1. While you are free to lurk, we welcome you to register for a (free) account so that you will be able to participate in forum discussions.

Banned from Google - Death of your site?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by KenBrace, Feb 25, 2015.

1. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

For us webmasters getting banned from Google is one of our nightmares.

But exactly how bad would it be for a forum?

Most forums that I'm on and that I enjoy were found via reading threads in google searches. I search a topic often and keep ending up on a certain site. So I eventually decide to join the site and start asking my own questions.

2. Rainman New Member

Rainman

While being banned from Google can spell D-E-A-T-H for your forum, it doesn't have to be so.

You need to diversify your traffic sources so that in case of anything you lose maybe only 50% of the traffic you were getting. That wouldn't be too bad for the forum because you could just get by with half the traffic you previously got as you work getting traffic from other sources.

There are some forums I've been on which hardly get any traffic from Google but they are doing well nonetheless. I believe that if the forum is great, word would get around the web anyway and since not everyone uses Google, others will [still] find your site using other search engines.

3. toradrake Member

toradrake

I don't think that being banned from Google is a death sentence. It can be a bit of a bite on the butt, but it wont kill you. The three most common used search mediums are Yahoo, Bing, and Google. Yahoo pulls from Bing, so being in Bing puts you into two search mediums at once. Then there are 1000's of other search mediums out there. MSN, ChaCha, DuckDuckGo, Mama... the list goes one. Those search engines would not exist if no one was using them. So you are still reaching the market. Just because a search engine pulls from Google does not mean they exclusively get their sites from them. Just make for certain you are in some of the other major search engines and you'll be fine. Then there is also the option of making for certain you are in Directories also. If you get your site out there, eventually Google will lift the ban and let you in, well depending on what you were banned for.

4. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Once a forum is well established and has a wide range of loyal members then Google starts to become less important. Granted it certainly does help pull in new traffic and grow your site but it eventually is no longer required to keep the site online.

Do you know what sort of things will get you permanently banned from Google? Might come in handy to know. I'm not really a SEO expert so I can always use advise.

5. toradrake Member

toradrake

6. tasha New Member

tasha

Wow who knew you could get banned! I have never checked these sort of things with my sites but I do need to become more aware of the seo and things like that in order to make my sites more valuable.

7. Niall95g New Member

Niall95g

Being banned from a search engine as large as Google will most probably affect your website traffic. I don't think it is as big of an issue however, social networks for example provide tonnes of internet traffic for most websites!

8. chasedood New Member

chasedood

It would be devastating in my opinion. However like everyone else said, there is so much more out there on the web than just Google. You have all the social media site, other search engines, other forums to promote on, and the list goes on and one. So I highly doubt it would be the death of the site if you were to get banned.

9. vespid49 New Member

vespid49

Getting banned from Google is certainly not a death sentence. Yes, you'll definitely lose some amount of traffic but if your site is among a variety of search engines and niche directories you should be okay. In any case, your whole site or forum should be built around the mentality that Google will NOT always be there, and when you do it that way, while taking a little longer, you will have a stable viewer base no matter what.
    In any case, Google isn't the only search engine on the planet. Some people are still partial to Yahoo and even Bing, so you will be getting traffic from those as well.

10. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

Often many forums become TOO dependent on search engines.

Sometimes you see sites with 157 guests online and only 4 members. That's not good for any site.

The ratio of viewers vs contributors is too great.

All of their traffic is coming from search engines rather than from actual members that are posting.

11. Converse Active Member

Converse

Often, the majority of them are search engine spiders. Some forum software differentiates spiders from people, but some don't.

12. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

That was one of the things I really liked about XenForo that the developers added. The original version 1.0 didn't separate the two. It's really nice to be able to see exactly how many real guests are online. This way I can get a much better idea of the traffic that my site gets.

I have seen some XF sites that actually do have a lot of real guests online though. They will have 4 members, 167 guests, and like 178 bots. To me that projects the image of a once great site that has turned into a ghost town. It looks to have once been thriving but has since lost most of its active members.

13. Converse Active Member

Converse

I get that when I do a Twitter campaign. I can drive more than a hundred people to the site in an few minutes but I will be fortunate if one of them registers an account.

KenBrace likes this.
  14. KenBrace New Member

KenBrace

I have experienced the exact same thing with Twitter. As soon as I share a link I will have dozens of people hit the site and then dissipate within a few minutes or so. It brings in lots of hits but they don't do much good since none of them sign up.

The only thing it really helps with is SEO I guess.

Occasionally you will get a member from social media but it's somewhat rare.

15. SYCB New Member

SYCB

I could definitely see how this could be like a death sentence for your website. If your site is new, most people will only find it by searching the things your site provides, and so this would really reduce traffic. However, there are still other ways to advertise and get visitors to your site. There are many websites that are popular and would be glad to host your ads, for a price. So, while this would probably greatly reduce your traffic, your site could still live on.

16. Jason76 Member

Jason76

Banning isn't the only nightmare. A lot of sites aren't banned by Google; they just can't rank. Proabably, they can't rank cause they won't utilize social media to the degree that Google wants, as well as produce a lot of quality content.

17. Converse Active Member

Converse

Do you really believe that? Quality content, yes, but I have seen zero evidence that social media helps a site rank in Google. If you can get traffic from social media, by all means do it but you're wasting your time if your objective is to improve your ranking in Google.

18. tasha New Member

tasha

I love google and use that for everything. The one thing I cannot stand is someone stealing my articles and with google it is efficient and they take action quickly enough for me not to lose traffic. OIther sites like blogger and random sites that you can never find should be banned as they cause irritation for everyone. Google bans sites that are crawling and riding on someone elses wave.

19. Jason76 Member

Jason76

If you afford the money, then I'd forget free visitors and buy some. At least you wouldn't have to worry with all this SEO hogwash. Paid traffic will possibly buy your product, and even if they don't, you have a second option. You can just setup some scheme where your visitors are exposed to banner or signature advertising.

20. tasha New Member

tasha

I have seen some of these on offer and wondered if it works and if it is allowed. My blog is on a site not owned by me so not sure but I would really love to get traffic to that site to make money from the ads