1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Do you do graphic design or hire out?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design' started by greatnate, Oct 30, 2014.

1. greatnate New Member

greatnate

Working online actually led me to my current career. When I was a teen I was very into web development and figuring out how to build what I wanted. I started using various art programs to create what I wanted and it led me to go to school for design. A lot of people I've talked to have had a similar path.

Do you generally create your own design assets or do you hire a designer for it? There are definitely pluses and minuses to both.

2. jdroc New Member

jdroc

I would hire out if I could afford it, because it takes so much of my time. I've been learning to use Pixelmator for Macs. Even though I'm getting better, I hate the learning curve. It took me a couple of hours to remove the background and put clouds and the sun on one pic. Very frustrating. However, I do get a great sense of accomplishment when I figure out problems on my own. I will be outsourcing as soon as possible though.

3. SadieMarie New Member

SadieMarie

For me I normally design everything myself. Sometimes I hire out. Graphic design is really enjoyable to me even though I wouldn't consider myself an expert. So I typically do most of the graphic design work myself these days.

4. toradrake Member

toradrake

I agree with @jdroc in that graphic designing takes up extra time that could be used to complete the overall design of the site. I usually hire out for those types of task. Not to mention, when you hire out your giving someone else out there a job and with the way things are right now... everyone could use the work.

5. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

If I do my own designs, I would fail big time. I'm just so terrible at it. I've always outsourced this stuff, mostly logos and landing pages.

6. xTinx New Member

xTinx

I actually do graphic design on my own. I'm not that adept at it but simple graphics tasks like creating a Pinterest pin, a picture quote and a simple advertising picture and making a picture collage are relatively easy to handle. Hiring out will cost me a fortune. My brother's a graphic artist/web designer so rather than hiring out, I ask for his assistance.

7. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

Actually, it doesn't cost a fortune. Of course, this will vary according to your needs. I usually hire from freelancing sites and graphic designers I find in different forums. For a logo, I typically spend $10-$25. For landing pages, it's a little bit more expensive. It's all about finding the best deal for your money.

8. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

I try to do graphics, but I am not that creative, so I do hire freelancers to do some graphics work for me, but not development work, that I can do on my own with some google help ;)

9. jade870 New Member

jade870

I think I would rather hire somebody to do my graphic designing on my web pages or whatever I am working on. It’s true it might be a little more expensive but I would want a quality design done and it look professional. I am personally not to advanced in graphic designing, I suppose there are a great deal of people that find it fun. But with my extremely busy schedule I have no time to try to do this on my own.

10. ducklord Member

ducklord

I do my designs, I do the HTML and CSS, but I still fumble when I need to build the "logic", the "functions" of a site, in PHP and JavaScript.

Ah, well... Sometime I'll find the time needed for those, too... :-D

11. jblogger New Member

jblogger

I do my designs aswell. That's kind of hard for me because I'm not a designer. I only use HTML and CSS. I'm trying to learn to use design tools like Photoshop and Illustrator so I can mess around with logo design and stuff like that but so far I'm a total noob. Design is something I like to be good at so I can make better looking sites.

If I needed something with a more professional look I would hire someone, but I haven't needed yet so that's why I do my own designs.

12. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

Designs and me :D We are always opposite banks of a river. I realized years ago (even before starting my career as a web developer) that I am not any creative - at least when it comes to designs. This has been my biggest limitation. Not that I did not try - I joined a 3 month long course for Designing Using Photoshop way back when 7 was around and I wasted my money and time. The only thing I gained was - okay I can do this or that. But sooner I realized I don't have that Creative Sense. Some years back I also tried doing Brochures, Visiting Cards (sans the Logos) and thought it was easier (only until I started doing that :eek:).

Today, I am dead sure, no one can help me get any creative with designs. Colors is another section. I am worst at understanding them. Friends suggested I use Kuler and Color Wheel Applications but I can not get a clue on what colors should be selected.

So here is my policy - I ask about preferences of colors to my clients (some of them do understand my limitations :)). Some others who have been with me for a while now, always ensure they send me designs done by anyone else - maybe their in-house designers or anyone hired for the specific entity in question and I do the rest.

And then, lastly, there are some requests occasionally where I do need to hire a designer. I have a local friend who does them for me, but then, as he is full time employed by another Organization and also picks up too many tasks from freelancing sites, I cannot rely on him. This is one reason, I always ignore requests that combine the "Do the Design Mockup and Deliver me the Website".

