1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Should a .org be commercial?

Discussion in 'Domains' started by Jason76, May 7, 2015.

1. Jason76 Member

Jason76

The original intent of .org was to be non-commercial. However, there was a myth going around a few years ago which said SEO favored .com, .net and .org. Therefore, people went into a rush to buy commercial .org names. However, nowadays, most extentions will rank worldwide, so fewer people chase .org

Also, what do you consider non-commercial.? For instance, if you placed an adsense ad, but the profits went to charity, then wouldn't that be an exception?

2. vtech New Member

vtech

by .org it doesnt mean that it has to be a charitable organization though if someone markets website to gain ads and that return is invested in charity than obviously its a best sign.

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

The general idea of a .org extension is that it represents an organization but there is nothing in place that would prevent anyone from registering a .org address and using it for any purpose. I have a lot of .org domains and, while I am not using any of them for a commercial site, they are not organizations.

4. Jason76 Member

Jason76

I think .us is a good extention for a non-profit site, especially if .org is not available. It sounds for very patriotic and looks like something that should be free of commercial advertising. I would say the same thing for other national extentions like .ca or .co.nz.

5. reddyash New Member

reddyash

.us is location based domain name and is used by us people. It is not for a non profit.

6. Klausm New Member

Klausm

it kind of bothersome how new extension spring up and the Internet as a whole cannot catch up in 5 years.
    .net and .org are accepted everywhere, .xyz or .club they are not excepted specially when submitting articles or directories.

Anyway there is no reason why .org cannot make money, non commercial does not exclude making money.

7. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

Actually initially there was requirement to provide proof but after while because
    of restriction .org based on decision of ICANN become whidely accessible.

:)

fastreplies