1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Web Directories Are Not Created Equal

Discussion in 'Directory Operation' started by Ray, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Ray Active Member

Ray

No, this has nothing to do with the Declaration of Independence, its about the types of web directories in the market today.

The typical, "web directory", (this is the type that includes all the big-name, old, well established directories), is basically a well organized, category-driven catalog of websites, listed under one or more keywords (tags) or categories, and locations. This type of directory mainly lists "websites", regardless of whether the listing is for a brick-and-mortar business or a blog site about "Best Dressed Monkeys In Denmark". these listings consists of a title, a very short description, and a link (from the category page) to the listing website.

The "business directory" or "local directory" type focuses more on providing the brick-and-mortar business information, this includes all of the information found on the aforementioned directory type, with the major difference of a "listing details page" that includes a more extensive detailed description of the "business", including business hours, service area, contact information, location map, and in some instances, business reviews and rating. Some even provide links to the business's social media pages.

So, from the listing-owner side of things, if you just run a website that provides information, consulting or downloadable products, your regular web directory listing is really all you'd need. On the other hand, if you have a hardware store, restaurant, or any other kind of brick-and-mortar business, the business-type directory is where you'll need to be listed in.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  2. Converse Active Member

Converse

Very good. Thank you for that. There are also some that are something in between, such as general directories with details pages. However, with these, the details page often relates more to SEO considerations of the site, like an Alexa graph, the availability of reviews (which few people ever actually participate in), and perhaps from 3-5 deep links from the site. It's not the same thing as a business directory but a little more than the DMOZ-type general directory.

3. Ray Active Member

Ray

My point is that, one focuses of the "web presence", I mean the website, website link, SEO, internal website links and so on. The other focuses on the actual business, business attributes, including availability of services, and convenience of use for the potential customers, a website link is at the bottom of the list, in fact, technically, you do not have to have a website to have your business listed in a business or local directory. I have a few listings in my own directories for construction services that do not have a web address.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. Converse Active Member

Converse

Understood.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

Ray, I think I am in stupid mode today (I had my coffee!) cause I am not fully understanding what it is your saying. Is there a possible way you can post links to directories as examples of what you are talking about for me to view? I'm sorry to be a pain, but I truly am trying to understand more about directories and your thread interest me so I want to fully understand. Visuals help me with that.

6. Ray Active Member

Ray

Hi Tora!
    Wow!... I'm tempted but I'm not going to comment on your mode today... ;)

It's not that complicated, the traditional web directory lists "websites" under one or more appropriate categories. For each website listed, there would be a title (linked to the site), a short blurb describing the nature of the site, and usually, the URL of the site listed. In this format, there is no details page, the site is linked-to right from the category page, as long as there is a website to link to.

The business web directory however lists "businesses", regardless whether that business has a website or not.
    And again, listings are organized by categories. Now here's were the styles or types of web directories becomes a little different; for each business listed in a category page, there would be a title (linked to the listing's details page), a short blurb describing the nature of the business, and usually, their location (City, State, or even the complete address of the business).
    As you can see, in the business wed directory model, we're focus on the business itself, and this is where the listing details page plays a big part. The details page is where you'll find a more detailed description of this business, hours of operation, service area, contact information, location map, and in some instances, business reviews and rating. Some directories even provide links to the business's social media pages. And, last but not least, if that business has moved into the 21st Century, a link to the company's website is also included.

As you've requested, here's an example of a company listed in both types of web directories.

Now, I want to make clear that this is only a comparison of the 2 types of listing formats, I'm not trying to favor one over the other, nor comparing the quality or value of these 2 web directories:

Subject company: Directed Technologies Drilling, Inc.

Traditional web directory: botw.org
    Search results for Directed Technologies Drilling, Inc.
    http://search.botw.org/search?q=Directed+Technologies+Drilling,+Inc.

Business web directory: trenchless.directory
    Search results for Directed Technologies Drilling, Inc.
    http://trenchless.directory/search_results.php?keyword=Directed+Technologies+Drilling,+Inc.

I hope this clarifies the differences between the 2 types of web directories.
    Take a look and let us know what you think.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    Converse likes this.
  7. toradrake Member

toradrake

LMAO told you I needed visuals. Its DMOZ verses Yellow Pages basically.

8. Ray Active Member

Ray

By George, I think you've got it!!!
    And don't ask me who George is, I have no idea... LOL

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

Who is George? :p

See, I just needed visuals. I see something and I understand. LOL ;)

Don't mind me Ray, when I see a post I try to be the newbie. LOL want them to get it too. Good post though.

Your right, directories are different. Which directory you choose is based on what kind of site you have and what your goal is. You would not list a personal blog site on a business directory just as you would not list a blog site about manicures on a directory for plumbers... although they could probably use the service. When choosing the directories right for your site, you have several considerations.

1. What is my site about.
    2. Is my site about a business/services or is it a personal site
    3. What am I trying to achieve, customers or viewers

There are more questions I am sure but those are the main ones I usually ask myself.

After submission I usually advise that site owners review their submission at least once ever 3 months or so to make for sure that everything is correct and make changes as they go. That way, at the end of the year they don't have to end up doing what you did and having to run through several places trying to make certain everything is good. Things get missed that way a lot of the time and it can be stressful. :p

10. Converse Active Member

Converse

I know where George is. I've been helping to track him for years.

Very few people will. I have my site in a couple of directories that make me review my listing for accuracy every six months, or maybe some other time duration, as I don't pay that much attention. Anyhow, I get an email on a scheduled basis with a link for me to click on, where I can update my listing or click the button saying that it is accurate.

I'm not sure what would happen if I failed to do that, but it probably says somewhere. Perhaps it would be shunted to the bottom of the page. Maybe an editor would be prompted to check it. More likely, I would receive at least one more notice before it would be made inactive.

toradrake likes this.
  11. Ray Active Member

Ray

One of those is provably where2go.com, I stopped updating my listing there back in 2005, and my listing is still there, under construction directories. With the same title and description I used back then.

I'm shocked! :eek: Do you mean, you've been playing dumb all this time? You should try acting for a living. ;) LOL

12. Converse Active Member

Converse

Features within a directory allowing users or site owners to report changes or problems are nice, I suppose, but they are rarely used, in my experience. The same is true the ability to review listings, which would be a nice thing if anyone actually did that but, apart from the occasional disgruntled person, reviews are seldom made.

13. Ray Active Member

Ray

Agree, that holds true for my construction directories, then again, there are examples to the contrary. For instance, the Magic Dealers Directory (magicdealers.com), one of the directories I manage, receives its share of listing reviews regularly. This is provably because of it deals with entertainers and stage product dealers. But in general, you're right, it's not very useful.

14. Converse Active Member

Converse

It's nice when it happens, but that is rare. Certainly, I would never fault the directory for that, since offering the opportunity for dialogue is a good thing, whether taken advantage of or not.

15. toradrake Member

toradrake

Last location???

Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.... I will NEVER tell. LMAO

I was not aware there are any. Where are they at? I agree it should be more main stream.

16. Converse Active Member

Converse

That's one, the other is Aby Directory. It's not a bad idea, really. Particularly when someone has made changes to their site, there will be some corrections and, of course, there is a prompt for an upgrade in the listing.