1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Smoking.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Claraviolet, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Claraviolet New Member

Claraviolet

Well,I am from a traditional family.So,of course I don't know how it feels.

Still,it's bad for health.Also,not just that.It also affects others(people around us) health as well. So,in my opinion smoking is not all good and should be banned.

What about you guys?

2. Scorp Member

Scorp

Smoking is unhealthy, but why ban it?

I mean, why would anyone want to take someone else's freedom away?

For example, the Vegans can turn around and say, "Let's ban meat eating. It's unhealthy, it's unethical, let's ban it." And many other such examples.

My take on it is, if you ain't hurting anybody else, you should be allowed to do whatever you want to do, even if that means hurting yourself, that's your right.

But of course, hospitals, schools, there are places where smoking should be banned.

However, if they decide to say, "Smoking is illegal. Prohibition, no more." Well, then watch it create another criminal revenue stream, and watch it crush and burn just like alcohol prohibition in the States did once upon a time...

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

I moved to North Carolina for a couple of years in, I think it was 2008. Although I don't smoke and am not at all fond of the odor when someone is smoking in a room that I am in, I found it refreshing to find that North Carolina hadn't banned smoking in restaurants. I also, for some reason, enjoyed that fact that it seemed almost routine for people to throw their trash out of their car windows, probably because that's what I remembered from when I was a kid. It wasn't that I enjoy seeing trash along the road but that it was a sort of an antithesis to the police state. Unfortunately, I soon learned that they had already passed a ban on smoking in restaurants, set to be enforced a few months after we got there.

4. toradrake Member

toradrake

Why ban smoking? I'm a smoker... if you are going to take my freedom of choice away to ban smoking then I say they should ban drinking which is just as bad if not worse then smoking. At least a smoker when smoking does not get the sudden urge to pick a fight with people or jump in a car and mow people down. In that matter, why not ban vehicles? 1 vehicle is more deadly then a carton of cigarettes... How about electricity, being to close to a electrical line has been proven to cause cancers. Nuclear plants are unsafe and kills hundreds if not thousands of people.... So when you talk about banning something, think about all the things you do rely on or use on a daily basis that are harmful and deadly too and how you would like it if someone took your right to have it away from you.

5. rga1999 New Member

rga1999

I do not believe they should ban smoking. But I do believe what they can do is to regulate where people can smoke. They main reason I say this is because I have a 10 year old son. I would hate to have that around him every time we decide we are going to go out to eat. That I believe is a far reason. Leave the choice for people to smoke up to them.

6. toradrake Member

toradrake

Now that I fully agree with. I know when I am about to light up, I move away from people or if I can't... I ask if it will bother them for me to smoke and if it will I don't light up until I can get somewhere where it wont bother anyone. It is just common courtesy to be considerate of those around you. When we see a child about to come near us when we are smoking, my boyfriend and I also either put our cig out or move further away to keep the child from being exposed.

7. starlight22 New Member

starlight22

I don't smoke but there was a time when I did in the past sometimes like on the weekend when my female friend and I went to dance clubs. It was very easy for me to stop smoking because I never became highly addicted to it which is a good thing. I don't think cigarettes should be banned because there are other things that are way worse than a cigarette.

8. xTinx New Member

xTinx

Personally, I don't like the idea and the act of smoking. I know that smoking can be detrimental to one's health and it has no long-term benefits whatsoever. For other people, however, it's their way of coping up with or releasing stress. As long as they don't go overboard with it to the point of neglecting their responsibilities as human beings, then they can smoke however they want to. Also, people who smoke shouldn't carelessly discard their sticks on the streets. They should be responsible enough to dispose of cigarette butts in a proper and just manner.

9. LitoLawless New Member

LitoLawless

I use to smoke once upon a time but I've given it up. I always hated how I smelled like a walking ashtray. I also didn't like how dry my mouth was after I would smoke a cigarette. Once I quit, it was so crazy how much more I tasted food. It was like all of my favorite foods and drinks got a flavor boost within a two week period. I still have friends that smoke, and I'm fine with them smoking, it's just not for me anymore.

10. Converse Active Member

Converse

I quit smoking when I was twenty, and about to adopt a seven year-old. I knew that I didn't want him to smoke, so I figured it would be best if I didn't. I never really enjoyed smoking so I was glad to quit, but that doesn't mean that it was easy, at least not when I tried to quit on my own. I went through a program called "Stop for Life," and it worked. I'm not sure how it worked but it wasn't very hard at all.

11. mattattack New Member

mattattack

Of course it's unhealthy. But so are big macs and pints of beer. I believe that people should be allowed to do whatever that want to do providing it doesn't harm anybody else. If you want to smoke yourself into oblivion, go for it, it's stupid, but it shouldn't be illegal to do so. I am a non-smoker, and I would rather nobody smoked, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to. I think it's unlikely that it will ever be banned, especially here in the UK where the government gets just insane amounts of tax from every packet of cigarettes sold (like £8 now)

12. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

If smoking should be banned since its unhealthy then what about burgers, pizza, ice cream, cheese, doughnuts, candy, sodas, etc. Sodas are probably worse than cigarettes. They have an ungodly amount of sugar. I'm a health nut myself so I keep my diet very healthy but it shouldn't be illegal to eat/drink/breath unhealthy stuff.

toradrake likes this.
  13. Jason76 Member

Jason76

People shouldn't smoke around minors period, especially children and babies. When I see parents to that then I get very angry. Normally, I'm not a judgemental person, but smoke around kids is child abuse. Now, otherwise, I don't really care if adults smoke. If I don't like it, then I can leave.

14. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Honestly, even if you ban it people won't stop smoking. Think about all the people who are using drugs, and those are illegal. So no matter what they won't go away. Yes, they are unhealthy, but that doesn't mean that they will go away. I would also like to see them go away. Honestly, they are so bad for your health, and they kill thousands of people so I don't see why they wouldn't get rid of them. I know that stores like CVS are starting to stop selling them, and I'm happy that they are. I think that soon a lot of other stores will be doing that.

15. Jason76 Member

Jason76

A little smoke won't kill you. As I stated in a previous post, I'm mostly concerned about children, and even teenagers who are forced to breathe a lot of smoke due to smoking parents. They seem to be the only real victims when it comes to smoking. As far as adults are concrened, the warning is on the package. How much vicitimization is really going on?

16. Jason76 Member

Jason76

I don't think banning smoking totally is a good idea. For instance, if a group of adults choose to smoke in a certain place, say a smoking bar, then they're not hurting anyone. Ultimately, people should be free to do what they want to themselves, as long as they're not hurting others or animals. I'm definitely against pet ownership for people who smoke constantly around their pets.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  17. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I mean I have to agree with you. Even if there was a ban on smoking it wouldn't stop people. I mean look at all the people who do drugs. They know that they can go to jail, but they don't care. I'm sure that the same thing would happen with cigarettes. I think that if they aren't around people who don't mind then like you said it's fine. If they are at a smoking bar or far enough away from a building, then it's okay. You just don't want to do it in front of the people who really don't like it on purpose.

18. proxy New Member

proxy

Soon here in my country smoking will be banned and tax are higher and higher.If you buy a pack of cigarettes you will see a sample of disease like cancer of the throat and lungs and warning like this''Government warning cigarettes smoking is dangerous to your health''

19. kunkablade Member

kunkablade

Smoking is go to see death soon, so don't do that :(

20. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

LOL, so is crossing the street

:)

fastreplies