1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Question In which ways does Blekko differ from Google?

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers' started by Converse, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Converse Active Member

Converse

Blekko is a search engine developed by Rich Skrenta, the founder of the DMOZ web directory. In order that you might enrich your minds, and perhaps learn something new, can you tell me the ways in which Blekko differs from the Google search engine? I'll give a month for this one. In the event that answers were attempted, I will choose the Best Answer on December 4. Remember, there can be up to two Best Answers.

By the way, copying or even paraphrasing Blekko's About page does not make for a Best Answer. Include some things that are not on its About page.

2. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

[​IMG]

What is that some kind of trick question?

[​IMG]

fastreplies

3. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

Oh I know, I know, I know...
    Google is a Search Engine
    Blekko is a bad parody or a gloomy joke.

:)

fastreplies

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

There's one more day on this one, if anyone else wants to give it a shot.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

Blekko is human run while Google is automated???

6. Converse Active Member

Converse

I am going to extend this a little longer since I know that some of you have looked at Blekko. I'll choose the best answer on January 2.

7. toradrake Member

toradrake

Best Answer
    Ok, it is January 3 and I want to know the answer.

Other then the fact that Google is much bigger the only thing I can think of is that Blekko seems to have a better search algorithm currently then Google that is "seems" to be a cross between automated crawlers and manual editing. I could be wrong about this, but that is what it appears to be. Their search results are not that great, but they do structure it better then Google does in a way that allows a person to distinguish one result from another. It seems to be more of a directory then a search engine unlike Google which is straight up search engine with little in the way of human interference.

I am probably wrong in my answer, but that is all I can come up with in my view of the two, so what it is the correct answer?

8. Converse Active Member

Converse

That's pretty much it, I believe. Because of greater human involvement, Blekko can offer some distinct advantages. Perhaps for the same reasons though, Google's index is much larger than Blekko's, allowing it to return better results simply because it has more to draw from. Blekko is an interesting idea, and perhaps if it's index were twice the size, or larger, it would return better results than Google. As it is however, results from Blekko are insufficient for it to be a useful resource.

Of course, Blekko allows its users to have input on which websites are going to be used as resources; in other words, to add to its index in much the same way that Skrenta invited volunteers to help build the directory that is now DMOZ, but who has time for that?