1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Sneaky Keyword bidding

Discussion in 'Website Marketing' started by toradrake, Dec 17, 2014.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

When I read the title of this article 3 Sneaky Ways to Bid on Competitor Keywords in Search Engine Watch, I was a bit apprehensive about it. I don't like the idea of "sneaky" anything, guess my integrity gets in the way. So it was pure curiosity that kept me reading and I liked what I saw.

It is not per-say sneaky to utilize the ideas presented in this article, well maybe one of them pushes it close, but all in all... they are good ideas to work with. The author Melissa Mackey explains three ways to bid on keywords that could help your business, especially a new business, to get themselves up and out there in the search engines.

The three mentioned methods were:Bid on your competitors brands; Bid on misspellings of hard to spell competitors;Bid on "cancel" keywords. Here is a bit of a break down of each suggestion.

Bid on your competitors brands - I've actually seen this before. When Target first started getting out there, they did this and you see where they are. When they brought up their site they bid on the keywords Walmart and Kmart. A lot of people did not know this. I knew because I remember when they first started showing up in the search results. I would type in Walmart or Kmart and there would be Target. That is how I found out about them. They bid on the name of the big stores to come up in their search results. This help them to become better known.

Bid on misspellings of hard to spell competitors - this was an interesting idea. So lets say a person is looking for Hilfiger's. Well that is a easy name to misspell, so you bid on alternate spellings of the name like Hillfiguer or Hilfinger or something like that. Then whenever someone misspells the name of the brand, your site will come up rather then your competitors.

Bid on "cancel" keywords - If a customer or client is dissatisfied with a company, they will want to cancel with them... use the keywords they would use to find where they would cancel to bring them to you for better service. At least that was my understanding of this section.

Anyway... here is a link to the actual article which explains more.

3 Sneaky Ways to Bid on Competitor Keywords