1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Online Phone Books

Discussion in 'Directory Reviews' started by toradrake, Nov 29, 2014.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

I know that when we think directories, we only think of directories for websites... however, online phone books are also a type of directory. I have noticed though that there are some businesses that are not including in the online phone book listings their web presence (facebook, website, twitter, etc...).

Now I know that landlines are becoming more and more scarce, primarily only businesses and a few old timers who just refuse to let go... but I think that online phone book listings are great for websites and can be very beneficial.

What are your thoughts or questions on Online Phone Books?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

Isn't that a little bit like what BOTW local is doing? They offer more than phone number, to be sure, but a large part of it is to allow businesses without a website to be listed.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

Yes, but I am referring to business' that have a website online and do not list that website in their business listings and thus gain no benefit from it. Less and less people use these types of directories because land lines are not a commonly thought of thing (still waiting for the cell phone books to start getting out there :p).

I'm mainly interested in how being listed in these directories might help with your marketing in the aspect of back links. Sorry if I did not emphasize that, still eating at the turkey from TD and was very sleepy when posting. LOL

4. Arianna New Member

Arianna

I use superpages.com a lot. The reverse phone number look up is my favorite. If it is in the database you can get an address and full name. It has a ton of home numbers if they are listed. Business listings are there too. Anyone can open an account to list theirs at no cost.

5. Sparkster New Member

Sparkster

I would think that less people would be inclined to post their phone numbers online. Spam is definitely much more difficult and more annoying to deal with over the phone. First of all, you have no choice but to answer just in case it's a genuine call and you also end up getting random unsolicited calls from bots scouring the internet for numbers. This is what I have discovered from putting my phone number in directories anyway.

6. xTinx New Member

xTinx

How are online phone books different from the usual directories like Yelp and Yellow Pages? I mean, Yelp and Yellow Pages do contain the phone numbers, addresses and websites of various establishments. Is there a distinctive difference between the aforementioned directories and online phone books?

7. LitoLawless New Member

LitoLawless

I honestly didn't even know that online phone books eisted. I don't really see the point in them. Regular phone books were quite popular for the simple reason that were had no other way of carrying out searches for people, places, or services. With the rise of the internet and web directories, phone books should be pretty much obsolete by now. All it takes is a simple Google search and you can find almost any company that you are looking for. The last time I saw a phone was when I was in New York. I was walking down the Upper West Side, and I ran into a phone booth that had a phone book sitting there in case you have too look up a number. I can only assume it was there for nostalgic purposes.

8. tasha New Member

tasha

I love the idea of an online phone book but at the same time it could be annoying for privacy issues. I actually never enjoyed looking through the phonebook for a number as it is so time consuming and I would either call the directory service to connect me directly to the number or I would google it and find it myself. When you are in a phone booth I am pretty sure you already have the number that you are wanting to call.

9. Sunflower_Michele54 New Member

Sunflower_Michele54

I would only use online phone books if I wanted to look up someone's information. This would usually be of people from my past that I wanted to try reaching out to. It worked in some cases. I feel like it makes looking up information such as addresses and phone numbers much easier than a traditional phone book. The phone books that I have in my house only include contact information for the county that I live in. So, it is helpful for my county if I am unable to find something to this effect online. However, if I want to look up contact information outside of my county, the online phone books are the way to go. Yelp is one website that is very usual for me in cases like these. I am sure other websites could be useful as well. You just have to do a lot of research.

10. tasha New Member

tasha

I sometimes think that an online phonebook would be useful but in some instances I would not like my number published on the web. A great idea for business as you can add addresses, phone numbers and a description of what you do but if you are trying to avoid an old friend or flame then definitely not a good idea!

11. Jason76 Member

Jason76

I never really thought about it, but online phone books should be an option. A large number of people are on computer, so they should have access to phone numbers online as well as in print. However, phone books might already be online. Does anyone know?

12. tasha New Member

tasha

I have tried to look for numbers and there are websites that give out business numbers and details of a business but it is not like the directory. I have my stuff online but would hate to know that my personal details are all over the net.

13. Jason76 Member

Jason76

I would keep my businesss numbers seperate from personal ones in the case of stalkers and other weirdos. Of course, the major search engines give higher ranking to websites which disclose contact information, but you don't have to give extremely personal numbers. Also, I don't care about putting my first and last name on everything cause it seems narcissistic, but search engines want to know the full identity of the author.

14. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I think that it's a really great way for you to able to find the things you need online. I know that sometimes I look up different places online so that I can get their phone number. I believe that it's just another smart way that we are able to get in touch with people that we need. All this information is at our fingertips. Amazing how fast we are able to get this information too. A lot of times you can't find the number you are looking for in a normal phone book, so this is just a better way.

15. SLTE New Member

SLTE

To a degree you can find someone's phone details online, but you need to know their number already. I've inputted numbers online to identify unknown callers, typically to see if I'm being targeted by a scam of some kind. I don't think I've ever been taken to a phone directory. It's not a bad idea, but I can see a lot of people not wanting to open themselves to the dregs of the internet. I barely use my phone and I still probably wouldn't submit my number to a phone directory online.