1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Web Directory Submission Tips

Discussion in 'Directory Submissions' started by Rainman, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Rainman New Member

Rainman

Submitting your site to a human-edited web-directory is but the first step to getting it listed. The editors of the directory at their discretion may choose to accept or reject your submitted site. To increase the likelihood of your site being accepted and consequently, listed on such a directory, the following tips might be helpful:

- Each web directory has submission guidelines. Read them carefully before submitting your site because failure to comply with the guidelines would get you an instant rejection.

- No matter how long the approval process seems to take NEVER submit your site to the same directory more than once.

- Web directories make it easier for people searching for specific kind of sites to find them. When submitting your site ensure you choose the best directory category. If you list your site in the wrong directory category, don't expect the editors to move it. They're overwhelmed with submissions and don't have time for that.

- You could also volunteer as an editor. It would be a sneaky way of approving your sites fast but if the strategy works, why not use it?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

DMOZ is very picky about editors adding their own sites. While editors there are allowed to add their own sites, there are people looking over their shoulder to be sure that they don't give preference. I know that when I was there, I made sure to add every possible competitor's site before I added my own. Editors were often removed for giving preference to their own sites.

On its submission page, JoeAnt encourages people to volunteer to be an editor rather than paying the submission fee. Although it is expected that you'll stick around to add some other sites as well, editors can surely add their own.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  3. Rainman New Member

Rainman

Is DMOZ still alive?

I submitted my site to the directory more than six months ago and till now the site hasn't been listed. Does it normally take that long for the editors [on DMOZ] to approve a site? I believe that lots of web-masters who desired to boast their search rankings submitted their sites to DMOZ. Could it be that the editors were, or still are swamped with so much work that it can take [them] years to approve some sites?

p.s I'm asking this because I've heard some rumors that DMOZ isn't accepting any more sites/ new submissions.

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

It all depends on the category. I have some sites that I have submitted to small North Dakota localities years ago, including categories that have zero to only one listed site currently, yet they haven't been acted upon. Since they consist of a few hundred pages each and I'm not selling anything, I assume they would be accepted if anyone looked at them. On the other hand, I have had some of my sites included in the directory without submitting them, so I know it's alive.

It's not only alive but they are implementing new features. One thing that you need to know about DMOZ is that it is operated by volunteers, as far as submissions and added sites go. While there are some paid staff, they work with technical and administrative matters mostly. When someone volunteers to be an editor, they generally volunteer to maintain a part of the directory that they have an interest in. Some of them do an excellent job of keeping up with new sites within their categories of interest. People today don't have as much time to volunteer for such things, plus there is the fact that directories aren't new and exciting as they were with the Open Directory Project began, so there aren't as many volunteers, at least of the sort who are interested in actually maintaining the directory as opposed to making sure that their own sites are included.

Editors generally prefer to search for new sites to add to their categories rather than working the queue, also. So many of the submitted sites are trash, so if an editor wants to add some sites to a category he or she is maintaining, it's easier to find them through a search engine than by going through the queue. When I was there, staff had to beg us to work the queue sometimes.

Rainman likes this.
  5. Jill Original Member

Jill

Original

Unless your site is total junk or a type of site not appropriate for the directory you submitted it to, most directory editors will accept a paid submission, although they might change the description or move it to another category. Free submissions are likely to be accepted only if the site is of such good quality that the editor would have added it if she had come across it in a search.

6. ducklord Member

ducklord

I know almost nothing about Directories - only that I've submitted some of my earlier sites to some free ones, sometime in the past. And now you mention you have to... pay... to get listed in them?! Really?!

Is the amount a "one-off" or you've got to pay, like, every year to "keep getting listed there"?

7. Converse Active Member

Converse

When I am marketing a client site, usually on a one-year contract, I'll opt for the cheaper annual fee, since the client is paying for it and my contract is for one year only. However, when I am marketing my own site, I try to avoid annual fees. Most directories that include annual fees also have one-time submission options, which are the ones that I usually opt for. Often, the one-time fee isn't that much more expensive than the annual fee and it's seldom, if ever, more than twice the price, so two years would more than pay for it. Annual fees have a habit of automatically renewing at a time when I can least afford it, also.

