1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Should I use separate language categories?

Discussion in 'Directory Operation' started by KenBrace, Mar 16, 2015.

1. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Would it be better to create specific categories for languages besides English or should all sites be categorized according to niche no matter what language they're in?

I'm inclined to think that other languages should have their own category since they're aren't very many of them. A spanish speaking person will want to search through the spanish forums.

What do you think?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I would separate them. I don't think most people will continue browsing if they come across things in languages they don't understand, and I think that's true regardless of the language. Most English language directories only accept sites that are in English, given that it's pretty difficult to ensure quality if you don't understand the language of the site you are evaluating. Others will include them together in a separate category tree, sometimes called World.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

People gravitate to the familiar. If you give them separate categories that are targeting towards them alone, they are more likely to use it.

4. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I am inclined to agree with you folks. I think I will create a separate category for non-english forums. Under that category I can create a bunch of sub-forums for the various languages like spanish, russian, french, etc.

People really want things in their own language. There's nothing more annoying than searching for a site and finding one that looks interesting just to discover that it's russian or german.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

I have that happen all the time and translators (as mentioned in another thread) do not always get the translations right.