1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Do you design your own website or use templates?

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by queenbee, Nov 4, 2014.

1. queenbee New Member

queenbee

Do you think learning HTML is worthwhile for website creators, or do you think creators can get by on using pre-made templates? I know some great places to learn code such as codeacademy and khan academy - but is it worth it?

2. Survivor29 New Member

Survivor29

It's definitely worth knowing how to design your website, especially if you stick with it and have natural talent with graphics design. On the other hand, I've seen so many badly designed websites to form the opinion that if you do go ahead and design your own website, please have it looked over by a professional web designer. A friend who works in the field is usually the best one to give you an honest opinion about your website.

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

There are some good WYSIWYG programs, for both the PC and Mac, that allow someone with no HTML knowledge to put together a pretty nice looking site. However, a knowledge of HTML is helpful because these programs don't always put out the cleanest code. If you were creating sites for clients, you would quickly run into requests that cannot be accomplished through a template-based HTML editor. For your own purposes though, you could get by with a WYSIWYG editor just fine.

4. Billy New Member

Billy

I always use free themes and I'm too cheap to pay for one. I'll take hours looking through the free ones, editing them, and then, most of the time, trying out another one. It can take weeks for me to be satisfied with one, the usual 2010, 11, 12, 13, and 14 are usually pretty good with some customization.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

Learning to make a site from scratch is always important. I mostly use templates now because of time constraints, but if I did not know even the basic's I would not be able to tackle problems in coding or what not. Plus knowing the information allows you to make changes to the site to fit what you want and need that it does not already have. No template is going to be EXACTLY what you want.

6. jade870 New Member

jade870

Personally I think HTML can be quite useful if you know which are doing. I myself have played around with just the basics of startup points but that’s as far as I got. I’m currently using a free template for my blog that I just published online a few days ago. A free template can be very good if you’re just going to use it for awhile for startup. But HTML can be more effective in graphics been any free template could ever be.

7. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

It surely is worth it to learn it all, because you got to know it to use the templates as well, though I also prefer to use templates but I always edit the templates according to my suiting, but I also know enough of HTML5 and CSS3 to code my own, but templates are a good time saver if you are in a hurry.

8. Brox New Member

Brox

HTML is very useful, but for web design you must know CSS and jQuery also. CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets, and it goes in combination with HyperText Markup Language. It is responsible for the good looks of our website. And the jQuery is powerful Javascript library, and we use it when want to add some cool animation to the site. So just HTML is not enough for building a website. You can easily conclude that building a quality site is not an easy task. This is my business area and from personal experience I know how much time, effort, and commitment is necessary if someone want to make a success. There are some frameworks for faster building mobile friendly templates, like Bootstrap or Yaml. On W3Layouts I have seen great fancy mobile friendly templates totally free. You may check, and I bet you will like it. And as Converse said you can use software for fast website building also.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  9. calebmelvern New Member

calebmelvern

I have no knowledge in creating templates and web design isn't my strong suit. This is why I always purchase templates. I mostly use WordPress by the way. This hasn't bothered me at all, although I'm still currently studying HTML and CSS to edit the themes I have.

10. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

I dont understand colors. That is the biggest limitation with me when I work as a Website Developer. Normally, the Website Developer is always misunderstood to do the designs and the codes as well. With my little sense of colors, I mess up designs. So I found a way out. I ask my clients if they have a design with them or not. If yes, good. And if no, I try to find a designer locally and go with his designs - this many a times has got me losing on clients as the local designers at times do not feel comfortable interacting with my clients.

So for most of my recent works, I prefer asking the client to buy out a template and if changes are necessary, I ask them their color preferences and other placements of code snippets. Many a times, I do recommend a few of the templates and when the client okays one, either me or the client buy it out for our use.

11. lordrenly New Member

lordrenly

Even with templates, I think there are a lot of things that you can do if you learn the underlying code and learn to modify it yourself. That way, if you want to tweak the design a little bit in case you want more space to fit longer contents, or want to emphasize certain parts, then you can do it one the code without having to use WYSIWYG editor. HTML is not that hard compared to CSS in my opinion and I was able to learn the basics from scratch in a week so I think you should be fine learning from codeacademy. Right now, I am learning CSS and hopefully once I master it, I would be able to program my website efficiently.

12. xTinx New Member

xTinx

It's usually a combination of both. You can't just copy a template and pass it off as your own design. It would be advisable to add your own personal touch so that the website's design will look entirely different and not just a mere copy of an existing template.

13. toradrake Member

toradrake

Back in the early 2000's I had a folder filled with templates that I had modified. They were from Template Monster back when they still had free use templates. When I worked with clients, I would show them the templates and ask them to choose one. Then I would ask them what colors they wanted and were. If I had an undecided or in a hurry client, I would ask them just to pick a template ask what colors they wanted and I would make 4 or 5 different variations of the template with those colors laid out differently. Then I would show the client them all and ask them to pick one. For me it was the easiest and fasted way to get sites out there for my clients.

14. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I've been considering the creation of my own website framework. It takes a long time to build something from scratch. If I even did web design as a profession I would want to have an already built framework in hand so I could pump out sites at a faster pace and more money plus make the customers happier.

15. toradrake Member

toradrake

That is what I am working on right now. I have been slowly in house working on a scratch site just for fun.

16. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Are you a front end dev only or do you know some back end as well?

PHP is the funnest part to me. I also like working with jQuery.

17. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

If you want to be professional about your website, you should create your own or atleast get someone hired to make it. Whilst templates are good for people that have no knowledge of web coding, they might have trouble at times trying to figure out what is what. I know that I had this trouble when I started look at templates. Some people might not realise that there is a style.css that styles their website so that person will go nuts trying to change the colour of a font.

18. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I can't stand working with templates to be honest.

I've always sucked at working with other people's code.

I like to code everything myself from the ground up so I can create my own frameworks and really master every nook and cranny of the system.

By the time I finish a project I am an absolute guru when it comes to troubleshooting.

When you work with someone else's framework you never get to have this confidence and level of understanding.

19. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

I agree. When there is a problem with the website, I am the first person to fix it. I'm probably the only person that can fix this cause you wouldn't be able to figure out what the code is since I use fancy abbreviations which are not used in other websites. When it comes to troubleshooting, I can understand all the code because I wrote it and I can fix it quickly.

KenBrace likes this.
  20. maverick New Member

maverick

It really depends on what website I have to create. If it's sometime that can be done really quick and do not require special layouts or anything similiar then I'd stick with Bootstrap and jQuery else if the client requires some specific design of the website then I start to try to find online a template that matches the client's disposition. Of course these things I described up here have as aim a person who want to be a "web designer" in every aspects but nowdays of course you don't need to know HTML,CSS, etc.. Just fire up an advanced WYSIWYG software and you're done but of course the results are way different.