1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Do you use the same site description for each directory submission?

Discussion in 'Directory Submissions' started by CallieJo, Jan 30, 2015.

1. CallieJo New Member

CallieJo

If you are using the same site description for each directory submission you make, you might want to rethink your strategies.

Sure its easier to copy and paste the same information to each directory. Who wouldn't want to take the quick and easy route?

The problem is the duplicate content you are spreading around. If you submit the same site description to each web directory you are creating duplicate content in each of those directories.

The search engines do not like duplicate content. And the last thing you want to do is to create a negative flag everywhere your website is listed. You don't want to kill your submission efforts!

How can you avoid this problem?

Well, you can get creative and write up about 10 or more different descriptions for your website. Think about what would entice you, yourself, to click on your website if you were browsing through the directory. And remember all the hype descriptions you avoid clicking on. This will help you stay away from words that look spammy.

If you are concerned about keywords, make a list and only use one keyword per submission. This will help you describe your website in a different way each time you submit it to a directory.

What other things can you do to make your directory submissions different?

Converse likes this.
  2. Converse Active Member

Converse

That's very good advice, and it's not as easy as it sounds, after you have submitted your site to several directories. When I am reviewing directories for my directory of directories, or for my review site, whenever I can afford it, I'll submit one of my sites, and I am always pleased when the directory staff edits my description, since so many of them do not, especially if the description is well written. Even when I believe that the one that I submitted was better, when an editor modifies it, this speaks well of the directory since it is not on autopilot, and someone who has not already submitted the same site to two dozen directories can often come up with a unique description that had escaped me.

Given that it's generally a good thing to have some link diversity, I like to take advantage of the few directories that allow something other than the site's actual title, not to substitute keywords or spam for a title but to get some anchor text that is slightly different than the usual. For example, when submitting my "Web Directory Reviews Org" site, I might just use "Web Directory Reviews," or I might use "Internet Directory Reviews" or "Online Directory Reviews," etc.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

I try not to use the same site description, or page in some instances, when submitting my site. I try to center on what the category is and write the description and use the url page that is relevant to that category.

4. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

In my experience, the websites of today do not fall in just one single category. As such, a good idea is to identify the different categories it can be placed under - something similar to the different Keyword Approach you recommend. The advantage of placing your site in the different applicable categories not only shows that you provide different things on your website, it also helps in crafting a different description with different keywords. This approach can also help you get listed in more directories - for instance, if one allows you to submit a site for Pet Supplies, another might allow you to submit your site under the Pet Care or even Pet Adoption. With every such varied submission, you can also create a different niche for your site.

I think my response can make it a little simpler for many sites if not all :)

5. xTinx New Member

xTinx

I used to do this in the past, but the repetitive words make the description look spammy. I limit my repetition to two to three directories and then create brief but succinct content for every two to three directories thereafter.