1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Webcrawler

Discussion in 'Meta Search Engines' started by Converse, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Converse Active Member

Converse

Webcrawler... Do you remember Webcrawler? Webcrawler was the first search engine to provide full text search. Originally an actual search engine, with its own database, Webcrawler went through a number of acquisitions, and is currently relegated to duty as a metasearch engine, plugging Yahoo and Google results, and not very effectively. Ads are not clearly differentiated from results, and they appear at the beginning and the end of results. For those of of you who may not have been around or aware at the time, Webcrawler was once in a position similar to Google, in that it was the only effective search engine. No more.

talha123 likes this.
  2. Rainman New Member

Rainman

I remember those days. Webcrawler's search results were better than other search engines, altavista/Yahoo for example which was also quite big back then. Until I read this post, I didn't know that Webcrawler had sank that low though I see their ads in Google SERPs from time to time. If they are desperate enough to pay for ads, I'm sure that in itself proves that their search results aren't that good [anymore] in as far relevance to [user] search queries is concerned.

talha123 likes this.
  3. peopletrendin New Member

peopletrendin

But now, A Web crawler is an Internet bot which systematically browses the World Wide Web, typically for the purpose of Web indexing. A Web crawler may also be called a Web spider.

talha123 likes this.
  4. maverick New Member

maverick

Honestly no, never heard of this old search engine. When I first read the title I was thinking about web crawlers bot which are programs runned by for example Google that basically goes around the net scanning for new hosts to insert in their database. By the way I guess it's important to remember the softwares that helped to build what we have nowdays and for sure I bet that Webcrawler, no matter how much was it famous, gave his contribute.

talha123 likes this.
  5. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

No, I've never heard of this before. I thought that it was some new search engine site that has just come out. I mean that's pretty cool because I always thought that Google was the first search engine or Ask.com. It's amazing how far we have come with technology and how much we take it for granted. I mean if you think about it, this was a huge deal when it came out I'm sure. Now, we wouldn't care if some new search engine came out.

talha123 likes this.
  6. Klausm New Member

Klausm

There are many things left over from the old days still doing their job.
    Other went under but well that's life innit?

7. cubez Member

cubez

Never heard any search engine had such position as google. I knew some search engines when I first started to surf the internet.
    Including webcrawler, bing, yahoo and google..I use google and second bing. Mostly google...

8. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

LOL, isn't everybody use the same?

:)

fastreplies