1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Building a Website

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by toradrake, Nov 11, 2014.

1. toradrake Member

toradrake

Although the title of this article is a little off because you are not actually doing it from scratch because it suggest a website building tool, it does have some good pointers as to the process that makes it easier to keep yourself organized and focused while building.

How to Build a Website From Scratch – The Cheap And Easy Way

This site talks about using html and notepad to build a site.

http://www.2createawebsite.com/build/build-html-website.html+

These are not absolute. There is way more information and more ways. These are just to help you to start.

2. Billy New Member

Billy

Don't you think that it's a lot easier for a noob to use Wordpress? You just need to install it and then write articles.

3. Converse Active Member

Converse

I know from bad experiences that it is also easy to mess something up if you don't know your way around WordPress.

4. toradrake Member

toradrake

Probably would but the information is for those who want to learn to do it without assistance programs. Plus website design tools do make mistakes and sometimes don't get the coding right. Knowing this information will help them to identify these issues and correct them without pulling their hair out over it.

5. jdroc New Member

jdroc

What about Ghost. I came across an article that was breaking down this platform. Actually, I was writing an article for a client that has a website exclusively about wordpress themes and came across the Ghost platform. It seems really cool. I think it can even give Wordpress a run as a legitimate competitor in a couple of years. Their monthly fee includes security, hosting, and some other features. It's tiered by the amount of traffic. I think the lowest fee was for 25,000 visitors a month. The next one included three blogs and it wasn't too much of a price jump. I will definitely try to use this one for my next project, whenever that is. Anybody else using Ghost right now?

6. Converse Active Member

Converse

One thing that I would be careful of are those monthly fees. I have had to re-start my forum because I entered into an agreement with Forums.net, which offered what seemed like reasonable rates, and I liked the forum platform. At four times my average pageviews, I would have still been able to afford it easily.

What I didn't plan for occurred on the first day of the second month of the six-month contract that I signed with them. I logged into my dashboard on the second day to see that the project cost for at month was nearly $4,000. According to tech support, I had been hit with a DOS attack and each of ding counted as a pageview.

With that type of arrangement, it's only a matter of time before you will get a bill that is both unreasonable and unaffordable. On my other hosting accounts, I get DOS attacks all the time and they don't bill me for thousands of dollars. Another problem with this sort of arrangement is that there is no way that I can know that someone at Forums.net didn't trigger the "DOS attack" in order to pump the bill up once I signed a contract, or that they wouldn't generate something more affordable, yet profitable for them.

You could find yourself paying $250 a month or more, yet have only a few real visitors.

7. Clcharms New Member

Clcharms

WordPress and Blogspot are the best places to start websites on. I have a blog on BlogSpot and it made my blogging experience fairly easy. However, I am considering moving my blog "Its Raining Mary Janes!" to WordPress because of easier navigation and so that the domain name will only include the URL that I choose and not the website's host name.

8. Clcharms New Member

Clcharms

WordPress and Blogspot are the best places to start websites on. I have a blog on BlogSpot and it made my blogging experience fairly easy. However, I am considering moving my blog "Its Raining Mary Janes!" to WordPress because of easier navigation and so that the domain name will only include the URL that I choose and not the website's host name.

9. toradrake Member

toradrake

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! That is outrageous! Please tell me you got that corrected and did not pay.

10. Converse Active Member

Converse

That was the projected bill for the month. I shut it down that day so, with no more pageviews for the rest of the month, my bill for a day and a half comes to just under $60.

11. toradrake Member

toradrake

Even that is outrageous in my eyes, but at least you caught it in time. You had my heart in my throat on that. Remind me never to host with that hosting. LOL

12. jade870 New Member

jade870

I honestly tried to create my own web site a while back, but giving that I am a newbie I had to search the Internet are a lot of stuff. I learned that I had to use notepad to start off my web page. Which for me was more difficult than I realized that time, giving that I didn't know anything about HTML. I got most of my basics covered just from watching videos on the web, which helped out a lot. Once I got to a certain point and it started to involve pictures and videos on the web page itself, I was lost. Since then I have learned a little more, but not enough to call myself a professional or advanced by any means.

