1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Have you submitted your site for review by DMOZ?

Discussion in 'Directory Reviews' started by KenBrace, Feb 23, 2015.

1. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I have heard it said that the moderators/review team for DMOZ is extremely critical and it is rare to get approved.

So have you submitted your site to their directory?

If so, how did it go? Accepted or denied?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

Having been a meta editor there, and I don't believe it's changed that much, I'd say no, they are not extremely critical. The thing that prevents sites from being reviewed and added to the directory are that:
    • It's a volunteer project so editors tend to edit only those categories they are interested in, which means that several parts of the directory are without a dedicated editor. Some parts of the directory are active, others are not.
    • Also because it's a volunteer project, there is the problem that today's economy doesn't allow as many people to work as many hours without pay, as before. DMOZ is massive, and some parts of the directory haven't been touched in as many as seven years.
    • Editors don't work for site submitters, so when they are working at adding sites to a category, most would prefer to search for sites, adding those that they wish.
    • Editors don't like working the submission queue, and will do so only when begged to do so by staff or higher-level editors. A large percentage of submitted sites are crap, or have been submitted to the wrong categories, with a lot of hype rather than objective titles and descriptions.
    • Since editors like to compete for the largest number of edits, there is a tendency to cherry-pick those submitted sites that are good sites, have been submitted to the correct category, and have submitted titles and descriptions that don't require a great deal of modification.
    It is always a good idea to submit your site to DMOZ. However, do your best to submit it to the most appropriate category, and to submit it with titles and descriptions that meet the directory's guidelines, absent hype or unnecessary keywords.

In answer to your question, I have some very good sites that have been sitting in the submission queue for three years now. On the other hand, I have had other sites picked up by editors and added without my having to submit them.

3. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Interesting. Didn't know that about DMOZ. Thanks for the info!

I think I did a pretty good job with mine. I tried to provide a very concise and informative description and I found what I believed to be the best category for my niche.

Wow. Three years is a long time. I submitted my site about a month ago. It's related to philosophy & science. Do you know if that category is actively reviewed?

4. xTinx New Member

xTinx

I don't know why DMOZ makes a big deal out of it. I saw its listings and surprisingly, a competitor of ours that ranks high in the SERPS wasn't (and still isn't) listed at DMOZ. It got me wondering for some time whether or not I should proceed to list our website there. Since I saw no harm in trying, I did so. I haven't heard any progress to this day. Nevertheless, our ranking went up notches. So everyone can manage to increase their site's reputation sans DMOZ.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  5. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

If they accept your site and get it listed in the directory how will you be notified? By email?

I have a feeling that my site will be on hold their forever. The directory is just too large I guess.

Good way to get spiders to crawl your site and get higher listings if you are accepted into the directory though.

6. Converse Active Member

Converse

No notifications are made, whether the site is accepted or rejected. At some point, you will either notice that it has been added, or you won't. My recommendation is to submit it, following their guidelines to the best of your abilities, and then forget it. You may get a DMOZ listing out of it, or you won't.

7. xTinx New Member

xTinx

Besides, DMOZ isn't the be-all and end-all of SEO. It's just one way to increase your PR but that's not the only way there is. Even if you register at DMOZ, if you only have a few back links and your off-page SEO isn't going well, then a DMOZ listing won't even make a difference.

8. Converse Active Member

Converse

Google isn't updating its public PageRank any longer, although they are no doubt using something similar internally.

9. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Do you know if the religion & spirituality section of DMOZ still has active editors?

That was the category I submitted my site under.

I highly doubt it will ever get accepted.

10. Converse Active Member

Converse

There is an editor dedicated to that category, someone who I remember well from my days at the ODP (DMOZ), but I don't how active he is anymore, since I haven't been there in years. That's an awfully large category, though. Where there is an editor dedicated to a category, a link to that editor's profile is on the bottom of the page. There is a contact form on the page but some editors dislike being nagged about submitted sites so I don't know if that's a good idea. When I was an editor, I would generally take a look at the submission queue if someone wrote me about it, but others will not, and I can't speak for them.

