't look all that complicated. It has also been around for quite a while, and is unlikely to go away like some start-ups do.

WSN-Links includes its own forum script that links the directory to the forum but, although I have had a copy of that for two years, it is above my comprehension. I simply can't figure out what to do with it unless I were interested in running it out of the box. I can tell that it is a powerful script, one that will allow a great deal of configuration, but it's not at all intuitive. At least, I can't figure it out.

Another long-time standard is phpLinkDirectory, which I also have a copy of, and a couple of the directories that I have worked for are using. It's a very stable script, one that's pretty easy to set up, and for which there are a lot of third-party themes, plugins, etc.

3. drivinguscrazy New Member

drivinguscrazy

I'm interested in the PhpMyDirectory. I'll take a look.