1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Forum Directory Forum - Good idea?

Discussion in 'Directory Submissions' started by KenBrace, Mar 5, 2015.

1. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I've recently been considering the creation of a forum/directory for forums.

Basically people could go there and post a topic about their site. It's like a directory except there is no wait time for submission and it's completely free. And it looks like a forum.

There could also be a sub forum for people to discuss their sites. The main area would be the categories for submitted sites though.

It would also be for forums only. A forum directory forum. :D

So far I haven't seen anything like this. I did a google search and only found standard looking forum directories.

Would this be a good idea do you think?

Does it have much of a chance for success?

Any advise is appreciated.

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

For the number of forums there are, there aren't very many forum directories. Whether that would translate into success would probably depend on what you did with it. Although I can understand that it would be a directory, of sorts, and even appreciate the appropriateness of using a forum format to host it, I am not sure if what you are proposing is a directory or a forum promotion forum, of which there are several.

3. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I would allow one thread per forum. You can post a thread about your site with a link and a description (as long as you want). This would be similar to a directory listing. But a bonus would be that folks can also post on that thread and give feedback. It would be forum promotion obviously since it's a directory (in its own right) but it wouldn't be geared towards promotion of forums like a webmaster forum.

4. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Ok so after mulling it over for a while I decided to shoot for it. If it fails then it fails. No harm done. If it's a success then great! I haven't seen anything quite like it before so it has potential I think. We'll just have to see where it goes.

I decided to call the place "Forum Chest". I think it sounds snappy and original (plus the domain was available).

You can view the site here: http://forumchest.com

Let me know what you all think. Does it look good? Need work in some area? I still need to create the logo. Right now I just have an image of a chest up there. Official logo will be coming soon.

You are all welcome to list any sites you own in the directory. It's practically empty at the moment but there's always the first in every new site. :)

5. Converse Active Member

Converse

That's a nice use of orange, and I rarely see a nice use of orange.

KenBrace likes this.
  6. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Thanks! Yeah I wanted to make it look unique and I figured the gold/orange theme would match the treasure chest. I'm calling if "Forum Chest" so I want it to feel kind of like you're inside a chest filled with collection of forums. :D

7. Converse Active Member

Converse

I think it works.

KenBrace likes this.
  8. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Good to know. :)

This forum has somewhat sparked an interest in directories for me. I don't know how it's possible considering the amount of time I've spent running websites and using the internet, but before I came here I had never even heard of a web directory. I had no idea what it was. However the discussions here were interesting so I did a bit of research and started to post some my questions, complaints, etc. Next thing I know I'm opening up a directory myself one week later. That was quick. :cool:

I've learned a lot of new stuff this past week.

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

I think it is an interesting concept. I would never have thought of it. What gave you the idea?

10. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Not sure. I just had the thought "I wonder if there are any forum directories?". So I looked it up and only found a few that didn't look too great. Then I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to have a more open, community oriented directory that looks like a forum? Sort of like a forum that's a library?". So with those two ideas combined I came up with this.

11. JeanBrian Member

JeanBrian

You can post a thread about your site with a link and a description (as long as you want). This would be similar to a directory listing.