11. Rainman New Member

Rainman

Your site has been in the queue for 3 years! Having waited a year and the site I submitted still yet to be listed, I thought I'd waited for an eternity. Rumors I'd heard six or so months ago had me convinced me that DMOZ was dead. Those spreading the rumor I believe don't know how DMOZ editors work and when their sites weren't listed they just made the assumption that if their sites hadn't been listed then probably, DMOZ was dead.

But if there's a possibility [remote though it might be] that my site might still get listed, I'll embrace patience.

12. jblogger New Member

jblogger

Wow, 3 years and still waiting in queue. @Converse do you think there's still a chance for any of those sites to be reviewed? Because that's a very long wait. Haven't you tried resubmitting them tweaking your title and description to see if that way some editor actually picks your site for review?

13. toradrake Member

toradrake

Yeah, I sent mine in to be reviewed and it was rejected. I'm in over 100 search engines, even Google and Bing. Everything is in top shape with my sites and when I selected the category for them, I was very cautious in my selection... yet I was still rejected. I am about to resubmit.

14. Converse Active Member

Converse

When you say that you were rejected, are you saying that you received an email from someone at DMOZ telling you that your submission was declined, or are you assuming that it was rejected because it's still not in the directory?

It is not their practice to notify submitters whether a submission has been accepted or declined. As an editor, I did that a few times, but only when there was one specific reason why the site was not eligible for listing; if it was a good site otherwise, I might send an email telling them what they needed to fix, but I seldom did that.

I would be cautious about resubmitting because that is a good way to get negative editor notes on your domain within DMOZ. The main reason why sites are not added to DMOZ is that no one ever gets around to reviewing them. Otherwise, any reasonably useful site is eligible for listing.

There are categories that have not been reviewed in as much as seven years. Eventually, someone will work the submission queue in that area and when one site is seen as having been submitted multiple times, it is more likely that it will be declined, as spam, than that it will be added due to resubmissions. Their submission guidelines specify that a site is to be submitted only once.

There are a few common reasons why a useful site might sit in the queue for years without being added:
    1. It is entirely possible that no one has looked at the submission queue for that category in years.
    2. When someone does look at the submission queue, they often begin by rejecting any sites that have been submitted more than once, considering them to be spam, or by automatically rejecting sites whose domains have negative editor notes.
    3. The site has been submitted to the wrong category. A site won't necessarily be rejected for that reason but editors often like to cherry pick sites that don't require a lot of work, and they may not be in the mood to look for a more appropriate category.
    4. The title or description submitted for the site requires a complete rewording, resulting in the problem that some editors will go through the queue looking only for those sites that require the least amount of work on their part.
    There are many areas of the directory that have not been modified in more than seven years, so #1 is the most likely reason.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  15. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

From what I know DMOZ itself isn't dead but certain places of it are. Many, many categories seem to be dead and in need of an editor.

I'm not an expert in the matter but it seems to be like DMOZ has three things working against it in terms of wanting to submit your site there.

First off many of the categories aren't edited and your site will be on hold forever.

Second thing is that the directory is so ridiculously huge that it has become too large. It's hard to find relevant content there because there are so many categories under categories under categories. Your website ends up in a tiny little sub category, buried in a huge pile of content.

Last thing is that it looks ancient. The directory was designed a long time ago and hasn't upgraded its look. It doesn't look pleasing to the eye at all.

Rainman likes this.
  16. Converse Active Member

Converse

The upside of that, from a site owner's perspective, is that, if listed, your site will be on a page that is relevant to its content, which is what Google is particularly interested in when it comes to backlinks.

Eventually, they probably will. When I was there, every so often staff would try to cajole as many editalls and meta editors as possible to work the submission queues, particularly the ones that don't have active editors. While no one would be required to do this, we would spend at least a bit of time there, trying to weed the queues down. As I mentioned elsewhere though, we'd begin my dumping the ones that had been submitted multiple times, or others that looked like spam, and the first ones to be added were those that (1) were submitted to an appropriate category; (2) used the actual site title as a title; and (3) used a description that didn't need to be changed much.

