1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Website Navigation

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by toradrake, Dec 8, 2014.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

2. ducklord Member

ducklord

I disagree with his last point - since he presents it as a rule. He's talking about what we know as "breadcrumbs", and it SHOULDN'T, I emphasize that, be used on small sites and non-complex blogs. Why? Because it would look like this:

HOME

HOME > My_Post_1

HOME

HOME > My_Post_2

HOME

HOME > My_Other_post

...I mean, what's the point if you've only got one (or two) "levels" for navigation in your site?

It has a point if you have structured categories. Like, say:

HOME

HOME > Graphics

HOME > Graphics > Web Design

HOME > Graphics > Web Design > Project_006

HOME > Graphics > Illustration > Illustration_073

...and so on. Sorry for looking like a wall of text, but wanted to get my point across with easily understandable examples.

Alunny and Converse like this.
  3. Alunny Member

Alunny

Breadcrumbs are brilliant and I recommend them anywhere you can go multiple levels deep - so I would say 3 minimum but to be honest if you're going to use them you should have them on every page. It makes life easier.

I'm not sure I like that article at all to be honest, it doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. I think as long as you've organised your content well into sections you should link to those sections....and consider sub menus, drop downs, or perhaps just a simple search or filter once you get there depending on topic. It's more about organisation and how people can understand it.

4. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

I read and somehow agree with most of what has been mentioned.

The only thing that lacks here is the fact that the post was published on June 6th 2014. Nothing special with the date though, but think of it - The era in which this is written, people are more likely using Handheld and non-regular computers for viewing and buying - recall that the post starts with reference to a grocery store so I will link it with e-commerce. The writer forgets that many potential buyers of today use smartphones and other handhelds to shop. And, there is a limited landscape on a Handheld device. Hence, the - "inclusion of search box at the right" and the "breadcrumbs" definitely are going to be my concerns.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

That should be the prime directive of ALL websites, big or small. I have seen so many sites that look as if someone just grabbed a bunch of stuff and slapped it up on a page with no organization or sense behind it (or maybe I am the one with no sense because I could not make heads or tails of its design). Call me a clean freak, but I like my pages neat and tidy to a certain extend. My brain and my life are already a boatload of chaos.... don't want my sites that way to. LOL

Good call @SimplySidy and I think you may be right on that.

6. ducklord Member

ducklord

@SimplySidy No, forget about those kinds of advice, people saying this are simply idiots. "Search on the right" my ass, if you allow the language. They might me awesome and well-known designers, and me a nobody, but I'll give you a hint on "how to design for mobile" based on simple logic:

Don't design "sites". Design "experiences".

What I mean by that is this: open an app. Any app. In Android or iOS or whatever. Do you see "a searchbar on the right side of it"? Usually no, nope, when you want to search for something, a search field is displayed smack-middle taking up the whole horizontal length.

Now, look at menus: do you see "breadcrumbs" in apps? No, not usually. You see menus, always-on-one-side-as-icons, or under some button, "popping up" when the user calls them.

Since you CAN design the mobile version of a site "to look like those apps", offering the user "the same experience he gets when using 99,9% of the `real` apps on his phone/tablet", WHY should a site be different?

'cause some idiot designer, stuck in years past, still thinks "sites should be presented as sites".

That, of course, brings to the surface even more problems, we could be talking about for eons and never reach a solution. For example, young users today DON'T like to search for more stuff. They're more of a "consumer generation" that "eats whatever you throw at them". We can blame the MTV's and the Kim Kardasian's of the world for this. So, is there even a point in trying to create some kind of meaningful navigation solution "for finding older posts in a site" when more than 50% of your young visitors will never pay attention to them?! And what should you do? What's the solution? I don't know, since it's not a "web design/development" problem, but a people problem. Re-educate them? Change your whole "front-page" every day, rotating its content? I-don't-know. But "breadcrumbs" aren't a solution to this problem.

Breadcrumbs and similar navigation tricks are great for the desktop - not for mobile. Pay attention to the way you, yourself are using your phone and tablet (if you have one) to access sites. I was floored when I noticed myself almost never using a sites nav, preffering to "go back to Google and re-search for something I was looking for".

The best "nav" solution for today, from my point of view, for mobiles and tablets, is either some kind of button with a simple pop-up menu, with 5-10 options, and a search bar always-on-top on the top of your site, OR a column of icons on the left end. EXACTLY like "proper apps" do.

7. thzfsdhdty Member

thzfsdhdty

MUA BÁN NHÀ QUẬN GÒ VẤP, MUA BÁN NHÀ QUẬN 12, MUA BÁN NHÀ QUẬN TÂN BÌNH
    Hotline: 0937133389 - 0989 441 737 ( anh Mạnh Hùng)
    Thời gian làm việc 24/7.- TẬN TÂM - UY TÍN - NHIỆT TÌNH

8. thzfsdhdty Member

thzfsdhdty

MUA BÁN NHÀ QUẬN GÒ VẤP, MUA BÁN NHÀ QUẬN 12, MUA BÁN NHÀ QUẬN TÂN BÌNH
    Hotline: 0937133389 - 0989 441 737 ( anh Mạnh Hùng)
    Thời gian làm việc 24/7.- TẬN TÂM - UY TÍN - NHIỆT TÌNH