1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

How Affordable are Web Directory Editors?

Discussion in 'Directory Operation' started by Ray, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Ray Active Member

Ray

For a while now, I've been considering getting some help from an experienced web directory editor, some one that can add and edit listings to my directories, so that I can focus on promoting and maintaining these directories.

I've somehow convinced myself a while back that, it was not something I could easily afford but, the truth is, I have no idea as to what kind of compensations is involved in hiring somebody like that.

Are they paid by the listing, by the hour, or by some sort of block-price?
    Is there some sort of "editor's guild" that you go to?

I'm sure @Converse can provide some answers on this.

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I've worked for a few directories. Some pay by the edit, even so far as setting payments by the type of edit (site adds, category adds, modifications, see also links, etc.), with some worth more than others. Others pay only for adds, and conscientious editors will still fix other problems as they come across them, while others will do only what they are paid for. My wife and I met at DMOZ and we have been working for the same directory for about seven years now, being paid per hour and, although the per hour rate hasn't changed since we were hired, the number of hours we're allowed to work changes from time to time, ranging from 30 to 50 hours a week. Due to confidentiality agreements, I don't feel comfortable discussing prices, however. Once you've figured out what you want to do, and how, I could probably find an editor for you.

3. Ray Active Member

Ray

I opened this thread hoping to find out more about the actual processes involved in hiring an editor. I understand and respect confidentiality but, price would be the determining factor as to the "what" and the "how", and even the "if" is something doable.

4. Converse Active Member

Converse

For most of the jobs that I have had, I was recruited by people who knew me from DMOZ or from other directories. I have also recruited people to work for directories that had more work than I could do alone. You'll find an ad on my reviews site that offers such a thing.

5. xTinx New Member

xTinx

It's hard to gauge affordability because different people have different sets of values. What is affordable for one may not always be affordable for another. I do think that the Internet offers several choices. There are as many directories as your budget allows.

6. Jason76 Member

Jason76

You can probably find someone on DigitalPoint Forum, Fiverr, Freelancer.com for a decent price. However, be careful and check the itrader on Digital Point. For the other marketplaces find some way to do a backround check. Make sure the buyer has a positive relationship with buyers.