1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Seo techniques

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by peopletrendin, Nov 12, 2014.

1. peopletrendin New Member

peopletrendin

What is the difference between white hat seo and black hat seo?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

The short answer is that black hat SEO is the stuff that Google doesn't like, while white hat SEO is the stuff they haven't gotten around to not liking yet. Perhaps someone here has a longer answer.

Scorp and toradrake like this.
  3. toradrake Member

toradrake

About Technology Black Hat SEO "Black Hat search engine optimization is customarily defined as techniques that are used to get higher search rankings in an unethical manner. These black hat SEO techniques usually include one or more of the following characteristics:

• breaks search engine rules and regulations
    • creates a poor user experience directly because of the SEO techniques utilized on the Web site
    • unethically presents content in a different visual or non-visual way to search engine spiders and search engine users."
    Webopedia White Hat SEO "usage of optimization strategies, techniques and tactics that focus on a human audience opposed to search engines and completely follows search engine rules and policies".

Hope that helps.

talha123 likes this.
  4. Billy New Member

Billy

It really depends on who you ask. For some, White Hat SEO will be things like Guest Posting or submitting articles to article directories and placing a link back to your site. And Black Hat SEO would, for a lot of people, be spamming links to your site, but as I said, it depends on who you ask.

talha123 and jdroc like this.
  5. midnightblur New Member

midnightblur

Blackhat is that you use technique that is not allowed by Google (now or future), to cheat on Google
    Whitehat is that you use technique that is allowed by Google, just to make Google to easier to understand your content and prove your content quality.

Example for easier understanding :D If you are in love with a girl and really want to marry her
    - Blackhat: make her pregnant first :(
    - Whitehat: propose her with a rose in romantic dinner :p

talha123, Scorp and Converse like this.
  6. jdroc New Member

jdroc

So much fuss is made about this topic. It depends on who you ask. Since google makes the rules and they obviously change them a lot, how can anything be black and white with them? Many posters on this forum will say that it's anything google deems against their rules. However, some people define it as anything that is illegal. Don't be fooled.

Many large companies violate google's policy regularly to help their rankings or to get a traffic boost. Godaddy is one that comes to mind. Look at any website that is hosted and built using Godaddy. At the bottom you will see a clickabe link that says powered by Godaddy or something to that effect. Personally, I can't consider this white hat. The consumer didn't ask for this link and it's a very strong contextual link pointing back to their website. If somebody clicks that link it takes them to Godaddy. Surely, a newer website owner would not want a visitor to leave their site for a Godaddy promotion.

The website owner doesn't gain anything for this link. There are many more situations I can point out like this. One of the newer things is using widgets with specific link information inside the code that most people wouldn't think to check. I'm not saying that one will not get penalized for this type of stuff, but Google obviously turns a blind eye to certain activities by larger companies.

talha123 and Converse like this.
  7. Billy New Member

Billy

The discussion here reminds me of what happened a few months back with a site called MyBlogGuest. People thought that it was okay to use the site, because it was within Google's terms, but then Google turned around and penalized sites for using it. In fact, some people even claimed that they had signed up to the site, but hadn't gotten around to doing any posts, which would suggest that Google just went through the user database and penalized all sites in there. Google changes rules all of the time, and even when you consider yourself "white hat" you'll get hit, just read some of the comments on Matt Cutt's blog.

8. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

Yet guest posting is still alive and kicking. In short, Google does a great job of spreading fear within the SEO community. They say this and that no longer works. But when you do your own research (provided you know what you're doing), you'll learn that what G says isn't always the truth. This is why I always say never believe everything G says.

talha123 likes this.
  9. Billy New Member

Billy

Very true, I'm glad that you said that, because on a lot of forums I end up getting into arguments with people, because they believe every little thing that Google (Matt Cutts) tells them. In my opinion, when Google says not to do something, it means that it works, and they cannot prevent it from working on their search engine.

10. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

But this is not to say that pure "whitehat" techniques do not work, because they certainly do. In most cases, it just takes (a lot) more time before you see the results you want. Whereas "blackhat" makes things faster, provided you know what you're doing. I just don't like it when people talk as if the only method that works is the one they're using. I don't categorize myself as whitehat or blackhat. I just find what works for me. And I encourage everyone to do the same. Stop listening to everything Google says.

Billy likes this.
  11. Billy New Member

Billy

Oh yeah, totally. The argument that most 100% white hats have is that even though they are investing a lot of time and money into their sites, it will pay off in the long run, because Google will never penalize their sites. I just find it sad that so many people are brain washed to believe that white hat will never get them punished. White hat works, but what good is it if it takes you 3 months to rank for a keyword and then a new update washes away all of your progress?

12. Brennen Member

Brennen

If we follow search engines algorithms then it known as White Hat or else if we violates the rules of those algorithms then it is known as Black Hat SEO. Black hat seo simply named as negative seo as well. Because it does not care about anything. Copy the contents from some where else then past it on some blog or article site with working URL. This may leads to get website penalized.

13. Billy New Member

Billy

Actually, negative SEO is when someone will blast a competitor's site with spammy links in hopes of giving them a penalty or harming their ranking.

talha123 and Converse like this.
  14. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

There's so much more into it than that. I agree that many get penalized for this, but others who are supposed to be "innocent" get hit, too. Some say this is just a result of collateral damage. Maybe. Maybe not. In any case, this just shows that search engines still have a ways to go in terms of providing the best results for their users.

Billy likes this.
  15. xTinx New Member

xTinx

I guess everyone who commented before me have already given you their 2 cents if not their own experience of these two different SEO techniques. Basically, it's called white hat because it's pure and honest in its own way. These are SEO techniques that follow search engine rules. On one hand, black hat techniques try to trick search engines and make use of crawling software to a great extent.

talha123 likes this.
  16. laxmirai269 New Member

laxmirai269

The difference between black hat and white hat SEO has to do with the techniques used when trying to improve a website's search engine ranking. Black hat SEO is atechniques and strategies used to get higher search rankings, and breaking the search engine rules.

talha123 likes this.
  17. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

But do you know how to recognize which is which?

fastreplies

talha123 likes this.
  18. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

You might want to give credit to the site below where you copied and paste what you posted here?
    https://positionly.com/university/t...rence-between-white-hat-seo-and-black-hat-seo

talha123 likes this.
  19. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

LOL, if you're expecting to see Internet etiquette from Trolls, you're better get
    a whole lot of popcorn and coffee because you're for a long wait

:)

fastreplies

talha123 likes this.
  20. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

I really don't mind.. really :D

talha123 likes this.