The submission queue is huge, so no one would ever expect anyone to empty it. For this reason, good sites might be left behind simply because they required more work on the part of the editor. Maybe they'd be reviewed during the next push but, for the same reasons, they were apt to be left behind then too.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  17. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

True. But sometimes a site doesn't have such a narrow focus. The forum I submitted to DMOZ for example is geared towards philosophy, science, religion, etc. I ended up placing it under Society > Religion & Spirituality > Pantheism. But that is honestly a bad place for it. It's not a pantheist site. It's not a philosophy of science site. It's not a molecular biology site. You see all of these categories are too narrow. The focus is philosophy & esoteric truth. I picked pantheism since that is the closest thing to my worldview and sort of the direction that the forum is going but that's such a limited statement to say that my site is a forum for pantheism. This is the downfall of such narrow categories.

18. Converse Active Member

Converse

Sites whose topics are general may be placed in general categories. In a well organized directory, editors will seek the deepest category that would be relevant to the site, as that would be a more specific category.

To use an example that is often used in web directory discussions, let's imagine the following category tree:

Businesses
    - Products
    -- Widgets
    --- Blue Widgets
    --- Green Widgets
    --- Red Widgets

If I owned a company that produced red widgets and red widgets alone, then my company's site would be placed in the Red Widgets subcategory. However, if my company produced all colors of widgets, then it would be placed in the parent category -- Widgets.

If widgets were only part of what I produced, and my company produced a wide variety of products, then it would appropriately be placed directory beneath the Products category.

Not everything is so cut and dried, though. Let's say if I mostly produced red widgets, but also produced a small amount of blue widgets by special order, the editor would look at the site and make an individual determination. Since the site description describes the site rather than the company, if my site mostly talked about red widgets, that being my flagship product, my site might still be placed in the Red Widgets category.

On the other hand, if my company did so many different things that the reviewing editor was unable to figure out what its primary purpose was, he might elect not to list it at all. That sounds bad, I suppose, but that is something that I do frequently while seeding directory categories.

Let's say I am looking for sites to put in the Podunk, Iowa category. My objective is not to list every conceivable site for Podunk but to list only some of the better ones, which adds value to the category, but also encourages other businesses and webmasters to submit their own Podunk sites.

If I pop up a site for a business that doesn't make any sense to me, as long as I have plenty of other sites to turn to, I don't waste my time trying to figure what it's all about; I just choose another site. For some reason, many businesses will have websites that don't really say what it is that they do for a living, saying instead that they "provide solutions for" one industry or another.

Likewise, I see this a lot with church sites. When there are enough church sites to warrant it, they are sub-categorized by denomination, which would generally include a subcategory for non-denominational. However, many churches, for some strange reason, won't divulge their affiliations or even state that they are not affiliated. In these cases, I'll generally choose sites that are more direct.

Obviously, when a site is being submitted with payment of a submission fee, I would spend more time trying to figure out what the hell it's about, but even then it's frustrating. Why would you have a business if you can't tell anyone what business you are in, or why have a website for your church if you don't know what it is that you believe? There are many, many non-denominational churches, and that's fine, but I have learned that it is not accurate to assume that a church is non-denominational just because its site doesn't declare its affiliations or associations.

Since DMOZ is powered by volunteers, and no one is being paid to review your site, if the proper categorization of your site is too difficult to determine, the reviewing editor is likely to leave it in the queue. If he chooses a category that a higher ranking editor believes to be incorrect, he has a strike against him. If he chooses to list a site in a general category that a higher level editor thinks would more appropriately have been listed in a deeper category, he might come under suspicion of having been paid off by the site owner or otherwise being corrupt. Editors are removed for that all the time, and it's not always clear that they were guilty.

When that happens, the editor just loses his login. There's no appeal, or even an opportunity to make a defense. The response to a confusing submission is often to leave it sit, since no one will be called to task for that.

Rainman likes this.
  19. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I understand this and it's what I tried to do when I submitted my site to DMOZ. They didn't let me submit it under Religion & Spirituality though. The site said it was too vague of a category and that I had to pick something more specific.

What you are describing would be the best option in my opinion. I guess it's just that DMOZ is so large that they can't have a site only 2 categories deep.

20. toradrake Member

toradrake

I received an email actually. It was weird because I have submitted sites before and did not receive a email before, this time I did. Oh well... I wont resubmit after all. I am not that concerned on getting into DMoz, I'm already in the SE's and I have other directories I plan to submit to.