1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

What are some of the best ways to monetize

Discussion in 'Monetizing' started by toradrake, Jan 8, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

I have been scouring the net and finding dozens of sites for monetizing your site, but I can't seem to figure out what are the best methods to use. What are some of the best methods or sites you have found for monetizing your site?

2. Rainman New Member

Rainman

There's no best method to monetize a site per se. Most webmasters find that using a combination of different monetization methods earns the more money.

You can for example:

-Display ads on your site.
    -Promote products and earn a commission as an affiliate marketer.
    -Sell products directly on your site.
    -Sell ad space directly to advertisers.
    -Ask visitors to "donate."

And there are many more other ways you could use to monetize your site. It's through trial and error that you'll find the perfect way to make as much money as you deserve from your site.

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

Given the relative low cost of domains and hosting these days, let me suggest something that has worked well for me. Non-monetized sites tend to rank better in the search engines, at least those that are not obviously monetized. Plus, a lot of people tend to trust sites that don't have advertising more than those that do. One thing that works is to have two or three sites, all of which are as heavily promoted as the other, but with two of them serving to lead people to the one that is monetized. For my purposes, I don't monetize any of them until they start ranking well.

4. toradrake Member

toradrake

I am building my site a little out of sequence but it is suppose to have a homepage to take people to the rest of the site (forum, directory, chatroom, store). The homepage will have not affiliate links or advertising of any kind on it. It is solely about the company and an access portal for the other parts of the site, nothing more... well maybe as the company grows that will change a bit.

5. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

My belief. :)

I work as a consultant and a strategist first and then as a developer. As such, I always have believed that my website cannot have advertising of any kind (specially when it comes to promoting others) - because if I go with advertisements, that might send out wrong signals to my potential clients like my bias towards the products/websites I advertise. I have turned down a few good and lucrative offers in the past and will keep doing so even in future.

I cannot monetize my website using adverts on my website, given the above reason(s). What I do, instead, is I advertise my website or rather my skills outside my website - like on other forums and elsewhere (even my visiting card). When people ask me about my skills or past work experiences, I happily give them the link to my portfolio. This has worked good for me since the past many years now and I do hope it will continue this way for some more years. I know, I have my limitations - ill health, less of man hours - and I don't plan to mint millions in a year :)

For many other websites, I would agree with the list of @Rainman as that list covers up almost everything.

6. mr_bucks New Member

mr_bucks

I am just getting back into the game. I would always first get a regular source of traffic, and then I would figure out how to monetize it afterwards. Affiliate works extremely well providing it is the same demographic as your traffic. But sometimes it isn't always obvious.

There is primary demographics, secondary and tertiary etc ... If you know that there will be a construction boom next year, and you want to invest in stocks, you could first invest in actual construction companies, that it is primary. Secondary is investing in building supply companies. Tertiary is investing in scaffolding which can be used in construction.

So if you know that your demographic is 55+, female and into crafts, a secondary demographic might be online bingo or keno. Grandmas seem to like these things. So you just try different stuff and see what converts.

SimplySidy and toradrake like this.
  7. toradrake Member

toradrake

Good advice mr bucks. That is actually one of the basics of business... know your target audience. High Five!

mr_bucks likes this.
  8. mr_bucks New Member

mr_bucks

Well it was one I had to learn the hard way. For all human beings including myself, most of our opinions are not based on facts, but beliefs. This ranges from what is suitable to eat, to deeper issues like gun control and abortion. You can't really change the beliefs of people.

99% of what most people buy, I consider garbage. But if they want to buy this stuff, who am I to judge. So providing the product is legal and doesn't do harm, that is about the only criteria I have. I actually used to do a lot of affiliate stuff for adult dating, the main reason I did it was because they where the only affiliates at the time which paid out in the country I was in. I had no idea what adult dating sites even where, so they all looked pretty much the same to me. But some of the sites would convert for certain demographics and other ones wouldn't. Why ? To be honest I have no idea. So initally if I had 4 affiliates, I would make a simple script that rotates the banner ad. I would run it until I would have enough traffic to see which ones are converting. If there was 2 of the sites that where neck in neck, I would just leave those two affiliates. If there was a clear winner, I would just use that one.

But if it was another site, you would see the exact opposite.

9. xTinx New Member

xTinx

That's always the wisest thing to do. There would be no point displaying banner ads, Google ad sense, affiliate links and whatnot if at the end of the day, your site hardly receive a decent amount of traffic. So yes to reputation first, monetizing a bit later.

