1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Keyword density

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by peopletrendin, Dec 16, 2014.

1. peopletrendin New Member

peopletrendin

What is meant by keyword density?

2. Billy New Member

Billy

It refers to how many times you've used a certain keyword in the content. So, if I wanted an article to rank for the keyword "weight loss" and wrote a 500 word article about the topic, and wanted a keyword density of 2%, then I'd use the keyword 10 times in the 500 word article.

3. peopletrendin New Member

peopletrendin

Thank you.

4. xTinx New Member

xTinx

Since someone already explained to you what keyword density means, let me just add that although density still matters to some extent, the new algorithm requires that you slowly shift your focus to keyword synonyms or keywords that are closely related to the one you're using. For instance, when you search for the keyword "SEO," Google will present to you a list of results. Go to the bottom of the listed websites and you'll see a section headlined "Searches related to SEO" composed of the following keywords: seo basics, seo company, seo jobs and seo services to name a few. The related searches highlighted by Google are what you call keyword synonyms.

5. Scorp Member

Scorp

One thing I want to mention about keyword density. Anyone who uses Wordpress certainly knows, has used, or uses the Yoast's SEO plugin.

Now, the plugin checks for keyword density in your content, and it's a great plugin I highly recommend.

However, there's a problem with it. The problem is that the plugin will check the keyword density in the body of you article, but it will not check the keyword density of the Entire Page.

What I mean by that is, say you have a keyword density for your keyword at 3%, and you're happy. But the plugin (and I assume other plugins too) doesn't include the title of your post, it doesn't include that word if it's found in the sidebar, header or footer of your blog.

So I advise that you use an external keyword density checker when checking for the keyword density of a page on your blog, so that you get 100% accurate results.

And also, remember that the Comments on your blog can raise your keyword density further, depending on what's being commented and if that keyword is being used by the people commenting.

6. Converse Active Member

Converse

Yeah, I use Yoost's SEO plugin but it's not a good idea to strive for the green light, necessarily. In some cases that might be over-optimization, which could even have negative effects. Still, it's a useful tool. But it's just that -- a tool -- not the brains of the operation.

Scorp likes this.
  7. vespid49 New Member

vespid49

It refers to the amount of times a keyword is used in a particular body of content. If you mention the word more, the overall density increases. However, you should also be aware that search engines now make use of keyword synonyms as well. What I mean by that is if you search 'apples', at the bottom of most search pages you're going to get 'related searches'. So, if you increase the density of the synonyms that your primary keyword will provide, you will also show up more on the related searches page.

8. srisathvika New Member

srisathvika

keyword density means it is the percentage of times keyword or phrase appears on the webpage compared to the total amount of words on that page.

9. 111kg New Member

111kg

You shouldn't even bother with keyword density. It used to be important, but nowadays it doesn't have any value. Google understands very well what sites should rank (based on its own system) and it barely cares about this factor. Use it in the title if you want, maybe in a subtitle, but don't put too much accent on it.

10. jblogger New Member

jblogger

So, many of you have already answered the original question, but I would like to know what's the right keyword density to aim for when writing an article? @Converse already mentioned over-optimization so I think there might be a magic number that must be used (or must not be abused) and I want to know which one is it.

11. Scorp Member

Scorp

Hey @jblogger,

So the popular opinion is that the right keyword density should be 2-5% of the entire Page the article is located on. What I mean by that is, say you're writing an article about Twitter, and you make your keyword density at 4%. But then you have on that Page (not the article body, but the page the article is on) in the sidebar a Twitter gadget where the keyword "Twitter" is mentioned, and in your sharing buttons also "Twitter", and in the Footer also "Twitter". So now, for that page, the keyword density has just increased, even though your article has a keyword density of 4%.

It's about the Entire page the article is on, not just the article. It's just something I thought I'd mention. It usually won't be an issue, but it's something to keep in mind. Honestly, I never even look at the % of my posts keyword density. I don't know, I write my posts myself, and I find that when I write them for the reader and not for the search engine, the keyword density is always at acceptable levels.

Cheers

12. jblogger New Member

jblogger

@Scorp well it looks like it's really hard to aim for a specific keyword density, so how can we avoid over-optimization for a single keyword? After reading what you said I believe having a density of about 2-3% on the article should be enough, that way if the entire page has the keyword on another place the density shouldn't increase much. Am I right?

Scorp likes this.
  13. Scorp Member

Scorp

@jblogger Yes, I'd say you're right.

Honestly, I don't even worry about it. I write for the reader, not for the search engine. The only thing I do is I keep in mind the keyword density. So if I sense that I've inserted a particular keyword far too many times, I make a small change. However, to be honest I don't even run my articles/posts through a keyword density analyzer or anything. I don't put a lot of emphasis on this.

But what you said is right.

14. cwvps New Member

cwvps

I don't worry about the keyword density either. I write what I need to say and I stay true to my goal, regardless some rules of SEO, if necessary. But lately I've noticed I'm using more keywords in my posts than I should. I go back and make the necessary changes, but I'm somewhat confused about this. Maybe some rules changed or I just gave in and started using keywords more often with the purpose, not even being aware of it.

15. 111kg New Member

111kg

3% is way to high, trust me. Would you like to read something about, let's say "Versaci red dresses", if the keyword appears 2-3 times in 5 lines? The users get bored and don't even finish reading your article if they notice this pattern.

16. srimathi Member

srimathi

Keyword density is the percentage of times a keyword appear on web page compared to the total number of words on web page

17. ramkumar Member

ramkumar

Keyword density is one of the On page technique in seo. It refers to the percentage of times a particular keyword appear in the web page to the total number of words on the web page.

18. srimathi Member

srimathi

Keyword density is the percentage of times a keyword or phrase appears on a web page compared to the total number of words on the page. In the context of search engine optimization keyword density can be used as a factor in determining whether a web page is relevant to a specified keyword or keyword phrase.

19. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

It is simply the percentage of keywords used in the on a content.

20. kavipriya Member

kavipriya

Keyword density refers to the percentage of times a keyword appear on the webpage compared to the total number of words on the page.