1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Creating A Special Board For Newbies

Discussion in 'Online Communities' started by Rainman, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Rainman New Member

Rainman

Let's take the example of an internet marketing forum. Not everyone who joins the community knows enough about internet marketing. A number of new members know totally nothing about internet marketing and might have a difficult time finding information that a newbie to IM would find helpful.

It great for that reason to have a section where newbies will find guides, articles, etc which introduce them to internet marketing. It would make it a lot easier for them to grasp the basics that way and afterwards [if they are so inclined, they can choose to post in other sections of the forum.

Wouldn't this be better than having newbies posting the similar threads, seeking the same information?

2. blur92 New Member

blur92

I think this is a great idea. It is an efficient, organized way of maintaining a forum. I think it could facilitate a lot of good conversation and help any newbies pick up much more quickly.

I don't think newbies should be restricted to only that section which you touched on. Some newbies to the forum may not be newbies to the topic in general.

Rainman likes this.
  3. toradrake Member

toradrake

You could also create a section that is specifically for those chosen by admin to write threads on the basic's for newbies to read and ask questions on to get them familiar with everything. Only those given access to post the threads in that area would be able to though. Anyone can respond but only those chosen can instruct.

blur92 and Rainman like this.
  4. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

It would be great to see some member created tutorials on the Online marketing section of the forums! I shall be certainly adding to this!

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

Didn't I put some over there? Odd, I thought I did.... Maybe you could ad some articles of your own @Niall95g... I'd like to hear what you think in this area.

6. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

I mean some more member created articles. I have seen yours! :) I do have a couple of topics to do and I shall get round to doing them very soon. Just need a little more time, there isn't enough hours in the day at the moment.

7. toradrake Member

toradrake

I understand that issue. LOL I have thousands of articles and video's I have to watch per day plus I have my own sites I am working on. Trying to write threads and such is usually last on my list of things to do for the day.

8. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

I have made a draft and I will be looking to post one of the threads next week. :)

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

I have been coming across some video tutorials on the subject that I am thinking about posting. I love videos. They give great audio and visual stimuli for education. I am still watching them to make for certain that they are not some kind of bogus information or just ad's for a product they are selling. I should have a few up very soon.

10. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

An internet marketing forum doesn't only introduce newbies to internet marketing. It can also introduce the intermediate and expert members to some things that they've never been exposed to. It would be a great community bring all the members to one forum where they can learn from each other. If you had a section called "Newbie's Helpdesk" it would help the newbies getting their questions answered instead of having the threads spread out.

11. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

Its a good idea, but would people really join a new forum like that? You'd need big experts in the staff to answer the queries, and also advertise it big time to make it a success.

12. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

Totally agree. You can't start a forum with $50. You need to invest about a couple hundred into the forum. You need to bribe them to stay and you need to get advertising to let your forum grow really quickly.

13. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I think that it would be smart because then all the new people would be able to meet each other. Sometimes I think it's hard to just go right into posting when I get on a new website. I also think that it would give them a place that they would be all able to talk and lean more. But like you said, sometimes when people do join these forums they don't always know what they're talking about so it makes it hard to even post on the forum in the first place. So, I do think that it would be a good idea.

14. maverick New Member

maverick

I think this is a really good idea and it kind of surprise me that none ever did such thing because I mean it's not really sophisticated concept that none can reach. Apart from that I've been frequenting a lot of forums like stock exchanges and forums like that and I've been really found mysel quite disoriented by the amount of information I was repeatedly told and none couldn't properly explain them to me so I guess your idea should be really implemented in all such forums.

15. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I think it would be good. It would introduce people to the idea of the forum. There are a lot of people who join them and then don't know what they are getting themselves into. I think that a newbie forum would be something that would be good in the long run.

16. Alunny Member

Alunny

I love this idea, especially if you can make some sort of group around it. People in charge of keeping an index of links (via sticky post) to help people get started with info from around the forum (not just the newbie area), as well as posting new newbie specific topics and answering newbie questions would be fantastic. You could give them a little badge and make them stand out which they would love and the newbies would know that the people they're talking to are experts. In fact you could just have an expert badge and a separate group as well lol.

17. DirtRider New Member

DirtRider

What I always find helps members on any forum is to have a forum help & about section. Here I will create help threads on how different forum functions work with nice screen shots when ever possible. If a current or new member does not find an answer to what the looking for then they are free to ask a question and a new help thread will be created on that subject.

I will also have a scratch pad forum area where anyone can make test post and threads to just try out the different forum options if they so wish. This forums threads will not count towards the members post rate or show up when doing a New Topic Search of any type. I will also auto archive this area so it does not get that cluttered up with old test threads and posts.

To date this methods has always served me well on all my forums and the members feel better about the forum once they get the idea of how all the functions work.

18. Alunny Member

Alunny

That's really not a great idea on most forums, and having a help area is also not the best of ideas either. Better to have one topic for common issues filled with answers and allow people to post for help in the feedback area and use the built in help systems on most forums. You can link people to it in a welcome PM and have screenshots/video what ever you like there too.

19. maverick New Member

maverick

I don't agree. Having a special area for newbies that faces for the first time the forum it's fundamental. I mean where they going to ask help for something if not there? You have to take in consideration that most of the users aren't skilled ones and they need frequently help.

20. Alunny Member

Alunny

In the feedback area, and the help is in the help topic that covers everything. Didn't you read my post? It covered all those things.

Have a welcome PM that links them to the help topic, to help them get started, and maybe even an intro topic if you don't want to put it in PM, and then have a link to the feedback area and say you should ask for help in there. That's how it's always been on my forums and it works quite well. I've also got a quick and dirty get started video in my welcome PM on one of them now and that's helped a bit.