10. Scorp Member

Scorp

Honestly, for non-targeted general traffic on a site that isn't in any particular niche that can sell products (humor for example), then popup ads can be a bit profitable. Thing is, they may be annoying, but unlike people having to click on a sidebar ad or a link and purchase something in order to make you money, with the popups you profit basically by them just landing on your site... and maybe clicking anywhere on the site.

And it's not terribly annoying because it will just open in a popup or a new tab, and a person can just close it...

Of course, I'm not saying that this is the good way to make money with a website, but small, untargeted, little websites can be monetized, or supplementally monetized with popup ads...

The one network's popups I use is Adfly, and I feel comfortable with that monetization on a little humor blog I've got.

11. toradrake Member

toradrake

I can't stand pop ads. They are very annoying. I vowed I would NEVER use them on any site I have.

I think one of the biggest issues is that people want to make money off their site so bad they overload it with ads. I may put one, maybe two, banner ads on my site or a slideshow of ads but I will not put a line of ads on my sites. Besides, I notice that I am prone to glance over when I am on a site that has a ad slideshow whenever it changes. It catches my eye for some reason and I am the hardest person I know to catch with ad's.

12. Scorp Member

Scorp

@toradrake Well, I kind of agree with you about the popups. However...

On this humor blog I have I tried Amazon sidebar ads - Very few clicks, no conversions

I tried Chitika sidebar ads - About 10-20 impressions daily, No clicks/money

I tried Adfly Entry script (the one that forces people to watch the 5 second ad - Made some money, I felt it was too annoying to have on a humor site. It's not like the site provides much value for people to wait the 5 seconds and click skip. So I felt like that would drive any traffic I may get away...

Then the Adfly popup script - Not too annoying, does make a few cents every month completely passively

As you can see, I tried other things, but nothing else was worth it in this particular case. And honestly, even when I revive that blog one of these days and try out a few more/different monetization techniques, the popups are probably staying. If nothing else makes a dime, at least those popups will :p

13. tasha New Member

tasha

I haven't made money out of anything but google ads and affiliate links like iTunes and ebay. everything else has been a waste of time and traffic steering away from my site to what ever I chose to add to my site for money making purposes. Stick with adverts that is the only way to make money

14. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

If you're a writer, you can start up a blog and start posting some HQ content. The content you post will increase the amount of traffic you get from Search Engines. This is a common SEO technique that bloggers use. When you've done that, you can post ads here and there which will generate yourself some adsense revenue.

15. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I tried Google Adsense for a few days but eventually decided to screw that.

I dislike the look of their ad format and I wasn't making anything.

I'm currently using a site called "Project Wonderful" and it's the best one I've used so far.

Advertisers bid on ad spaces and you get paid by the day.

I put my site up 2 days ago and the bid is currently $0.03 per day. Pretty low at the moment but that's because I recently submitted my site and it hasn't had time correctly average out the 5 day view count average. Once it works its way up I should be getting higher bids.

I'd be perfectly satisfied if I could get $1.00 per day.

That would cover the cost of hosting and the domain name.

16. MoreThanBeerMoney New Member

MoreThanBeerMoney

I instantly form a bias towards sites that have intrusive banner ads. If you use them on a company website, it simply ruins the branding. Nobody wants to see Adsense / other ads while considering you as a service provider [and you could also be showing re-marketing ads from a competitor in those display boxes].

That said, related affiliate products could be considered but they shouldn't be forced in the reader's face and it's better to incorporate items based on the Buyer's Journey.

17. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

Completely agree. It makes the company look like their only way to earn money is via their ads that are displayed on their website. People that have blogs, I completely understand why they need ads because they don't earn much when they blog and a good way to earn money back is via the ads.

18. Jason76 Member

Jason76

You could monetize a forum by selling signature links. However, you might want to make them "no follow" as Google doesn't like paid links. However, you must be sure your forum has a lot of traffic to attract buyers to "no follow" links.

Another way to monetize a blog or forum is via a special member's area. In that area, you could teach them special skills they might not find other places.

19. Converse Active Member

Converse

There too, you pretty much have to be big enough before adding that because a private area will not be spidered by search engines, which is something that a new forum requires.

20. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

These are some of the ways that I was thinking too. The best way to make sure that more people are seeing what you're posting is just by doing everything. I know that affiliate marketing can be hard though. You would want to make sure that the people on your site are willing to spend money. I know when I go on blogs I'm not thinking about making money. You also don't make a lot of money from it since the company you do it with also gets most of the money. Ads is anther good thing to do. You can also use some of your of money so that you can get your ads on someone else's site, I'm sure that you would get more people which means more money for you. That is one thing that I've been thinking about doing.