1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Dmoz At Searchtopix

Discussion in 'Directory Announcements' started by DougO, Oct 30, 2015.

1. DougO New Member

DougO

Greetings,

I'd like to announce a new site for browsing and searching the DMOZ Internet Directory. The site is at http://dmoz.searchtopix.com and provides both basic directory functionality and some new exclusive features.

I would love to get any feedback you might have on the design, usefulness, or any other aspect of the site.

Here are some notes about the implementation (for those possibly interested):
    • The site is driven by the DMOZ RDF data files that are published weekly.
    • The category description is displayed at the top of each category page. The official DMOZ site has a link that takes you to the description, which seemed less accessible.
    • Category pages that have a list of sites also have a "search the below web sites" feature that will perform a search of the web of the sites in the current category and optionally contained sub-categories. This feature uses the Google Custom Search Engine (CSE) to provide search results.
    • The directory search feature (at the top of each page) has a language drop down where you can select any of the 91 languages. I choose to create separate full-text indexes for each language rather than building them all into a single composite index. This means when you search the Italian index for "pizza" you will only get back hits for sites and categories that are under the "World/Italiano" directory path. Likewise, the English index will not provide search hits for sites or categories under the "World/*" directory path. The site automatically selects the appropriate language based on your current location within the directory.
    • The site is enabled to display content in all 91 languages, including proper right-to-left layout for Arabic and Hebrew.
    • The site has a responsive page layout that is optimized for mobile devices and tablets.
    My goal for this project was to put a more modern web interface on the directory and also provide value-add through features such as the category web search. I've got quite a few ideas for additional features and would love to hear any suggestions. This is a custom web application and anything is possible.

Thanks,

-DougO

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  2. DougO New Member

DougO

3. aymen3571 New Member

aymen3571

Thanks