1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

How Did You Populate Your Directories Initially?

Discussion in 'Directory Operation' started by OhioTom76, Aug 14, 2015.

1. OhioTom76 New Member

OhioTom76

I have a potential web site I am considering making, which I am envisioning would be a combination of a blog format as well as a directory format, and perhaps even add a forum to it down the road.

My main reason for wanting to include a directory into the site is for SEO purposes. In other words, this specific niche has a lot of locally operating businesses associated with it, in addition to being able to buy these services online. I initially intended to create thousands of geo specific landing pages for this site, but then I would be running into a thin content problem since I really don't have content at that granular of a level to write about.

So I was thinking if I could at least somehow scrape something like the YellowPages and pull in local business listings by location, along with some carefully spun content with the geo specific keyword phrases littered throughout it, that would at least be a start.

I've seen several programs such as LocalScraper which can supposedly pull all this data from sources such as Google Maps or Yellow Pages or Manta, but I am wondering if any of you know of any better means?

How did you initially populate your directories? Or did you launch them completely empty and wait for others to sign up?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

The only case in which I think it might be appropriate to launch an empty directory would be if it contained other useful content on every page. In fact, I have been playing around with the idea of starting a directory and trying to get it indexed before I add any sites at all, based on other content that would be in each category.