1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

How Do You Ensure Your Directories Are Up To Date?

Discussion in 'Directory Operation' started by OhioTom76, Aug 14, 2015.

1. OhioTom76 New Member

OhioTom76

I am curious for those of you who are operating active directories, particularly ones that have been around for a few years now - how do you make sure your information is all up to date? Do you manually review your listings and weed out ones where the sites no longer appear to be active? Or do you periodically email all of the companies listed in your directory requesting that they make sure everything is up to date? I'm thinking of sites like DMoz which used to be popular, but these days there are so many relic sites on there and many of them may not even be active any more.

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

For myself and one directory that I work for, I use a program called Scrutiny to check for bad links. Another directory that I have worked for has an automated process that makes inaccessible sites inactive until an editor can check it out. Far too often though, there is nothing wrong with it, since the problem may have been caused by a temporary glitch. Still, whenever a site is made inactive, there is a notation of that so sites that become inactive too often might be removed permanently.

Neither of these things fixes domains that are now something other than what they were before. My policy is that whenever I touch a category, by adding or modifying a site in it, or changing a category description, I will check every listing in that category and make whatever changes might be indicated.

None of these things are perfect solutions, so you'll find some bad sites on pretty much any directory. However, the ones that don't take steps to minimize the problem are obvious.

3. tlspiegel New Member

tlspiegel

When I had a web directory, this was my main problem with keeping it up to date due to dead links. I used several different applications to check daily, and even this wasn't always correct, because a site may be offline for any number of reasons when it was checked, and then two minutes later it was back online and active. There are dozens of broken link checker tools on the internet.

Finding sites to put into the directory and utilizing a nice short description was the fun part. Sites could be added all the time. But,
    web directories don't rank well with Google, so keep your SERP expectations realistic. Additionally, web directories with a specific niche topic do better than general all over the map directories.

The best thing about quality web directories is you usually won't find a lot of spam sites listed.

4. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

I don't intend to offend you guys, but are directories still that valuable?
    I mean what's the purpose of using it when majority of people use search engines?

5. 111kg New Member

111kg

People use web directories and article directories for SEO purposes, not as search engines. Some of them are still valuable, but not because they bring value to their readers, but rather because a link there can impact positively the rankings of a certain website for a certain keyword. However, in my experience, the number of valuable directories is smaller and smaller with each day that passes.

6. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

Exactly. Most people only use if for backlinking purposes.
    Aside from getting a backlink? What else does it serve?
    I believe that any directories designed for search engines purpose is not worthy, but more of a link scheme.