1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Is anyone here professionally employed/successfully freelancing in website development?

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by Alunny, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Alunny Member

Alunny

I would like to speak to people who are professionally employed (hired by a company) in website development, or who are successfully freelancing/self employed (that is - making $2k+ a month).

I've been passionate about building websites and software for websites since I was 13 but I have had a lot of trouble finding the right courses to lead me to where I want to be. Everything I find focusses on non web languages and coding, as well as networking. I want to know a bit about people who are successful where I want to be....so if you wouldn't mind....please answer the following questions, which I have put in a code box so you can easily copy and paste:

Code:
    [B]Where do you live? (country)[/B]:
    [B]What does your company do? OR Where/How do you freelance?[/B]:
    [B]What is your occupation and title? (Freelancers: what would you call yourself?)[/B]:
    [B]What is the "job description"? What do you do exactly?[/B]:
    [B]How much do you make a month (if willing to share)[/B]:
    [B]How much work/how hard do you work for that salary?[/B]:
    [B]What are your qualifications? Certificates/Diplomas/Higher[/B]:
    [B]Are your qualifications Relevant? For example you may have a Bachelor in Software Development but be working on front end design at your company so not 100% relevant but still usable[/B]:
    [B]How did you get to where you are now?[/B]:

Would really love and appreciate answers, and will likely reply as well. Please don't respond if you are a freelancer casually, doing odd jobs/contracts/clients sort of thing as a hobby...I really only want to speak to freelancers and people who are self employed as website developers if they are making roughly 2k a month.

2. vtech New Member

vtech

Where do you live? (country): Pakistan
    What does your company do? OR Where/How do you freelance?:Our company name is vtech, working as web design, development, domain registratin and web hosting company
    What is your occupation and title? (Freelancers: what would you call yourself?): Marketing Manager
    What is the "job description"? What do you do exactly?: Marketing
    How much do you make a month (if willing to share):Not Allowed
    How much work/how hard do you work for that salary?:work 8 - 10 hours maximum
    What are your qualifications? Certificates/Diplomas/Higher: MBA
    Are your qualifications Relevant? For example you may have a Bachelor in Software Development but be working on front end design at your company so not 100% relevant but still usable: YES
    How did you get to where you are now?: Hardwork and Believe.

Alunny likes this.
  3. Alunny Member

Alunny

What's an MBA? Is it like a Bachelor...what's it on? :)

I'm trying to learn PHP and I do get some of the basic stuff but I feel like I've hit a wall in my learning. I can make simple websites with a framework, but I couldn't do the same thing without one. I can make templates and things work well but I can't really do backend code well. I'd like to learn them but I feel like I am either missing something fundamental or going to the wrong places. Also every time I pay for a course online they teach the basic stuff, even if they say it's advanced so I have not gained a lot of headway.

Do you work with PHP or some other language? :D Any tips or advice?