I will sometimes use the annual fee when the directory is relatively new and I am not sure that it will still be around a year from now. More than once, I've submitted to directories that have shut down shortly after listing my site, but that's because I often submit to new and upcoming directories that sometimes don't "upcome" very well.

8. jdroc New Member

jdroc

So can you can give us any insight into what an editor will look for to add those types of sites without a paid submission? Like I know the basics, no spam, not too much advertising, useful content. Do you have to have an extremely superior site as far as metrics and analytics go.

9. Converse Active Member

Converse

That would depend on the directory, the category, the editor, and how much work it would entail. In other words, if you submit a site to a category that I am having a hard time finding good sites for, it is more likely to be accepted than if you submitted it to one that already has a ton of good sites. As a regional example, the standards for acceptance would not be the same between a category for New York City and one for some small town of a hundred people, since the NYC category is probably already large while I would be fortunate to find five sites for a town of a hundred people. I might even accept a weather site for the small town category, whereas I wouldn't for the larger category.

The same is true of topical categories. Sites submitted to a search engine optimization or web design category would be more heavily scrutinized than would one for Synchrotons or Cryonics.

Generally, an editor is looking for a site that would add value to the directory. In other words, would the addition of your site make the category that it's listed in more useful to a directory user or would it just clutter it?

Since a lot of people start sites that they never finish, most directories won't accept sites that are obviously still under construction. Now, most sites are under construction in that things will be added to them from time to time, but does it look complete or does it look like something is missing?

Some editors will look closely at the site, clicking through several pages of it, while others will look only to see that it is actually there and to figure out what it is about. Since directories that accept free submissions often have a lot of them, it can be a little bit like checking your email, in that you sort of get in the habit of deleting spam, so your site has to look like something other than that.

Working a free submissions queue, there is a tendency for an editor to cherry pick the good submissions. I know that when I was with DMOZ, although we weren't paid, we competed with one another for the highest number of edits, etc. In other directories, the motive may simply be to clear the submission queue, so editors may look for the submissions that require the least amount of work.

SEO metrics will probably not be taken into consideration.

When I was working the queue at DMOZ, I would look for submissions that had well written titles and descriptions, and which appeared to have been submitted to the right category. If everything looked good, I could just accept it and move on. So that I didn't get accused of doing just what I was doing -- cherry picking -- I would also look for the ones that were obviously crap, rejecting them and moving on, so that I would have a good balance of accepted and rejected sites. The ones that were in between (probably good sites but poorly written descriptions or probably not the right category) would sometimes get passed over, and sit in the queue. The next editor to come along would probably do the same thing.

In directories that have only one or two editors, the goal is to clear the queue. Sometimes good sites are rejected in the process, just as pretty much everyone sometimes deletes legitimate emails while they are trying to clear out the spam in their inbox.

With paid submissions, editors are more willing to take the time to rewrite titles or descriptions if necessary, or to look for a more appropriate category to move it to, rather than simply rejecting it. Even then, in every directory I have worked for, paid submissions were rejected often, but more often because the site itself was bad, rather than because of poorly written titles or descriptions.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  10. jdroc New Member

jdroc

Yes that was a great explanation. When I was working on one of my first sites I went directory crazy, without even knowing anything about what was really going on. I was just wide-eyed following the advice of the "experts" about back-links. This forum has given me a better understanding of what directories are really about. It's one thing to hear all the SEO'er say do it, it's another thing to know WHY you're doing it and how it really fits into the overall strategy of putting a solid website together.