13. ducklord Member

ducklord

@SimplySidy I don't get how you say you were unable to use a color wheel solution. I mean, man, you set one primary colors and it gives you two others! You don't have to select "other colors" - those three are your colors, the ones you'll use in your design for secondary elements! White or black for your main page, the color you set as primary on your wheel as your "base" color for everything, the other two for secondary elements (like buttons, lines, borders and stuff)!

Maaaaaybe you're just overthinking about it! Maybe you're already a good (or even a great) designer and you don't even know it! You sound more afraid of your own abilities and knowledge than "ignorant" or "unable" to design a site! :)

SimplySidy likes this.
  14. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

Or maybe I am color blind GRRR!!!!! :D

Seriously, I never get the idea. The suggested colors are okay, but which one to use where - that makes me go insane. Maybe there is a trick I should follow - just that I havent decoded that trick yet. I liked the Kuler App a lot as it almost always has a set of 5 colors. But then, again, which one to use for what - that is the part where I get stuck.

15. ducklord Member

ducklord

@SimplySidy Well, I'll "show" you stuff like that as we're working on some common projects, but the gist is this:

You've got a background color. Usually white, sometimes black. Don't count it as "one of your colors" for now.

You pick ONE color. Red. Or Blue. Or Green. "One of the three basic ones". You create a site where this color is used in places that AREN'T "your main page background". Do you have posts? Do you have contact pages? DON'T put this color "as the background", DON'T put it as "the base color of your fonts-icons-whatever", use it as the background in, say, your header and your widgets. It's your "main secondary color".

Now, to get things a bit more interesting, pick a "darker" or "lighter" version of it. "The same color" (well, it's not actually "the same" since "it's different", but hey, "you get me" :-D ), but, say... Here's an example: use 150,0,0 (RGB) as your selected color, and add 220,20,20 (RGB) as your second color (lighter version of your first "red".

Now, you use this "secondary version of your color" in "secondary elements of your site". Think about it: WHAT are your "secondary elements"? The ones that AREN'T part of your "main content", that AREN'T "in-your-face" but "additional stuff"? Ads, widgets, some icons and links.

Here you go! Done!

It's as simple as that. I know, it sounds more complicated than it is, but it's actually a matter of priorities. You "colorize" your elements according to their priority, and, if you feel lost when using many colors, you just use ONE color and one or two (or three) "variations" of it (lighter-darker).

Yeah, I'm over-simplifying here, but it's a great way to get started in the use of colors. After you "get it" you can replace a secondary version of your primary color for a whole different color (say, by combining red and blue).

I find that a great way to get started in the proper use of colors is by playing and taking notice of old, REALLY old games. 8bit games. From the era where a computer COULDN'T display more than 16 colors. You'll be having fun while, at the same time, learning how to use your colors in a way that makes sense.

Here's a specific example: find and play North'n'South on the Amiga. Yeah, it's not THAT old as the games I mention, but it's the first one that came to mind, 'cause in it you'll see a common palette used for everything and two colors, red and blue, used to differentiate "two sides of the same coin", the "North" and "South" characters of its title. Now, remove the characters and the game from the equation, and think how you could use the same colors on a site with products - with red defining "category 1" and blue "category 2" of your products. Let's say you're selling items and services. Blue for the items, red for the services. Done. :)

SimplySidy likes this.
  16. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

@ducklord - your explanation for improving my understanding of colors makes me hopeful. Though occupied at the moment, in the days to come (sometime around 29th Jan onwards) I will put this tutorial to practice and will revert back to you for clarifications. :)

17. Scorp Member

Scorp

I don't outsource anything...

As far as HTML and CSS goes, I can do a lot of nice things with that, so I "design" my own stuff as far as that goes. You know, borders, shadows, hover movements, border radiuses, positions, widths, heights, etc...

For pictures, I tend to get Copyright free images, or I have a bunch of PLR packs with all the banners, pictures, and anything else I need. And as far as logos go, I just got some programs recently, and I plan on "mastering" one of them a little bit, so that I can hopefully create my own logos from now on. I mean, the few times I needed a logo I still created it myself, but I'm hoping the program can help me create Good logos that impress a little, because the stuff I've been doing until now doesn't look all that impressive at all...

@SimplySidy I'm not creative much either. My mind is what works. But I totally get what you're saying, lacking creativity does limit you in some things and in some ways. But I'd pick getting things Done over doing things creatively any day. In other words, I'm here to make money, not to reinvent the wheel or for attention... :)

18. ducklord Member

ducklord

@SimplySidy Well, it's not actually "a tutorial", just some simple guidelines, but yeah, try working with "white and ONE color with one or two somewhat-darker versions of it" in a page to see how it turns out. I'm here to lend a hand whenever you like.

