1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Top 10 Website Builders

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by toradrake, Nov 19, 2014.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

I found this online at Webhosting Free Reviews.

These are suppose to be the top 10 website builders on the net.

Ipage
    Yahoo
    FatCow
    WebHostingHub
    JustHost
    InMotion
    HostMonster
    Webhosting Pad
    PowWeb
    GoDaddy

Out of this whole list I have only heard of two and used one. Funny thing was I was looking up webdesign software and all of these are connected to a hosting site. Doesn't anyone use regular web design software that they download, like DreamWeaver, like they used to? Am I that much of a dinosaur that I am still using something that is no longer even considered?? LOL

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I do, and I'm not even seventy yet. Online website builders might work for someone who wants only to put up a small site, doesn't need anything fancy, and wouldn't know how to use a real web editor, let alone being able to code a site from scratch. Most of the people who will insist that they build their sites from scratch actually use web editors; whenever I bother to actually look, I can usually tell by the source.

When I reviewed a directory a while back, I mentioned that it was WordPress-based. The directory operator insisted that he had coded it by himself. I didn't argue the point but, although he may have modified the theme, it was based on a WordPress theme, I knew, because parts of it were identical to the WordPress theme that I use for my directory of directories. I wasn't being critical; there is nothing wrong with using WordPress as the back end of a site, nor is there anything wrong with using a WYSIWYG editor or anything else that achieves the purposes you're looking for.

I seldom use my PC anymore but when I used a PC, I would use Dreamweaver, CoffeeCup, or NetObjects Fusion to build sites, although I would often have to tweak the code later. At the time, I loved NetObjects Fusion but when I bought another PC a few months ago for the purpose of being able to use it, I downloaded an updated version of NOF and wasn't very impressed. Oh, you can build a fairly good looking site from it, but it seemed kind of clunky to me. Perhaps I've been using a Mac too long. Still NOF is very intuitive and not a bad choice.

For my Mac, I use Rapidweaver mostly. So far, I hate its newest version but maybe I just need to get used to it. Oddly, the Rapidweaver site is down right now. I also use Sandvox, which is sort of like the Mac equivalent of NetObjects Fusion.

Sometimes I'll use Arachnophilia, which is freeware, available for either the Mac or the PC. That's often what I'll use when I tweak the code produced by one of the other editors.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

I used to work for the company that created NetObjects Fusion. It was kind of complicated then and even a few of our designers had issues with it. How long ago did you last use it? Have they improved on its ease of use?

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

I started using it in the late 1990s and used it until I switched to a Mac in 2008. At one point, I know they were bought out by another company but there was no immediate change in the quality of the product that I noticed then. The new version doesn't seem as smooth as the older versions were but, as I said, this may be because I haven't used a PC in six years. It's easy enough to use, or at least as easy as it was before. I just don't like the results as much.

5. carolRuth New Member

carolRuth

Some top website builders are:

• Web.com
    • Wix
    • Weebly
    • Network Solutions
    • Big commerce
    • ehost
    • Register.com
    • Squarespace
    • shopify