1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

CMS vs in-house solution

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by jblogger, Dec 27, 2014.

1. jblogger New Member

jblogger

Hello there!

Just wanted to ask you if you are using a CMS like Wordpress for your sites or a self development "in-house" content manager.

A couple years ago I began developing my own blog with PHP. I think it powered my blog for about half a year but in the end I stopped using it and came back to Wordpress. For didactic purposes developing my own blog was great. It's a fairly easy project and I would definitely recommend anyone learning web development to create their custom blog. But for any practical use Wordpress (as most CMS) are far easier to use and mantain and also they have a huge ecosystem of plugins and themes available for use. That's why I came back to it.

How about you? Are you using Wordpress or any other CMS or are you using your own custom content manager?

2. ducklord Member

ducklord

I'm not some huge business, just a lonely freelancer, so I'm using WP - exactly because "it's got lots of pre-made stuff". I've learned HTML and CSS, and some PHP, because of it. I love it. Now, though, that I know "the basics", and want to learn more about PHP, I'm really-really thinking of going the opposite way compared to you, creating some kind of custom solution as a test for one of my next projects. WP is good, even awesome, but it is also "too heavy" for simple projects. When you want to have 5 static pages and one that will update with some new info once per year, it's a bit of an overkill having a whole CMS "managing" 5-10 pages that mostly stay the same.

If I knew more about development, I'd do what I guess top devs do: use the proper tools for each project. On anything very small or uber-huge, a custom solution is (may be?!)* better. On anything in-between, a CMS like WP is fine.

* I'm not a "top dev" so that's, as I said, my guess. Maybe some top-dev will come here, call me a moron and explain why WP is awesome / sucky for huge or ultra small projects, or the opposite, or I dunno 'cause I'm not a top-dev, GOTO 10 :)

3. ockham New Member

ockham

I tried making my own CMS once. I know I have the skillset, I just never found the motivation to finish it. So instead, I just use WordPress. It gets the job done quite nicely.

4. jblogger New Member

jblogger

@ducklord I think a "top dev" would tell you not to do your own CMS because there are already lots of working solutions out there (like the already mentioned Wordpress. They would also tell you to stay away from PHP. It's a language that gets a lot of hate. I've read some reasons not to use PHP for new projects and while some make sense the truth is that PHP does the job and that's why I'm using it.

I'm not a top dev so my advice is try to code your own CMS. You'll learn a few new tricks even if you decide to go back to Wordpress as I did.

5. ducklord Member

ducklord

@jblogger Well, I've heard bad things about PHP, but I didn't "get it" all since, well, I don't actually know PHP. I can just read it. Thing is, there aren't many widely supported alternatives, are there? ASP is said to be even worse, Ruby is said to be slower and more difficult to get into... And, on the other hand, WordPress itself is built with PHP, so... Yeah... You know... :-D

6. jblogger New Member

jblogger

@ducklord I don't know about ASP, haven't used it ever, but as of Ruby I don't think it's more difficult to get into. In fact it's a fairly good first language to learn. I don't really know Ruby, all the exposure I've had was reading a book called Learn to Program by Chris Pine. It's a great book aimed specifically to beginners but that anyone would enjoy. I read it and followed and solved any example and excercise of the book but in the end I never used Ruby again. Still I do recommend this book because it's a great way to learn to program.

I remember sending an email to Chris Pine after reading the book telling him how great his book was. He was kind enough to reply to my mail telling me he was glad I enjoyed the book. I really did.

7. toradrake Member

toradrake

My forum is CMS. I wanted to create it in-house, but I neither have the time nor the patience to do it like that at the moment. So I went CMS. It just makes it much easier to work using a CMS then to try and do it in-house.

8. ducklord Member

ducklord

@jblogger Well, I always believed that different languages "speak" more to different people. Each one has their preferences, his own past experiences, and any new knowledge we gather is "built" on this foundation. Some things are... let's say "more incompatible" with some such "foundations" than others. I, myself, didn't spend time with Ruby at all since I found its very setup harder than PHP's and Python's, so I didn't even look at it. What I've said, though (that "it's a bit hardware") is what I've gathered from reading around on the net, looking at tutorials, peeking at conversations and questions of others. Python is also regarded one of the best languages to know today (and one of the "most wanted ones" in the market) compared to both ASP and Ruby (although Ruby comes very close, last time I checked).

