1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Internet Marketing Magazines

Discussion in 'Website Marketing' started by jblogger, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jblogger New Member

jblogger

I think reading Magazines is a good way to keep up to date with a lot of topics. I'm subscribed to a couple of magazines about web design and web development and each month I see what's new and/or hot on those fields.

I'm really interested in Internet Marketing and would like to know if there's any magazine I can follow to see what's trending in that field.

2. Billy New Member

Billy

For me, the best way to see what's happening in the world of Internet marketing is to be a member of several popular IM forums. A lot of the time the "experts" don't know nearly as much as some of the guys who are on the forums testing things daily.

3. jblogger New Member

jblogger

@Billy you are making a good point there, and it's something I haven't though about. By the time a magazine gets printed maybe people have come with something different. Still I would like to find a magazine so I can have some kind of "authoritative" information.

But as you pointed out I'll start by checking out some forums. Do you know of any besides Warrior Forum I should care about?

Thanks for your reply!

Billy likes this.
  4. toradrake Member

toradrake

Excellent point @Billy. My typical thing is to read Mag's and talk to people in Forums. Between the two I can usually sort out what works and what doesn't that way.

@jblogger the two Mag's I read are actually online. Search Engine Watch and Search Engine Guide.

Billy and jblogger like this.
  5. jblogger New Member

jblogger

@toradrake thanks for the heads up. I'll check both sites and see what I can find there.

6. Billy New Member

Billy

There are a lot of great forums online where you can find a ton of great and helpful information. Case studies are especially great, and to be honest, sometimes the people who write for magazines don't even know what they're talking about. A lot of the times it's just rehashed information that they just read somewhere else.

7. ducklord Member

ducklord

Magazines are dead. I know. I worked writing for them.

What's the point of waiting for someone to collect bits and pieces of information to "package" it for you to read, once per month, when you could have already found that information here and now? Information is liquid, it flows constantly, and there's no reason anymore trying to "bottle" it and sell it the way mags did.

Everything's online, now, and all the best sites are fluid and responsive, so you can see them without problems in your smartphone or tablet. And thus, our smartphone and tablets have become the magazine equivalents of the modern era: similar size to a magazine, access to similar but always fresh content.

Billy likes this.
  8. Billy New Member

Billy

Well said. I don't understand why anyone would want to use a magazine for something like marketing. There are some topics that I could imagine people would prefer magazines for, mostly ones where you'd appreciate the pictures, like car magazines, or even historical magazines.

9. jblogger New Member

jblogger

You both are making a good point but I don't think magazines (or any other printed media) are dead. Why would someone wait until is new issue of a magazine is out is simple: to prevent information overload. I know information can already be found all over the web but the up side of magazines is that that information is already curated and given a structure you can follow along. That's why I don't see the end of magazines is anywhere near.

10. ducklord Member

ducklord

@jblogger That's what differentiates pro-sites, like CNN, The Verge, "whatever makes big bucks", from the rest of micro-sites and micro-blogs: the fact that they curate their content and present it to you in the best way possible.

But yeah, I know what you mean. When I worked in mags, we used to write articles that could take up to thirty pages in length. Ultra-analytical guides, multi-part projects. Only on mags could you find projects like "build your own MAME box from scratch" that, if you think about it, is a multi-tutorial huge project covering everything from creating an arcade cabinet from scratch, connecting cables to buttons and sticks you bought online, taking out a CRT from an old TV and connecting it to your PC, installing and customizing the software...

It's stuff that you can find online, but you have to search in many different places and collect and piece together all the pieces of info yourself. AND test the whole thing out to see if it works, where in many cases something will bork and set you back three steps.

That's what I miss most about mags.

As for if they're ok or dying, guys, I'm out of work for more than four years now. I'm working here and there to make ends meet and it's not 'cause "no mag will hire me 'cause I wasn't good at what I was doing". I was doing what I was doing for more than 10 years of my life, quite successfully. The problem is that there aren't any doors to knock on for a position anymore. They're all gone. In Greece we had about ten tech mags and now we're left with, basically, two. If that's not proof that "mags are dying", I don't know what is.

