1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

How Do You Get People To Format Their Submissions Correctly?

Discussion in 'Directory Operation' started by Soliloquy, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Soliloquy New Member

Soliloquy

I've noticed that no matter if I warn people on the submission page that incorrectly formatted or spammy submissions will be rejected, they still fill out the form with a title clearly designed for SEO, keyword stuffing in the description, etc. I usually end up editing it by hand, else I feel I'd have no submissions at all. But it just takes so much time, and is very annoying. Has anyone successfully solved this problem?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I have rewritten most of the submissions that I have reviewed, both while I was with DMOZ or for other directories. For my directory of directories, I ask only for the URL and a valid email address, and the people who submit to that directory are mostly directory owners. Rather than having to explain just what I am looking for by way of a title and description, only to have to rewrite most of the descriptions anyhow, it's easier for me to simply do it myself.

Whatever the directory though, the accepting editor should visit the site being considered and ascertain whether a description is accurate. Having done that, he may as well write the description. On the other hand, it is nice to review a submission that has been submitted to the correct category, with a correct title, and good description. That doesn't happen often, though.

3. 111kg New Member

111kg

You simply reject their articles and send them a notice in an automatic e-mail. As simple as that.

This way, people will realize that your directory is carefully supervised and, if they are not lazy, will spend some time formatting the article properly. If not, so be it.