1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Blurry Images & Photoshop

Discussion in 'Graphic Design' started by blur92, Apr 15, 2015.

1. blur92 New Member

blur92

Almost all of my completed Photoshop documents are slightly blurry. This results in them being blurry when I save them as a jpg file too. I have tried looking up why this is happening with no success. It's frustrating. I suspect it has something to do with the initial setup of my document. Can anyone help me with this?

2. tasha New Member

tasha

I am not too familiar with it but if your image is blurry it is too low a resolution and if the image is not yours than you cannot fix the problem, you need to recreate the image in order to size it to your liking and able you to see the image clearly.

3. PandaDZN New Member

PandaDZN

Can you screenshot your settings when you create a new document?

4. OhioTom76 New Member

OhioTom76

It's difficult to say without knowing more about the image(s) you are working on. I suspect you may be trying to import low resolution images into Photoshop and are resizing them to be bigger to fit in with your design. You can never "add" detail to an already low resolution image. However you can always shrink down an image which is too large for your layout, and it should look fine.

First off, take a look at the Navigator pane and make sure it's at 100% - that's how large the final rendered image should really be, particularly if you are creating it with the intention to embed it in a web page. You can "zoom" in or out with the navigation pane, but that's only for your convenience while working on the image within Photoshop, it's not changing the actual size of the image.

Also, you should ensure any image assets you are importing into your layout are at a high resolution - again, it's always better to shrink something down than to try and enlarge something that's way too small. You should also look into Smart Objects in Photoshop, because these are a perfect use case for importing large images and converting them to smart objects before resizing them. The benefit of them being a smart object is you can resize the image without losing quality - since it's merely an instance of the source image.

5. tasha New Member

tasha

Photo shop is great but there are programs that are also as good and I find illustrator is much more helpful. I hope you manage to work it out because what a frustration that can be. And it would be great if we could help you here but it is difficult to read rather than take a look

6. xTinx New Member

xTinx

Your dpi is too low. The rule is always to use twice the dpi you need for the actual document. And yes, as aforementioned, as far as documents with text are concerned, it's not advisable to use Photoshop. Illustrator and InDesign would have provided you with better and clearer results. If you prefer free software, Scribus can be a good alternative but you have to put up with the limited setup.

7. Hannah Riff New Member

Hannah Riff

It depends. There can be many things that cause this. Some formats don't translate well into jpg. Your resolution might be too low. It's unliklely that DPI plays a role here since it's mainly important for printing