1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Best Place For Start A Forum

Discussion in 'Forums' started by danielle davidson, Jul 23, 2015.

1. danielle davidson New Member

danielle davidson

I want to be able to start a forum, but I have no clue where I would be able to start. I'm sure that there are places that have a good place for beginners. I mean that I don't know too much when it comes to a forum. I have wanted to start one since I started to use them this summer, but wans't sure how to go about it. So, what is a good place to start a forum?

2. Alunny Member

Alunny

Not sure what forum software you're looking into using but http://www.NextLevelSMF.com is a managed solution. You'll get your own domain, an SMF forum, and they will help you install mods and stuff as part of your plan and it's got anti spam on it too. It's more expensive than slapping your forum on a cheap host (which will be awful by the way) but that's because you've effectively got a freelancer on retainer to help you with everything.

And the best part in my opinion is they're really active in helping you. They check in every day with their own account, make sure you're error free. They will let you know of any issues or suggestions for improvement (specific to your forum!) and sometimes they even post. They handle the whole tech side for you and let you actually have the fun forum management stuff. You can ask them to do anything and they will help.

So I guess what I am saying is if you're brand new to forums (or busy/lazy) it's a good place to start looking because they offer more than anyone else I've seen and they will actually help with everything newbies have issues with, AND they even give you more hosting space and stuff for growing!

3. Jason76 Member

Jason76

If you want to work with a typical hosting package, starting a forum will be fairly easy. For instance, there will be a self-extracting program to help you out. In addition, there will be many free forum solutions. However, if you want something more, than you might need premium forum software. In that case, installing can be a lot more difficult, if you don't have the right background.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  4. Converse Active Member

Converse

That doesn't look like a bad idea. I'm not about to start a new forum or to change my forum software from Xenforo to SMF, but if I were going to start a new forum, this would be worth considering. SMF is a good forum software.

5. DirtRider New Member

DirtRider

There are a number of things you need to consider when starting up a new forum as every step is important and can affect the future of the new forum.
    Firstly you would need to decide what your forum is about and register a domain name with a hosting solution. Starting off you could use a shared hosting option as it is not that pricey at all. I normally use Hostgator for both as I have had great results with them to date but shopping around might be a good way to go. Here is a link to their hosting plans Hostgator Hosting. You can check out a possible domain name here Domain Name

When you decide on a domain name try and find one that is short and well suited to your forum content as this can have an impact on your forum at a later stage.

Then you need to look at what forum software you would like to use. There are a number of free forum software and purchased software. If you have a bit of cash to put into this purchasing a paid forum software is always nice as it gives your users a feeling you serious about your forum. Here is a good list of different forum software Best Forum Software Programs. Try and keep clear of vBulletin if possible as it seems it is on it's way out