1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Is Your Site Suffering From Mobile Usability Issues?

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by Ray, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Ray Active Member

Ray

Last week, I received a letter from uncle Google (Google Webmaster Tools), advising me to "fix mobile usability issues" found on one of my websites, (not any of my web directories).

Here's what they say:
    "Google systems have tested 58 pages from your site and found that 100% of them have critical mobile usability errors. The errors on these 58 pages severely affect how mobile users are able to experience your website. These pages will not be seen as mobile-friendly by Google Search, and will therefore be displayed and ranked appropriately for smartphone users."

At the same time, the site has almost disappeared from search results, when searching for known (first-page) related keywords, it now starts to show results from the site, 20 to 30 pages down the SERP. If this is not a penalty, I don't know what is.

As a little background information about this site; it was started in 2002, and has been a construction-related articles site, with a fair amount of traffic until recently.

My problem in simply updating the template is that, the script that the site runs on, was discontinued back in 2012, and like with most older scripts, the html and script codes are mingled together in such a way that, it would take a lot of coding to update.

So the lesson here boys and girls is: Google is now making "mobile usability" a determining factor for how your site is found on the SERP.

Note: No Pandas nor Penguins were harmed while creating this thread... :mad:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I got something similar on two of my sites.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

I have not received any notices on either of my sites yet. Seems my sites are mobile ready. As a matter of fact, the last time I checked (yesterday) Google showed no errors on my site. Go ME. LOL :p

I thought it was Panda and Penguins hunting season????

4. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I've always had random glitches and petty but sometimes annoying issues with the mobile version of my forum. Usually it has to do with the javascript. I will hover over to multiquote and the popup button is displayed way below where it is supposed to be. It typically works pretty well though. Just something weird every now and then.

I've had much more difficulty with my own software though. I find it INCREDIBLY difficult to create a good mobile version of a site. There are always problems with the CSS sizing and positioning as well as the javascript not popping up in the right place.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

@KenBrace, I am not sure if I am remembering correctly but I think there is a code you can put into your site that automatically sizes it according to the size of the screen the user is using. I am not sure how it works or what the coding is, but I think someone once mentioned it to me or show me or something... sorry, old age is catching up on me. LMAO

6. Ray Active Member

Ray

Hi Tora!
    If there's such a code, I'd like to buy 4 of them, and add some fries to go with that order. I got 4 old websites that can really use them. :confused:

The problem is a lot more complex than just adding a some "code" that can fix it. In some cases, it requires a complete reconstruction of the script you're running, HTML and CSS, not to mention several JavaScripts that are required to render a responsive page. Remember that most sites are script driven, specially article sites, blogs, directories, forums and many others. Those pages are dynamically generated, and require that all the components be incorporated into a system to produce the desired results.

I'm seriously considering scrapping those sites altogether, because of this issue.
    Senility can sneak-up on you sometimes... :eek:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  7. toradrake Member

toradrake

I was looking about and I found an article for you to read on this. But I also figured out why I was thinking there was a code to automatically do it. My boyfriend created an app a while back for a site we had that made the site show correctly on the phone. When we drop the site, we dropped the app. I will see if he is interested in making it again... or even if he remembers how. LMAO I think it was a fluke the first time he did it. He was just goofing around.

http://mashable.com/2010/07/13/mobile-web-optimization/

Here is another site you may want to check out that may help you a bit.

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/webkit/WebView.html

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  8. Ray Active Member

Ray

Hi Tora!
    First of all, the article above is from July, 2010, when responsive design was not even a topic of discussion, I'm not 100% sure but, I don't think it even out in those days.

Secondly, an app is a separate installation, requiring users to download and install it in their mobile device, not to mention that Google regards it as duplicate content.

Unless you update into a responsive design environment, you're not going to make uncle Google happy.

By the way, this has been mentioned in this forum before; "responsive design" is where a site accommodates, and adapts to all types of viewing screens, not just mobile.

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

I know what responsive design is @Ray, I'm not that dense ...:p.

I just listed the first site for "informative" purposes. It is not a direction. Its just a starter. I am hoping the second site will help give some ideas.

10. xTinx New Member

xTinx

That's so true. When you audit your site at MOZ or SEO Optimer for instance, they always recommend you to put up a mobile version of your site. In the past, I didn't quite understand the purpose of this or whether such a move would be beneficial to my SEO prospects. As it happened, the website I handled for a past client went up notches after our web designer/programmer adjusted it for mobile usability.

11. Converse Active Member

Converse

The old recommendations were to put up a mobile version of the site, but the new recommendations are for one version of the site that will adapt to different size screens = responsive design.

12. toradrake Member

toradrake

When I was in the scripting of my forum, I actually came across the code for the mobility usability. So I am good in this department. I started double checking my sites because I knew they were set up for mobility usage, but I wanted to make for certain I was right.

13. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I'm running XenForo on my site and it has very good mobile compatibility. The developers did a good job there.

However when I was creating my own forum software scripts I did have a hard time getting the mobile version to work out. This is largely do to the fact that I haven't done much mobile programming. I'm sure I'd get better with a bit of practice.

14. Ray Active Member

Ray

Update!!!
    I'm happy to report that; as of now, these sites have passed Google's Mobile-Friendly Test.
    It took me almost 2 weeks to convert all affected script and template files to get them to render the responsive-design template I used for this project.
    So, with a little work, I was able to rescue these 2 article directories from the "mobile-unfriendly" trash can.
    Check them out:
    www.constructiontrends.com
    www.letsbuild.org

Converse likes this.
  15. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I just ran my newest site through the Google Mobile Test and it failed miserably.

That's pretty much what I expected though. I haven't designed any sort of mobile functionality yet.

Will have to work on that as soon as my plate clears up a bit.

16. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I think that this is actually a huge issue because I have noticed a lot of sites now aren't mobile friendly. It stinks too because I would much rather try getting online with my tablet sometimes than with my laptop. Right now mine doesn't work so well, so it's easier that way. I think that the forums could be a little more mobile friendly, well some of them. I've never been on this forum with my tablet, but some forums are bad.

17. maverick New Member

maverick

It used to be in the past yes for the simple reason that optimizing a website for mobile isn't really easy because you have to take care of a lot of things like the impagination of the page, different CSS pages and stuff like that but when Google announced that the support for mobile devices will affect the SEO rank I adequate myself.