@Scorp And THAT'S my problem: although I NEED "to make a buck" (and I mean ASAP, or I'll find myself having nothing to eat in just months), I always lose myself in designs, "playing" with graphics and values, ending making nothing. I have no job, have no offers, have no damn income at all apart from one writing gig at the moment. I know "I have to create my own site, to THEN upload some kind of not-yet-existing-portfolio, to THEN start knocking on doors to find SOME kind of job, hoping for SOME kind of income", and yet, I'm still "tweaking the design in my head to get it right"... for... more... than... two... damn... years... :-(

THAT'S why I wanted to co-operate with other people as well: to have them bash on my hand and FORCE me to work, hoping to actually DO make something.

By the way, if anyone can give me a guide of simple steps, like talking to a baby, on "how to make some bucks online", I'd be more than happy. Maybe I'd even start crying. Whenever someone gives me some advice like "go to Fiverr" I end up borking it 'cause "it's too general" for my ADHD-ridden mind. I DID go to Fiverr. I DID try to add two ads for "stuff I could do". One was not accepted (I still don't know why), the other "pulled" people that needed a different thing to what I was trying to sell (desktop automation/scripting, I tried to sell "move your cursor and hit keys automatically" stuff, they wanted "read values from Excel and add them to database" proggies I didn't know how to make).

Damn... I'm basically screwed economically.

19. Scorp Member

Scorp

Okay, I just got an idea...

How about you find a way to create 50 Facebook accounts per month, and grow them to 5000 friends each, and then sell them for $20-30 a pop?

So, say 50 X 20 = $1000 per month...

There we geeew :D

Now, find a way to automate that... mmm

Seriously though, that could work actually, but I can't see how to make even 1 account getting 5000 friends without spending 24/7 for a while trying to accomplish it...

Fiverr, the thing with Fiverr is that you can't just create your gigs and hope clients will flood in, you gotta promote on Forums, Blogs, Video Sites (Youtube), etc...

You know @ducklord , the thing about your website is that it's in Greek, aimed at a Greek audience. So what your target market? What are your potential customers/readers? 10 mil? 20 mil? 30 mil? I'm saying that because I recently talked to a cousin of mine from, oh, here comes trouble, Macedonia (FYROM), and he wanted to create a site in his language, so I told the guy, I would never do that, because I want my target market and potential readers to be in the Billions, not millions, so anything other than English is unacceptable. I wouldn't limit myself like that.

However, maybe you can give me a reason why that's a better business plan, to target your home country? I mean, if I wanted to make a name for myself or something like that, I guess I'd go Serbian, but I'm not interested in fame or attention, only money. I don't care to make site which can potentially get my name known with Serbian people or maybe even get me invited on TV or a newspaper or something, or give me bragging rights. Get outta here with that bull, give me the money, take your respect and attention elsewhere, preferably your politicians or sport or entertainment gods, they seem to like it, I don't...

I also talked with a Dutch person some time ago, and he was telling me about something he wanted to do, I can't remember what it was, and I asked him, "Are you looking for money or fame?" He said, "A bit of both, I guess." So I appreciate the honesty. Again, I talked with a Serbian friend of mine, he wanted to create a Social Media type of meet-up site, and I told him that his idea would take a helluva lot of effort, money and time, and there are no guarantees that it would work either. So again, comes my question, "Fame or money?" He says, "Well, money, of course, but some fame wouldn't hurt." So I told the guy, don't try to reinvent the wheel, but good luck if you try to..

I believe that what limits a lot of people on making money online is that they want to be the next fu****g Zuccerberg Billionares, the next Bill Gates, and that's a problem. I have a friend, American, and he's making money selling social media services - Youtube Likes, Twitter Followers - the type of dog business that for the most part breaks the rules - TOS - of those sites. He knows Nothing of programming, websites, CSS, nothing, ZeRo, and I betcha he makes more money than all of us put together, and I respect him for that. There's no fame there, just pure cash! Sure, he has his troubles and not making enough money, and he's still young and learning and getting better at what he does every day, but he's actually doing something. I have mucho respect for him...

20. mr_bucks New Member

mr_bucks

I can relate with what Sid is saying.

We each have different talents and weaknesses, and it is no point wasting time on something you suck at. Saying ut that how do others find graphic designers ? I hired a few graphic designers in the past, I never know what to tell them, and they seem to piss me off.

Like even simple things, like I want a logo, but the designer can not make what i want. And I don't know how to explain these things to him.

Is there a book or something that tells you how to instruct graphic designers ? Graphic designers always seem flakey to me and I never know how much to pay them.

SimplySidy likes this.