1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Content, Content, Content

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by toradrake, Feb 3, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

I found this article on how to create compelling content. I agree with 2 of the 3 statements made in the article. The one I do not agree with is Testimonials. Why you may ask???

I rest my case.

When I see a testimonial, my first thought is... did someone actually give this testimonial or did the creator of the site write it to attract an audience. I am not the only one who thinks this way either. If you look around at scam sites and such... you will see that all of them have testimonials and all of them are fake. So a testimonial can be more harmful then good.

Should you not include testimonials then? By all means... include testimonials.... but they should be presented on their own and not in your content. Create a testimonial page if you will or a shout box for people to add testimonials to the side, but keep it out of the content for crying out loud. There are other things that you could place in your content that would be more effective and much more legitimate to the reader then testimonials.

How To Create Compelling Content for SEO Success and Sales

2. xTinx New Member

xTinx

Some people are fond of manufacturing impressions. "Content manipulation" may seem white hat to people but I personally classify it as black hat. I know of site owners who won't hesitate to be dishonest just to give their websites an illusion of reputation. I feel sorry for the customers they manage to convince the wrong way.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

It is unfortunate, but there are a lot of dishonest people on the net and testimonials just don't hold the weight they once had. I avoid them now because I find them personally usually to me.

4. SimplySidy Member

SimplySidy

I agree completely and I got rid of the testimonials completely on my website. There is no practical sense to having them - in my opinion because the visitors will not trust them anyway. Instead add more stuff like Profiles, Case Studies etc on the website as this way you can add more content and make it more useful. A Testimonial may also be put on such a page just to make yourself happy and comfortable :)

5. jblogger New Member

jblogger

Whenever I see a testimonial right in the middle of a post I get the feeling that I'm being pitched something. I know testimonials are great for closing a sale so if you are writing a sales letter then go ahead and put all the testimonials you need, but if you are writing an article please do as @toradrake and keep them out of the content.

6. toradrake Member

toradrake

Testimonials no longer have a place on webpages except for already established customers or on their own page for people to choose to see them. I see testimonials on a page and I high tail it out of there.

7. tmgenterprises New Member

tmgenterprises

You guys are looking at things from the professional point-of-view and not as the average consumer. Testimonials can be very effective with consumers and can make a big difference in revenue. Quoting from a testimonial can be useful in an article, depending on the topic and how it's done. It really does depend on the audience and the market you are going after.

Those who use fake testimonials are unethical, to say the least, but the market will right itself. There are too many ways that it will come back to bite the so-called marketer in the butt.

8. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Yep. I've always thought this way. I only really trust testimonials on larger sites where there would be no reason (or time) for the admin team to post fake testimonials. If a site has 50,000 members with everyone posting lots of testimonials then you can trust that it's most likely real.

It's the smaller sites that you have to look out for. If it's a site with 100 members and 2,000 posts then there is a very large possibility that the testimonials are fake.

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

Nope, wrong... one of my "talents" is that when I look at things, I look at them from a average consumers pov. That is how I was so successful in the marketing portion of the field when I was still working (I swear my boss almost started crying when I gave him my letter of resignation, and I am not being full of myself either. His eyes really DID water up and he begged me to stay). I refuse to have my eyes clouded with the knowledge of the industry. When I look at anything on a website or content, I look first as a consumer. After all, I AM a consumer. I am not just someone who has knowledge of the field. So no, I am not looking at it from a "professional" pov.

That's a good way to look at it. Nothing says fake like a small business with a big business's amount of testimonials.

10. vtech New Member

vtech

rather having testimonials on website i would rather prefer reviews over facebook page, and google plus that really help and counts.

jblogger likes this.