1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Online Newspaper Directory

Discussion in 'Directory Reviews' started by blur92, Jan 24, 2015.

1. blur92 New Member

blur92

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/

Many of you are probably already aware of it, but I'm taking a second to appreciate this directory. I came across it today about 15 minutes ago. Frankly, I'm a bit giddy about it. I've been aware of online newspapers, however, having been relatively new to directories has caused this gem to fall under my radar. As someone who enjoys sociology, anything cultural related catches my eye. With this directory I am able to have access to a motley collection of newspapers around the world. The site is not only organized by regions on the map, but also by language so I have access to foreign sites in English. Regardless, even the pictures and overall graphic design interest me so checking out the untranslated news sites is still fun.

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

Many years ago, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I ran an online newspaper -- Magic City Morning Star. I haven't run it as a newspaper for several years. Although it's still online, other people have been publishing articles to it and, other than paying for its hosting costs, I haven't done anything with it for a while, although I sometimes think about reviving it. I see that it's still listed on this site, though, in the Maine section.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

I was looking for something similar to this, found a RSS Search Engine instead. I like the RSS Search Engine, but I would like to find a good directory for RSS News Feeds rather then a search engine.

4. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

I have to say, that is a good idea! To be able to access many different newspapers on the same RSS feed! I like the website in the sense that you can select the location of the papers!

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

The problem is, it is easier to have a directory of RSS feeds then a search engine because in a directory, the person just looks up the category to find what they want. A search engine can come back with random results based on the search query. For example, lets say I want current news rss feeds. I put current news in the search engine. I could get a string of rss feeds from gardening to motorcycles because any of those may have a current news rss feed. In a category basis though, current news is current news. Just because the site offers current news, does not mean it will be there because it would be categorized based on the type of site it is. Motorcycle in motorcycle category, gardening in gardening so to speak. I would create a rss feed directory if it was not for the fact that I am still learning this stuff and not really ready to start one just yet. But it is a thought. Anyone want to go in with me on it?