1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

I have a complaint

Discussion in 'Suggestions/Complaints' started by WDFAdmin, Nov 3, 2014.

1. WDFAdmin Administrator

WDFAdmin

Staff Member

In order to prevent link spammers from posting links in the forum, a few days ago, I added a posting minimum of twenty-five posts in order to post a link. Well, a few moments ago, I tried to post a link and the damned thing wouldn't let me. That's not fair at all.

2. fastreplies Original Member

fastreplies

Original

25 posts is a little bit too much IMHO, 10 is still long way to go just to drop link

:)

fastreplies

3. Saji New Member

Saji

Um... while it definitely is great that you decided to stop link spammers, I think that 25 posts is a little too much. I think that 15 would be a great number. I'm glad to see this website so wonderfully organized and updated. I'm definitely loving it here. I hope to see more features added in the future! :)

4. TellyV New Member

TellyV

That sounds like a lot of posts, I think the idea is good but that's to much in my opinion. The internet needs to do better at protecting websites from spammers, they can get out of control. Starting new topics is what I like to do but having to wait until I do 25 posts is a lot. 15 should be the max in my opinion, but to each his own. Glad to see that we are protected at the end of the day.

5. Converse Active Member

Converse

It's 20 posts, not 25. I dropped it to twenty quite a while ago.

6. Aree Wongwanlee New Member

Aree Wongwanlee

20? 25? Too much? Why is 20 or 25 posts considered as too much? I know there are forums where members have to make a minimum of 100 posts before they are allowed to have links.

Let's do some simple arithmetic. Let's say, an active member makes, on the average, ten posts a day. That means with the 20 or 25 posts minimum requirement to allow a link, it will only take a couple of days to qualify. The question is whether just posting actively for a couple of days show that the member is serious about the forum? Now, if the requirement is raised to 100 posts, that will mean active posting for a week or two. This would show a surer sign of dedication to the forum.

What do you think?

7. Alunny Member

Alunny

I am new here, I have like 3 posts, and I want to post a very helpful link and this setting is completely preventing me from becoming involved in and interacting in the forum comfortably :(.

Perhaps a better approach is to force posts with links in them to require approval if the member has under 20 posts? I think you would usually catch spammers before they've hit 10 though so that might be a better option - especially since it does not prevent people from posting naturally.

The saying "don't punish the many for the crimes of the few" comes to mind here ;)

8. Converse Active Member

Converse

Okay, 15. That's it, though; and if I get spammers, I'm going to send them over to your forum.

Alunny likes this.
  9. Alunny Member

Alunny

Ha ha go ahead. I have honeypot to stop bots and my forum checks every registration with StopForumSpam.com to make sure the details being used to sign up are not the same as any known spammer! It's been wonderful, I've had 5 get through in the past 3 years and they only made it because they were brand new. They never got to post though I reported them right away and deleted :D.

One thing you should know about me is I HATE dealing with this sort of thing, it feels like babysitting and I hate it. I want to be involved, learning and sharing ideas, not dealing with spam! So I've done all I can to prevent it happening in the first place. It's the first thing I do for my clients too, cause why should anyone deal with that crap?!

I feel for you! <3

10. Converse Active Member

Converse

So far, I haven't had any spammers since I've been running Xenforo. I use StopForumSpam too. I haven't set honeypot up yet but I'm using it on my blog.

Alunny likes this.