1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Traditional Marketing

Discussion in 'Website Marketing' started by toradrake, Jan 28, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

I love this article. The writer is absolutely right. It all depends on the business type, among other elements. In my perspective traditional marketing can work for any business, but you have to know how to apply it. Do you use traditional marketing methods? How?

Myself, person to person is big. I usually carry around a business card (whether homemade or professional) that can be as simple as just having the website address on the card and nothing else. When walking around and randomly talking to people I always mention my site (or sites) and hand out business cards after giving them a brief summary of what the site is. Right now, I have been lacking with this site I am working on because I am waiting to "aggressively" market it when it is 100% done and I am in a better position to be able to market it in that manner. Person to Person seems to work the best for me in terms of marketing.

Is Traditional Marketing Dead?

2. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

Unfortunately, despite the fact that this is a great article and I 100% support doing everything mentioned on it, still, I will not do it for my current website - though I still use my website and email on all my business stationary.

The reason is odd but here at my city, state and even most of my country, people are not yet willing to do things the right way. I have given up local marketing since so many years owing to my bad (real bad) experiences with them in the past. They will ask you, consult you and when the deal seems to get finalized, they will rush out to someone else, and start a bargain stating they have almost every detail ready !!! Hence, for my kind of work - consultation and website development - I will not use local marketing as I dont cater to my local areas any more.

3. xTinx New Member

xTinx

If your business is purely online, it doesn't make a lot of sense to market offline, right? Although if your online business engages people with offline businesses (e.g. classified ads, online bookstores, etc), then it would make sense to incorporate traditional methods into your marketing plan.

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

I'm not so sure about that because every business involves people, and people aren't purely online. I'm trying to think of a business that is purely online. I think of my business as being online because I perform nearly all of my work sitting in front of a computer that is online, and my pay comes through PayPal rather than a check, but a lot of the people who contact me online first heard of me from a business card they found on a bulletin board at a Chamber of Commerce building, bookstore, grocery store, or laundry. I suppose if your business was selling stuff online, and online only, there might be no reason to advertise elsewhere. Maybe there's more, and it's late so I can't think of anything.

5. xTinx New Member

xTinx

Well, there are people who are into the traffic exchange business and as far as I know, hardly anyone of them advertises offline. I could be wrong, though. Most of the people involved in this sort of venture use online means to promote their businesses (e.g. email marketing, landing pages, etc).

6. toradrake Member

toradrake

During my time working in SEO and site Marketing, the company I worked for used both online and offline methods of advertising. The sites I am working on right now I intend to advertise both on and offline. Business is Business, you want to reach as many people as possible. Sometimes, a person may not look for a business like yours or can not find a business like yours on the net for one reason or another. By doing offline advertising you are making yourself found by those people are drawing them in to become a customer/client.

7. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Tradtional marketing doesn't work for me. However, Iv'e found that more "one on one" approaches at link building can pay off. For instance, on one website I got tons of backlinks by simply sending emails to website owners. Note, these websites were, generally speaking, quality websites.