Converse likes this.
  11. Abu Sayed New Member

Abu Sayed

search engine optimization consultants and internet advertising professionals recognize that listing submissions are crucial for online industry house owners who need to create hyperlink popularity, raise visitors, and raise search engine rating. So what is a listing? A listing is just a list of internet sites that's damaged down with the aid of class and subcategory. If you wish to have your web page to be included in the directory, merely publish your website and you're going to be incorporated. individuals who wish to study more a few specific topic will then get admission to the directory and find your website. sooner than you add your URL, on the other hand, you wish to take into account the ground principles for listing submissions. Some directories will checklist your web site at no cost whereas others will cost a rate. if you pay for an inventory you're almost guaranteed that your website will likely be incorporated within the directory within a couple of week. Directories that do not cost a price may take rather a lot longer. listed below are seven different things you will have to know ahead of submitting your website online.
    1. be aware of your directories. make a selection handiest probably the most well-revered and absolute best-quality directories. this may make a difference to your search engine rankings. simply as engines like google situation a top class on inbound links from relevant and authoritative websites, they also place a premium on listings from relevant and authoritative directories.
    2. recognize the foundations. each listing has its personal set of rules, so you should definitely know them sooner than submitting. in the event you don't familiarize yourself with the principles then you may be squandering precious time. for instance, some directories require registration while others require you to be an editor.
    3. know what knowledge to provide. Most directories will ask for your title, URL, keywords, and description. additionally remember to supply them a valid and working email handle or you run the danger of having your submission rejected.
    4. comprehend use key phrases. Directories often use keywords to find your website when a consumer searches the listing, so be sure you embrace your key phrases both to your title and your description. be sure that your description sounds factual slightly than like a gross sales piece.
    5. be sure your webpage is complete. do not put up your web site to a listing unless your website has been scrubbed and polished. do not use popup or popunder home windows. also preserve advertisements and affiliate hyperlinks to a minimum. An incomplete website online or a website with too many worrying distractions can lead to your submission to be rejected by using the directory house owners.
    6. comprehend your categories. remember to select essentially the most acceptable classes and subcategories on your site. that is more uncomplicated on the directory editor and might ensure that your website is incorporated extra quickly. this may increasingly also make sure that your search engine ranking is higher because the search engine will believe it extra relevant.
    7. Be patient. likelihood is that your website online might not be listed immediately, even if you've paid for a directory listing. when you are waiting to your checklist to show up in one directory, try submitting to several extra.directory submissions are an effective and environment friendly strategy to power traffic to your website online and elevate gross sales. Some on-line business house owners experience this course of and to find that it will get outcomes speedy and easily. other homeowners to find it tedious and time-consuming, regardless of the good results. if you are one of these trade owners, believe hiring somebody to do your listing submissions in your behalf.An website positioning skilled or web advertising skilled can't handiest submit your web site to directories, however can help you resolve how directory submissions will also be an essential component of your internet advertising technique.they are able to also prevent a number of time seeing that they're very accustomed to directories and can know in an instant which directories are appropriate for your web site. whether or not you select to do it yourself or have anyone do it for you, remember to make the most of directory submissions for your enterprise

12. Ray Active Member

Ray

This looks like one of those spinned articles, where words are substituted to make it look original, I've seen the (original) content somewhere, can't remember where but, it may have been in one of the articles in Web Directory Digest.

13. orocot New Member

orocot

Some great tips there OP. Is DMOZ any good? I've been thinking of submitting to some directories but I always thought it had a negative impact in terms of google.

What are your thoughts?

14. Converse Active Member

Converse

Why?

15. bonzer New Member

bonzer

@Rainman : Article submission to directories and getting one-way backlinks is great. Would you, however, explain the benefits of article directories from Google's perspective and how it will impact the chances of a blog? Assuming that I submitted my quality blog on health niche to a manually edited web directory, what are my prospects? How will it impact my organic traffic?

16. Christ Bonn New Member

Christ Bonn

Thanks for sharing here such an interesting tips in terms for directory submission. It's really good and everyone should remembered during submission.

17. Clarke Member

Clarke

Submitting site in right category and HQ site is the top priority tip for directory submission.

18. SLTE New Member

SLTE

Some of the skeezier web directories are certainly rather bad for your overall SEO, but I think DMOZ is one of the exceptions. It's been around for ages, and they have some relatively strict standards when it comes to what they'll accept and what they won't. Granted, you can pay to get in, but in my experience websites willing to shell out cash to get into a directory will also usually be worth a visit in the first place. And if your site is good enough to get on DMOZ for free, then it's probably already a really good site.

19. vtech New Member

vtech

Directory submission still worth. Also like DMOZ where submissions take time but it meant that its a relevant submission.

20. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

I never had a luck submitting in DMOZ, I gave up a long time ago.
    I just look into the bright side though that there are still a lot of platforms that I can use.