1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

What makes you like/dislike a directory?

Discussion in 'Directory Operation' started by KenBrace, Feb 26, 2015.

1. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

What key factors about a web directory make you either like or dislike it?

Why do these things attract/repel you?

2. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Well, if I want to help my website's SEO, then I would seek out a highly trusted directory. I might not even care about "human editing". All that matters is the high Majestic trust rating (or maybe a high Moz rating). So do you all think that's a good strategy?

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

Ratings are unreliable. What might earn a good rating one year might be cause for a penalty the next. The safest thing is to concentrate on good quality, as you would any other site that you might want to have a link from.

A good directory should well organized, with sites placed in relevant categories among other listings with similar content. Look for correct spelling and grammar, keeping in mind that some (otherwise good) directories use sentence fragments in descriptions. This became a de facto standard in web directories at a time when most people accessed the internet through a dial-up connection and resources were at a premium.

Look for the most appropriate category for your site, based on your site's topic. If your site were to be accepted to that category, would it be in a good neighborhood or a bad one? Since the quality (or even focus) of a site can change from the time that it is accepted into a directory and the time that you find it there, a good directory may contain some relatively bad links, but most of the other sites on the page should be of good quality and relevant to the category. Relevancy matters.

A directory that uses a responsive design is going to receive more traffic than one that does not, since Google is penalizing those that don't. Theoretically, the penalties apply only to searches that are done by mobile phones or smaller screen devices but several people have reported a decline in their ranking within the general search results as well.

Don't depend on someone else's metrics. Judge the quality of a directory for yourself.