13. Converse Active Member

Converse

With all of the WYSIWYG web editors and other editors available, it doesn't make sense to learn to build a site from scratch any longer. Maybe that's not quite true, because knowing how to do so can be useful. But it certainly isn't necessary for someone who just want to build his own websites.

On the high end, there is Adobe Dreamweaver and Adobe Creative Cloud, both of which I've had at one time, although they're not the most intuitive programs for someone who is new to building a website, at least not unless they've simplified them considerably in the last few years. Actually, Adobe Creative Suite is the product that I had, so I am assuming that it's the same product only now in the cloud. I am not familiar with the Microsoft Expression products. NetObjects Fusion I have spoken of before and, while I am not as enamored with it now as I was in previous years, it remains a very good choice for someone who wants to build a website without any HTML knowledge. It's actually more of a site creation engine than it is an editor because everything is accomplished within the program and it isn't turned into HTML, CSS, etc. until you publish.

CoffeeCup
    has a lot of reasonably priced products that are great for anyone running a Windows PC. I'm not sure if they're still there, but the founders were living in Corpus Christi, Texas when they began their programs, which is not terribly far from where I was living at the time, so I met them a few times. The last time I used their editor, it was sort of a cross between a WYSIWYG editor and a text-based editor, making it a good way to learn HTML, as you'd be using their tools to work with the actual HTML code in one part of the screen while the results were shown in another part of the screen, so you'd know right away if something you did wasn't working.

It's been a few years since I've looked at it, but SeaMonkey is a freeware HTML editor for the Max OS. I wasn't impressed with it at the time, but I might take another look. SeaMonkey uses the Firefox browser as the core of its editing program, as it is also produced by Mozilla. As I said, when I looked at it, I didn't get it but perhaps I'll give it another chance since I like trying new things.

Produced by the W3C organization, Amaya is an open source editor. When I tried it many years ago, I absolutely hated it, as I did their browser. I know that it's still available but I don't think they've come out with an update in a couple of years.

Arachnophilia is a terrific free editor that is available for Windows or Mac OS computers, and probably other platforms as well. I don't know that it would be the best choice for someone who doesn't know any HTML unless they were interested largely in learning HTML because it's a great editor for learning HTML or for tweaking the code produced by another editor. BBEdit has been around forever, and it is a great choice for someone wanting learn to code HTML, and is commonly used by those who do create sites from scratch. Basically, it is a text editor with built-in shortcuts that can make the job easier and quicker. It's not free, but it's reasonably affordable. There are several other text editors that offer shortcuts to creating HTML pages.

Coda is an HTML editor for the Mac OS that I'd like to try but since I don't need it, I haven't been willing to part with a hundred bucks yet. Eventually, I'll buy it though. It is not a WYSIWYG editor, however. NetBeans is one that I bought a year or so ago, but haven't had time to figure it out yet. It's more than a web editor, however.

I haven't tried creating a whole site with it yet, but I use BlueGriffon, which is a free editor for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux, when I have a one-page product to create. Sometimes, I do content creation for clients who want to receive it HTML so that's what I use. I haven't seen an update from them in a while though.

Sandvox is a simple WYSIWYG editor for the Mac OS. It is very easy to figure out, and it produces some pretty nice template-based sites, although you can build your own templates or modify existing templates. It's not my favorite, but I use it a lot. My favorite editor for the Mac has been Rapidweaver, as there seems to be no end to what you can do with it, either through modifications, plugins, or other third-party products. They have recently issued a major upgrade (v.6) that I am not at all fond of, at least not yet. Perhaps they'll correct it, but their new version crashes constantly, for me, and it seems to have fewer features than previous versions. However, I often hate major upgrades at first. Once I get to know my way around, and once they've solved whatever isn't working in it, I may come to like it. In the meantime, I am using the previous version to update sites that I have created in previous versions.

These are a few of the ones that I use, have used, or have considered using.