Add to it the fact that many kiddos today haven't even seen a real mag. I remember reading an article mentioning that the writer's kid saw a mag on the floor, picked it up and wondered why the "two finger zoom gesture" didn't work on some parts of it. It's THAT bad for "paper". It's just that whomever grew up surrounded by paper instead of screens hasn't realized the transition yet.

11. tasha New Member

tasha

You can have a look online for ideas on what is trending in the marketing areas and to keep ahead of the times I always look at advertising gurus like coca cola, and other big businesses to see what ideas they are using. Marketing magazines are good but to be creative and think outside of the box it is always a good idea to take a look at what the younger generation are coming up with.

12. Converse Active Member

Converse

Online magazine offer information in a structured manner. Sure, free information is available throughout the Internet but most of it is crap, and this is especially true as it related to Internet marketing. Ninety percent of what you read online about SEO or Internet marketing is wrong, including this statistic, since I just made it up.

Really, people post stuff on forums and tweet things for a couple of reasons, and being helpful is rarely one of them. Mostly, people will repeat things they've heard that they think might make them appear to be wise. Then there are those who make the stuff up, who are generally interested in making the whole business sound so complicated that you've just got to hire a professional (them) to do it for you.

Sure, there are new things that come up from time to time, mostly when the search engines are trying to plug one hole or another, but neither search engine optimization or Internet marketing has changed that much in the past decade. If your goal was to create a good quality site and to help it to be found online, the same things that were important then are important now.

What changes are the things that can work to temporarily bring a low quality site to the top of the listings, but these things have never worked in the long run.

First, you build a good quality site, and update it regularly. Then you use every means at your disposal to encourage people to take a look at it. New avenues of promotion come up from time to time, but they usually offer new opportunities rather than replace the old ones.

13. jblogger New Member

jblogger

Man that's too bad. After reading your post and because of a news I read two days ago now I do think mags are doomed. Maybe it won't be something that happens tomorrow or the day after but sooner or later it will happen.

Yesterday I read a news about was that Dr. Dobb's Journal, a magazine about computer programming, is closing down by the end of 2014. It's a magazine with more than 38 years of history and the reason it'll be discontinued is because it's not making enough money. You can read all about it on Dr. Dobb's main page (Google for it, I can't just yet place links here).

It's a shame because it's not like the magazine isn't making money. It's just not making as much money as United Business Media, the magazine's owners, where expecting. They own the magazine and so they can do whatever they want with it but instead of looking for another revenue model they are just dropping 38 years because their management just sucks.

14. ducklord Member

ducklord

@jblogger It's not exactly like that. When I was working in mags, do you know how many people actually "wrote stuff"? Less than 10. And yet, if you looked at a magazine's "credits", how many people could you find? More than 50! Yep! The reason? Quality!

A blogger or simple site owner doesn't need someone with a degree in the blog's language to check and correct whatever he writes. Doesn't need graphic artists, concept artists, DTP people "to set up the pages", marketers, lab personel... A blogger mostly writes about what he loves, without caring to test if it's fact or fiction, he "borrows" photos and graphics from the web, he doesn't care that much about mistakes... I know, since I'm also a blogger :-D

All that means that, in our age were speed is considered more important than volume, with our shot attention spans and whatnot, people don't care to read 30 pages of in-depth analyses and multi-part projects they'd be working for months to complete. Nope. They want to visit a blog post with a title asking "Is the Galaxy Note 39 any good?" - and the whole content a simple "yeap, buy it" or "nope, pass". And then, on to the next blog "post" of that kind.

jblogger likes this.
  15. Jason76 Member

Jason76

You might be able to find real useful online information from Matt Cutts, Moz, or the Digital Point blog, but not necessarily the forum. However, I'd beware of other online information, or at least I'd do a background check. For instance, I was reading silly stuff online like how using link wheels may be the way to go.