1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

End of the Keyword Era

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by toradrake, Nov 19, 2014.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

I do know that Google has been showing a lot more graphical ads on my AdSense blocks than they used to, but I've been blaming that on the reduction in income.

3. midnightblur New Member

midnightblur

I think keywords is the key of search, so "keyword era" is never end :)

Converse likes this.
  4. Billy New Member

Billy

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't about search, this is about using Google AdWords.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

In a way, it is about both. Keywords touch on both areas. Keywords are used for seekers to find sites and for sites to be seen. They were also used for the placement of Ad-sense areas. Certain keywords would bring up certain ad's. Also Google chose what ad's showed on which sites based on their keywords for relevancy.

6. Converse Active Member

Converse

But you're right, it's mostly about AdWords.

7. xTinx New Member

xTinx

I don't think so but the current Google trend is trying to eliminate "keyword stuffing" - a common pitfall in the SEO world. Search engines give more priority to pages with high consistency as well as keyword density. This is just my take and others may have a different opinion. Since search engines are volatile and ambivalent and it can be a hassle to track down millions of websites all over the world, parallelism is the name of the game. Stuffing only adds up to the confusion.

8. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

Keyword stuffing has been addressed by Google for some time now. It's very easy to trigger the over-optimization filter from what I've experienced. This is why it's so important to get your on-page SEO right before moving on to off-page SEO. Anyway, this topic is about AdWords. Keywords are still important when creating content.

9. Mockingbird New Member

Mockingbird

I can't imagine AdWords becoming obsolete, this business model has existed in one form or another for almost two decades or more now, at the end of the day it will always boil down to how to generate advertising contracts. Before key word click thru became king it was all about getting cheap impressions and guess what, it didn't mean squat if at the end of the day your ROI didn't generate any additional sales. In the advertising game it is still about homing in on that niche demographic and the best way to qualify a potential action is by being seen as relevant as possible to what ever it is you are trying to capture.

That being said, that's a pretty double edged sword because if your in the game strictly to generate advertising income how do you remain sticky enough to grow your traffic? I have seen sites go a couple different ways on this point and really it does seem at the end of the day content is still the king. Many old school methods still are just as effective as SEO and optimization when your just starting up. Stick with the tried and true and tweek out your ads for the cash when you get your traffic to a very healthy level. It takes time.

10. Converse Active Member

Converse

I agree. Most of the requests for help that I have received have been from people who want to rank highly on sites whose content is insufficient to sustain a high ranking if they were able to trick the search engines into giving it to them. Content may not be everything, but it's pretty darned close, assuming that the content has been optimized so that search engine spiders (and humans) can figure out what each page is about.

I reviewed sites submitted to web directories whose topics I couldn't figure out even close enough to determine an appropriate category, and I'm talking about businesses sites whose content ramble on about blah, blah, blah solutions, and other garble that does little to let anyone know just wha the hell it is that they do for a living. If people can't figure it out, good luck with the search engine algorithms.

My AdSense links do better when they display text ads than with the graphic ones, and I did better when Google restricted the context to that of my web page rather than (as now) to other things that the visitor has searched for, etc.

11. Scorp Member

Scorp

The keyword era cannot end. How could it? You go to the search engine and insert your keyword/s for your search, the search engines need to use those keywords to give you what you want, simple as that.

However, keyword stuffing is a different story. But anyone who knows anything about SEO will know that the best keyword density on a page is 3-5%, or whatever any SEO Guru tells it to be. You know, it depends, some will say the optimal keyword density is 2-3%, it just depends who you choose to believe.

Now, there is one little detail here though. Anyone who has their own self-hosted blog surely know about the Yoast's SEO plugin, which is an absolutely awesome tool. And this plugin has a tool that checks for keyword density of your article before you publish it, and it works great.

BUT, Yoast's plugin does not check the keyword density of your Page, only of the content in your Article. So for example it won't include the keyword that you added in your Post's title, and maybe that keyword is also included somewhere in the sidebar, plus maybe in the H1 tag which you keep static for the entire blog, as opposed to using your Post's title as your H1 tag. So you can end up with a higher keyword density than what you thought you had, and get into trouble with Google.

