1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

How important is the <title> in SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by KenBrace, Mar 8, 2015.

1. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

How important is the global title of your site?

Should it be short or long?

Which of the following titles should I use?
    • Forum Chest
    • Forum Chest Directory
    • Forum Chest - Forum Directory
    • Forum Chest - FREE Directory
    • Forum Chest - FREE Forum Directory
    The name of the site is "Forum Chest" and I'd rather use it for orderliness but I'm afraid it won't be good for SEO. No one is going to search that. They are going to search "forum directory" or "free forum directory" so I want to have those words in my title.

Or perhaps the title isn't all that relevant in SEO?

Thoughts?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

Meta titles are still important. As for which to use, my suggestion would be Forum Chest Directory. You may find that when you submit your site to other directories, some of them might change the title in the listing to reflect the actual title of your site - Forum Chest - but that's okay, because it doesn't hurt to have some diversity in anchor texts. I would not use the last three suggestions, as they are stretching for keywords.

KenBrace likes this.
  3. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Thanks for the advise @Converse. Yeah I'm going with the second option at the moment. I originally used just the name of the site itself (option one) since it looked neater but I began to realize that it probably wasn't good for SEO because it didn't even have the word "directory" in it. People need to know it's a directory by looking at the title.

4. May102014 New Member

May102014

For me, If I were you I will choose "Forum Chest - FREE Forum Directory". It is best to think the searches mind that they were looking always for a "Free Forum" Directory. So it is more attractive the title to the searches that will make your SEO work out.

Alunny and KenBrace like this.
  5. OhioTom76 New Member

OhioTom76

I would go with the last one personally - it's already naturally short, so even though it's the most verbose of them all, it's still not that long in and of itself. Not to mention it's more descriptive, and the more words in the title the more possibility one of those words will match up to a word(s) in the user's search query, in which case it will be bolded in your SERP listing, should Google choose to use that for the SERP title. That additional bolding could improve the click through rate on your search listings, which will help them stay in that position or perhaps go even higher up.

Usually one of my first rule of thumbs is to keep the title within a certain length, then start fussing over what words you are using in it, but in this case the length is already fine even in the longest example.

6. mr_bucks New Member

mr_bucks

The meta title tag is what social sites like twitter and facebook use when they create the preview for your page. So the title not only has to be SEO friendly but it also has to be people friendly also. Go lookup on facebook and twitter how their meta tags work. So things like title, description etc are important not because of SEO but because of social networks.

7. Jason76 Member

Jason76

A lot of people say the title should be as long as possible, but not going over a certain limit. However, I don't really know why. If you go to sites like ScrubTheWeb.com and study your website, then they will give you that recommendation.

8. tasha New Member

tasha

A title can make or break the site you are on and as a writer my title has to be spot on or I don't get any traffic. I think one out of ten of my sites have been a hit but have never made it to a fantastic payout , seo is important for you to make traffic come anywhere near to your site

9. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Either the title or the url needs to somewhat appeal to SEO. For instance, let's say you have a website about home business. You could either name your URL HomeBusinessPlace.com, and avoid home business in the title, or name your url ACUBB.com, and put the keyphrase "Home Business" in the title. However, no rule is set in stone. Sometimes a mixture of the two methods might work.

Also, sometimes Google will allow a similar word to take the place of a keyphrase. For instance, a website focusing on the phrase "work at home" might rank well for home business.

10. bonzer New Member

bonzer

I've observed Adsense displaying ads based on meta information on some of the blank pages of my blog. The blank pages were label/category pages when I first started the blog. I don't know if meta tags assume importance due to this or not, but I certainly understand that meta tags tell search engines what your site is all about.

For title tag, you better place the article title first followed by site title.

11. juliarobertsm New Member

juliarobertsm

The title tag is the single most important on-page SEO element (behind overall content).

12. peopletrendin New Member

peopletrendin

Hi,
    Title is most important in seo in which the title element of a web page is meant to be an accurate and concise description of a page's content. This element is critical to both user experience and search engine optimization. It creates value in three specific areas: relevancy, browsing, and in the search engine results pages.
    The good practice is title should not more than 80 characters.

13. maverick New Member

maverick

For the SEO all what's in the <head> HTML tag is important as the web crawlers analyze especially these meta tags in order to put them in their SEO algorithms. By the way I would chose the "Forum Chest - FREE Directory" title because it doesn't contain repetive words so that you left space for other significant words. By the way, don't forget to put the other meta tags if you want to increase your SEO like putting keywords, tags and stuff like that. It seems a useless thing but it's indeed fundamental.

14. juliets_journal New Member

juliets_journal

I think the last title "Forum Chest - Free Forum Directory " would be the best according to me. I have always thought that longer titles are much better as compared to the shorter once. Your title should be able to explain to readers what the site is all about in a few words. If it is free then you do not include that small detail, the traffic you get will not be the targeted audience. I think you should put all important information on your title for the sake of your readers because people tend to be so specific with the words they key in the search box. But still, titles should not be too long that they look extra-ordinary. Including keywords in the title is usually very crucial.

15. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

• Forum Chest - FREE Directory
    • Forum Chest Directory
    I'll go for the ones above. Using the same words twice on the title makes it redundant.

16. laxmirai269 New Member

laxmirai269

In seo title is very important. It should be short and informative.

17. Jane Diaz New Member

Jane Diaz

Writing good page titles is an essential skill for anyone doing SEO. The title tag is the first thing a user sees in the search results. It’s also one of the most important factors for Google to decide what the topic of a page is. The combination of these two factors makes it so essential.

The optimal length for a title is determined by how much Google can show in their search results. There are three modes: wide screen, smaller screen and mobile. If you’re asking how many characters does Google show, well it depends. Google doesn’t count a particular number of characters but has a fixed width in which it can show the title. This means it could show many more i’s than it could show w’s.

18. Klausm New Member

Klausm

Google is ony one search engine and it's clock is ticking.
    They become too big and they are trying to spread their dough to foresee their AT&T break up.

19. ryandennis143 New Member

ryandennis143

A good title is a must. Afterall it's the title that gives the first insight about your article contents

20. wipaq New Member

wipaq

Title defines the entire web page to the search engines and users. Either short or long make it effective and understandable and try to choose accordingly.