1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Changing Languages

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by toradrake, Mar 3, 2015.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

A very long time ago I was working on a site with a friend and they found codes that put a language selector on the website that allowed the user to change the language for the entire site when they selected it. I can't seem to remember what it was called or where to find it. It was a drop down box that you selected the language and the site would convert to that language. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

2. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I'm not sure. I know that Google Chrome has a page translate function. If your browser settings are English and it detects that the page you are viewing is in a different language (i.e. russian) then it will popup a little option to translate the page. Is this similar to what you're talking about?

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

Similar but not exactly. I want it to automatically change it with out asking. For instance, my blog and forum are both in English. I have a visitor or member from France come in. At the top of the page there is either a list of languages they click on or a drop down box and the page automatically translates.

4. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

That would have to be something hard coded into the software I would think. XenForo has the ability to change between languages once you own an account. You can go into your preferrences and change it. I'm not sure about guests though. Either way there would have to be some sort of language switching feature coded into the software you use. I'm assuming that pro boards doesn't have anything like this. If so then you are probably just out of luck. :(

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

Yeah, there used to be a code on the net for it, but I can't seem to find it. I remember using it once in the late 90's early 2000's. I may be out of date though. Not sure. With everyone using translators like Bing and Google, no one thinks to code it in anymore. Have to see what I can figure out.

6. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Well because of modern browsers we don't really have the need for multi language sites anymore.

The language can automatically be detected and translated if need be.

This feature has come in very handy at times. As an English speaker most of the web is available to me but I do occasionally run into a foreign site that has information I'm interested in.

7. xTinx New Member

xTinx

8. toradrake Member

toradrake

~sirens and bells going off~ We have a WINNER!!!! Yes xTinx that what I was talking about. It used to be a code for your site. I was not aware there was a wordpress plugin now. However I just need the code so that I can put it on my site. Thank you xTinx, this really helps. I knew I wasn't crazy!

KenBrace likes this.
  9. xTinx New Member

xTinx

Of course, there was (or is) a code for that. I saw many Japanese and Korean univeristies sporting this button/option on for students who can't read characters and prefer to browse an English version of their site. Take these websites for instance (see the language options near the menu section):

10. toradrake Member

toradrake

Thanks xTinx. got the code now. That was a lot of help. I could not find it to save my life. I guess not a lot of sites still use it.

11. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I don't know what that's called, but it can be so important. Especially if you want to keep traffic from other countries. I have found that most of my traffic comes from other places around the world. That's why I try to make sure that I can accommodate them. That's why I try to make sure that they can all read what I'm posting.