@toradrake "Your forum is CMS", but, "what CMS"? I'm asking 'cause I was thinking of adding a forum to my WP-based blog, and don't know what are the "good" options today. What would you suggest?

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

Good question... no clue. LMAO. I just know that it is with Proboards. I'm not absolute on what the CMS is. Never thought to look. I like it though. Gives me access to the codes as well as simple to use. Only a few features I'm still working on figuring out how to work. Here is the place where my forum is located. http://www.freeforums.net

10. ducklord Member

ducklord

CMS's are exactly what their name means: Content Management Systems. Every site has "content". If it's not a "static" site (one with a specific set of non-changing pages), then its contents are somehow updated. You can do that the hard way, a) by manually editing files / adding and removing stuff to a database, b) by building some kind of system that helps you do that, or go the "easy" way by c) using a pre-made such system. That's called "a CMS".

Usually you call a CMS what powers a typical site, not a BBS. Systems such as WordPress, Joomla or Drupal. Since BBS solutions have become more "site-y" and sites can include "forum-y sections", I guess you could call the software "behind" a forum a CMS as well.

So, in your case, your CMS is "the one that Proboards use". I don't know anything about them, though, so... er... yes... :)

11. toradrake Member

toradrake

Thanks for the insight. I still have yet to figure out what they use. I looked over the site, but unless I am overlooking it.... I see no mention of it. I might have to contact their tech support to find out. Let you know if I ever figure it out.

12. mr_bucks New Member

mr_bucks

Unless you are running a huge site like reddit or facebook you are better off to go with a CMS to start. With a CMS there are a lot more sites you can host on and it is a lot cheaper. A CMS will get you up and running a lot quicker so you can test the market before you invest too much into your idea.

A CMS like wordpress offers you out of the box through plugins more ways for your users to log in, and many other customizations. If you want to add extras like forums, there are many forums that interegrate nicely with wordpress.

Another thing is you don't have to worry as much about security. Most of the code and plugins for a CMS are reviewed by other uses. So things like SQL injections and XSS are less of a problem.

Later on if your site grows you can always make a customized solution for your site.

13. ducklord Member

ducklord

@mr_bucks Yep, but add the opposite side to the mix: you shouldn't also use a CMS if you're creating an ultra-simple site that will almost never get updated. If your site is a "this is our awesome schools awesome football awesome team awesome (awesome)" site for your class, just set up a bunch of static HTML pages (with enough CSS) and you're set. There's no reason setting up a CMS - it would be "heavier" for the host, you'd have to ocassionally check it up and update the CMS and any plugins... Too much fuss for nothing.

14. mr_bucks New Member

mr_bucks

@ducklord use the right tool for the job, don't reinvent the wheel.

People ask questions like is wordpress a good CMS. It depends what you are using it for.

15. ducklord Member

ducklord

@mr_bucks I don't get it: you mean that for a five-page-site it's still better to use a CMS?! For realz?! Adding PHP and MySQL load of hundreds of routines and subroutines to your server to always display the same five pages?! Why? In cases like this, "the right tool for the job" is HTML and CSS by itself. Only. There's no reason in using a, notice that, content management system, if you don't have loads of content!

16. mr_bucks New Member

mr_bucks

Depends on many factors. If your static 5 page site is getting millions of hits a day, then your method is unquestionably better.

If the site gets 200 hits a day, wordpress will do the trick. It comes with our of the box templates, a logo can be easily added, for cheap webhosting it is just a one click install.

If the user or you needs to make basic modifications it can be done with a web browser.

17. jblogger New Member

jblogger

@mr_bucks in the end I think it comes to this: if you are going to modify the content (on a regular basis) you need a CMS. If you are not going to touch anything, or you are only going to modify the content every six months then you can do well with a static HTML site.

18. vtech New Member

vtech

It totally depends on requirement, obviously if a website is of academic writing services with order and all the calculations than it requires customize solution. Otherwise if requirement fits best in WordPress than there is nothing better than that.

19. Aminur Rahman New Member

Aminur Rahman

I love to develop websites with CMS. It's really easy for the people like me who don't have advanced knowledge of coding.

20. donnadona904 Member

donnadona904

"I Loved You" is a single by British deep house duo Blonde featuring vocals from British singer Melissa Steel. The track uses interpolations of "More", a song from the album of the same name by Canadian singer Tamia. It was released through Parlophone on 30 November 2014 in the United Kingdom. The song has peaked at number 7 on the UK Singles Chart.