1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Chat Rooms On Forums - Good or Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Forums' started by Rainman, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Rainman New Member

Rainman

Some forum owners believe that adding a chatroom will increase forum activity. In theory, it's a tactic that might work.

However, I've witnessed the addition of a chatroom kill a forum. Before its addition many members posted on the forum but from the time the chatroom was added, many of those who were on the forum only to socialize opted to, from then on, use the chatroom more. Activity on the forum dropped and those who weren't all that interested in "chatting" left.

What do you guys think? Are chatrooms that bad for forums?

2. Converse Active Member

Converse

That was my experience the only time I tried that.

3. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

It depends on what type of forum you are running.

If it's geared towards information and very on-topic discussion then a chat room probably isn't a good idea. You don't want your members chatting. You want posts and informative content. Chatting doesn't really add content to the site.

On the other hand if your forum is more laid back and community rather content centered then a chat box can be a great addition. It allows users to chat back and forth on more casual topics without having to worry about providing useful content. You can't really post "LOL", "yep", "hey how's everyone today" on a thread. It just looks bad and isn't helping the site. But it can be somewhat annoying for users to have to constantly be making decent posts. Once your site becomes a real community and the people get to know each other then they will want an alternative and more casual environment to chat with each other.

In my experience a chat box doesn't really decrease the content generation though. Most people care more about the forum than they do chatting. That's most people's main priority.

4. toradrake Member

toradrake

I agree with @KenBrace. I think it depends on your forum. I have a chat room on my forum, I don't have any members yet because its still being somewhat worked on and I just came to the knowledge that certain posting services do not work with proboards, so I have to take the slow route to get members. Overtime though I would be able to better answer that question. I think it also depends on how you have it set up. I go to this one site where you can only access the chat as a member, I rarely see anyone on it but I see tons of threads added everyday from members. Everytime there is a new thread added or someone comes online, it lets you know. That is all I use their chatbox for so far and it seems that members doing the same.

5. Shamzblueworld New Member

Shamzblueworld

I don't like it, especially when it is on the index page, if the forum is big enough you can have it as a separate addon with a link on the main pages, but the shoutbox really looks terrible.

6. Sunflower_Michele54 New Member

Sunflower_Michele54

I agree with those who say that it depends on what kind of forum you are a member of. While I do think it is a good idea, there may be times that it may not be. I think it's great to chat with other members about their view points on all types of forums. However, there are not many people who tend to chat. It can be great for those who do want to chat, but I guess it's not as common to use it just for personal fun chatting. Forums are generally used for answering questions, which is how members can reply to each others' answers. This is basically the way chatting works on forums.

7. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

One thing I really dislike are the shoutboxes that get in your way.

I like the idea of a shout box on the index page because people are more likely to use it.

I had a chat box on a site once and it pretty much never got used because it was on a separate page.

It was a fairly small site (100+ members) so the chances of multiple people being in the chatroom at once was unlikely.

I don't think it should get it the user's way though. Especially if it messes up their scrolling.

8. orocot New Member

orocot

Hi,

Having a chatroom on a forum is just asking for trouble. Why would people post on the forum when they can simply talk in a chatroom in real time? The only way I would ever have a chatroom on a forum would be to hold stuff like quiz competitions and even then, only have the chatroom open when the said event was taking place. I would immediately close the chatroom after the event had finished,

Orcot

9. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I mean it could be good, but it could also be bad. I would see it as a good thing if you want to get more of the members to know one another. It could be a bad thing though if they decide that they will just talk on there. You want to make sure that there is a balance when you have a chat room. A forum could fail quickly if no one is posting anymore. That's the biggest concern that you should think about if you add a chat room.

10. David S New Member

David S

I think it is a bad idea because I thought they distract away from the forum and end up talking there all the time. I think it's better for staff IMO really, so they can talk about anything they want.

11. CarolKenneth New Member

CarolKenneth

I don't like it, especially when it is on the index page, if the forum is big enough you can have it as a separate addon with a link on the main pages, but the shoutbox really looks terrible.

12. chinomoreno New Member

chinomoreno

I don't like a chatbox on forum. I've seen some and I don't think it is effective.
    Some messages on it are not really worth a conversation, and even if there is one it will just left unnoticed.

13. SylviaGonzalez New Member

SylviaGonzalez

I also don't like a chatbox on forum