That's why make it a habit to check your post's keyword density with some other tool After posting your article, a tool that checks the Entire page, not just the content of the article.

And something that everybody has accepted about the keyword meta tag, which has supposedly become obsolete. Well, it's only obsolete if you believe what Google tells you. And also, Google is not the only search engine out there, and some still do take the keyword tags into consideration, so I still use the keyword meta tag a little bit...

12. Converse Active Member

Converse

I have recently quit using meta keywords. If I had only one site, I suppose I'd use them in the off-chance that it would do me some good somewhere but, with a lot of sites, the amount of time that it takes to set keywords for each page doesn't seem to be justified by the return. So, somewhat reluctantly, I quit doing them.

13. CyberGal New Member

CyberGal

I think that keywords are still going to be important but it's going to matter what is really going on with your traffic and where you're getting it from. If you're mainly depending upon traffic from sites like FaceBook, then I don't think that keywords are so important. However, whenever it comes to the search engines I doubt we're ever going to see them not look at what keywords you're using. I don't understand how else they would be able to index a bunch of sites all based on the same topic, they have to have some type of criteria and keywords are the best there is.

14. Jason76 Member

Jason76

A website with a lot of social sharing and quality content will probably rank the highest even against sites with good keyphrase density, as well as good url and title keyphrase density. Bottom line the search engines have turned against exact match domains and similar phenomenon.

15. OhioTom76 New Member

OhioTom76

I don't see keyword based SEO or SEM going away entirely for several reasons. Yes, keywords are near and dear to any person who has been working in these industries for the past 15+ years now, and they've been our bread and butter too in many cases. But ad delivery is mainly broken down into two instances - either a user explicitly performs a search on a keyword phrase, or the ad networks try to preemptively deliver you specific ads based on the content of the pages you are viewing, your browsing history, whether you've visited the advertiser(s) site(s) before, etc...

There's a growing amount of demographic data, user browsing history data and other passive data about visitors available to advertisers these days, so we don't need to solely rely on a person's search queries to discern their intent and interests like we did so heavily in the past. Target got into some hot water for this a few years ago, for being a little *too good* at guessing their customer's shopping habits based on their other activities - when they sent a young woman coupons for baby stuff, before she had even announced to anyone that she was pregnant. Apparently her shopping habits that they were tracking raised flags with their marketing team that she was likely expecting, and she got put into that marketing "bucket".

User's explicit search activity is only one thing, part of a larger set of data we have about them these days - so perhaps there will be less emphasis on it, but I don't think it should entirely be eliminated.

The other issue with so much emphasis on keywords is that I can only imagine this has become a logistical nightmare for Google and their AdWords platform. For many years now, lots of SEM companies and bid management platforms have been pushing for extreme account expansions, pushing advertisers to flood their PPC campaigns with millions of exact match keywords as some supposed means of gaining more efficiency in their ad spend. In reality, what they were mainly focused on was giving the impression that "bigger is better" and more importantly, making advertisers dependent on their bid management tools, because otherwise it's impossible for an individual to manage all those keywords by hand. I've seen some instances where companies had to have multiple Google AdWords accounts, because they were literally maxing out the total number of keywords they could have in an entire *account*. Pushing the AdWords accounts to the limit like this has got to be a headache for Google, and not very sustainable for them either, so I could see why they would want to try and steer advertisers away from this, by somewhat getting rid of true Exact Match and hiding keyword level data at that level.

I don't really get why the author was citing PLA ads though as part of the demise of keywords - the PLA ads on AdWords are driven by keyword searches themselves in many cases. You have to be careful with some of these internet marketing writers - they will sometimes get too caught up in their own word salads, that they just throw trendy phrases into their articles without having a real working knowledge of what they mean.

Converse likes this.
  16. micheljanet New Member

micheljanet

I think keywords is the key of search.....

17. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

It is more on how keyword/s has been optimized on the site.
    The thing with keyword/s is that it should be clearly defined to the search engines as well as the audience what the site is all about.

18. 111kg New Member

111kg

It's 2016 and keyword optimization is still done with positive results. Truth is, behind every article that claims things like this, there are people looking forward to going viral and not necessarily to giving away the truth.