1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

How Much Of Your Traffic Comes From Directories?

Discussion in 'Directory Reviews' started by Born Sinner, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Born Sinner New Member

Born Sinner

I own a very, very, very small website.
    I'm interested in any way by which I can increase my traffic, and although I kind of, sort of understad what directories are, it seems that these days all the focus in on SEO, PPC, etc, etc, etc.
    So I just wanted to know, from people who have a real understanding of directories, and certainly have much more experience when it comes to building websites, how much of your traffic comes from these listings?

You some people are sensitive with this information, and I most certainly understand why, but if you share a little bit of your data, as far as bounce rates, etc, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for whatever time you took to reply!

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

Welcome to the forum. I can't speak for others but my sites are in a lot of directories and I get about 15-20% of my traffic from web directories. This doesn't sound like much but, whereas the bounce rates on visitors to my site from Google is very high, it's much lower for those coming from a web directory, the reason being that a well organized directory will send targeted traffic.

A lot of people will tell you that they receive almost no traffic from web directories but if you question them further, you'll find that this is because they haven't submitted their site to web directories, at least not any of the better ones.

3. Born Sinner New Member

Born Sinner

20% is huge! :eek:
    And with lower bounce rates... That's just tremendous!

Is the whole "Google rank lowered because of Web Directory listing" a myth?
    I'm sort of scared of acting on this right away...

Anyway, thanks for sharing, dude!
    Like I said, most people play their cards really close to their chest, and it's totally understandable.

See you around! :)

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

Like most word of wisdom that are posted in SEO blogs and repeated in SEO forums, it is misinterpreted, mangled, and exaggerated. Initially, when search engine were in their infancy, they depended heavily on web directories in order to determine the general topic of a website, the assumption being that if the more reputable web directories placed a site in a blue widget category, then it is probably about blue widgets. Although they keep their algorithms even more secret today, I suspect that this still figures in to some extent, but the search engines use many other variables today.

Because web directories were valued by the search engines, they were indexed heavily, and were given what amounted to special dispensation, in that they were exempted from the requirement that a site have content other than outgoing links. Even junk directories were often ranked fairly well.

The better known, reputable web directories still rank pretty well, despite the fact that some of them have almost no content other than categories and outgoing links. Some don't even have category descriptions. However, many of the junk directories have been hit hard, as they should, and a couple of reasonably well organized directories were caught in the crossfire, while Google was still updating its public PageRank. That is what some have interpreted as an attack on web directories by Google.

Anyhow, as the search engines have become less dependent upon web directories for their own operations, this special dispensation has been relaxed, although not removed entirely. However, newer directories, which do not enjoy authority or reputation, are having a harder time of it, and this is why I strongly recommend directory owners add textual content to their directories, and several of them are, particularly some of the niche directories.

The reality is that only about eighty percent of the junk directories were penalized, and only a couple of the not so junky ones. Given that web directories are evaluated much like regular websites now, content has become an important consideration in web directories as well.