1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Do You know of Unconvential Ways To Drive Traffic?

Discussion in 'Website Marketing' started by toradrake, Feb 20, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

We all know of the conventional ways to drive traffic to sites; SEO, Link Building, Directories, Social Media.... etc. But there are unconventional ways of driving traffic also. Do you know of any and how does it work?

2. Ray Active Member

Ray

Yeah, you arm yourself with a wood stick, or as its call in the business... "a 2 x 4", make sure you properly drive a big nail, all the way through on one of the ends. Then wait for anybody that comes near and hit them on the back of their head, and tell them "visit my site, or I'll give you another".

If that's not unconventional, I don't know what is. :rolleyes:

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

Have business cards made up and post them in laundromats, grocery stores, restaurants, libraries, and anywhere else where you can find a public bulletin board. I've mentioned it elsewhere and, although it's old-school, it's unconventional as far as online marketing goes, and it does work. You won't get hundreds of visits a day from it, but the people who bother to take your card are more likely to be interested than the ones who click on your link in Google SERPs.

4. jblogger New Member

jblogger

Leaving lost business cards sounds like an odd way of driving traffic. If you ever decide to do something like this don't just put your URL on the card but also place a QR code so people with smartphones would be able to visit the site more easily.

5. Converse Active Member

Converse

I'm not sure what you mean by "lost business cards."

6. toradrake Member

toradrake

LOL @Converse and @jblogger

@Ray, you scare me dude... LOL

@Converse, I use those same methods too. You forgot to mention that those who get your business card (or flyers if you use those) pass it along to others who might be interested if they like your site.

7. jblogger New Member

jblogger

@Converse I think I didn't get your idea the way you meant too. Once I saw a blog post about a sneaky way of driving traffic to a CPA offer but I can't find the link to show it here. A guy would print a one dollar bill on one side and on the other it would be a link to the CPA offer. It was kind of fun because people would pick that piece of paper up thinking it was real money but instead it would be just a regular piece of paper. I thought you where talking about something like that but now I realize you said just to leave a business card on a place where you can do that.

8. toradrake Member

toradrake

Shoot.... I was hoping the confusion would drag on for a second. I actually understood what you both were talking about and that is why I was laughing. I read the same thing jblogger. Of course... that is a bit of an underhanded way of advertising, it is not exactly immoral. LOL

9. Ray Active Member

Ray

What...? It works for debt collectors... in some countries :D LOL

Actually, my next suggestion is to have car-door magnetic signs made, (2, one for each side), like the ones real estate people and contractors use, and put them on your car. So even when you're parked at home, you'll still be advertising your site. Along the same lines, you could have window decals, or even bumper stickers made for this.

Or, you could give my original suggestion a try. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  10. Converse Active Member

Converse

Mostly, yes. Although I sometimes leave a card display at Chambers of Commerce buildings, where I am not a member. Having been a member of our local Chamber of Commerce, I know that no one really knows what is supposed to be there or not. Not knowing whether or not every Chamber does things the same as our local Chambers of Commerce do, let me clarify that they have an information building where Chamber members display their advertising brochures, business cards, and other stuff. In most cases, the display area is supposed to be reserved for Chamber members but most members never attend meetings so it would be rare for someone to see a business card holder of cards, and realize that that business is not a member, and even less likely that they'd even notice. When I am looking for site creation business, I will sometimes sneak a display into a Chamber building, spend some time looking through the brochures, and then surreptitiously leave my own on the table.

11. Rainman New Member

Rainman

I don't know if we are meant to focus more on unconventional ways to get traffic "off-line." What about suing Google or some other company for something stupid? Maybe the search engine didn't return the results you wanted and you decide to . . .

This one isn't all that original but I've heard that it works. Conventional, unconventional? Create controversial content and post a link somewhere. Everyone, bloggers, readers, etc will want to read the article.

12. xTinx New Member

xTinx

How about launching a promo or contest both online and offline with the end goal of driving more online traffic and diversifying your traffic sources? Sometimes, if you think too hard about being unconventional, you actually end up getting lost in translation. Just do the conventional ones first and I'm sure down the line something creative will pop out.

13. Scorp Member

Scorp

hahaha I literally just watched a video, here's what you could do...

So you just take a sign, and stand in a very crowded place (preferably with internet available) and see how it goes...

Or, if you don't wanna stand around with a sign, then just make a little sign or something and set it in a place where it can be seen, and write some impressive stuff on it, you know, something that will intrigue people enough for them to actually type your URL in their web browser and visit your site.

14. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

Making flyer or business cards like everyone else is saying. If you have a website that you can tell people to come and check it out online. I mean it might not drive a ton of traffic, but it might drive some to your page. And I also think that the business cards would be a good idea. Like everyone else was saying, if you leave them around then I'm sure that someone will pick them out. Or if you tack them somewhere people will see them. Just place then anywhere you would look, and I'm sure you will find that people are taking them.

15. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

I doubt there is such thing as unconventional, but there are strategies you can do offline that seem to be effective.
    Yes, flyers would be a good idea, and also stickers and pins. You can invest in it for a small amount, and I'm sure it will have a positive impact not only on your site traffic but also on your business.

16. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

That is a pretty good way to put it. I never thought of stickers and pins, but I'm sure that those would all work well. That might be a good idea for people who are willing to spend some money in order to get traffic on their site. If you invest a small amount like you said then some people might see more traffic coming to their site. I think that those are good ideas.

17. maverick New Member

maverick

Yes, if you think this is unconventional: HitLeap. HitLeap is basically an exchanger of traffic. With a program that the site's owner provide you, you are able to earn coins that you will eventually exchange for some minutes of traffic that the user will spend on your site that you'll decide to post there. It's not really genuine traffic but still if you just need some numbers that is a good method.